HELP! Nitro buggy won't start

Old 09-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HELP! Nitro buggy won't start

So I bought a Hobao hyper 7 tq2 with the .21 engine a few weeks back and my dad and I just can't get it started. We had gotten it started before with an old starter box as the pull start had broke from over pulling it, and we got it running although it was running unstable and died when we would throttle. The starter box then broke so we decided to take it to the hobby shop where we purchased it and we had gotten a new pull start and we got it tuned too. With excitement, we tried starting it again only to find ourselves unable to start it once again. The hobby shop owner said he started it in two strokes, yet after countless sore arms, my dad and I just can't get it started l. Can anyone please help, we want to know what we could be doing wrong and why it's not starting.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcuschung View Post
So I bought a Hobao hyper 7 tq2 with the .21 engine a few weeks back and my dad and I just can't get it started. We had gotten it started before with an old starter box as the pull start had broke from over pulling it, and we got it running although it was running unstable and died when we would throttle. The starter box then broke so we decided to take it to the hobby shop where we purchased it and we had gotten a new pull start and we got it tuned too. With excitement, we tried starting it again only to find ourselves unable to start it once again. The hobby shop owner said he started it in two strokes, yet after countless sore arms, my dad and I just can't get it started l. Can anyone please help, we want to know what we could be doing wrong and why it's not starting.
This is a new engine? So you still havn't done the break-in procedure?

Are you preheating it? If not, you need to get it up to about 200 degrees F.

Also, if this hobby shop tuned it, then they tuned an engine that hasn't been broke in yet?
Old 09-24-2019, 01:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mercfocus View Post
This is a new engine? So you still havn't done the break-in procedure?

Are you preheating it? If not, you need to get it up to about 200 degrees F.

Also, if this hobby shop tuned it, then they tuned an engine that hasn't been broke in yet?
Hi mercfocus;15515612, We've only been able to to the idle part of the break in procedure, although we weren't able to get it moving for the figure eights, which is why we took it to the hobby shop. The piston was also moving easily so we didn't think we needed to heat it up. Does heating it up help it start, or do people only do it to remove some pinch in the sleeve? Thanks
Old 09-24-2019, 01:16 AM
Tech Champion

Pre-heating will take away some pinch but also helps to make a better combustion with the start.Do you give some throttle to start up the engine?
Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marcuschung View Post
Hi mercfocus;15515612, We've only been able to to the idle part of the break in procedure, although we weren't able to get it moving for the figure eights, which is why we took it to the hobby shop. The piston was also moving easily so we didn't think we needed to heat it up. Does heating it up help it start, or do people only do it to remove some pinch in the sleeve? Thanks
Preheating makes the sleeve expand and that's how some of the pinch is relieved. The main thing about preheating is it brings the engine up to operating temps. This is especially helpful on unbroke engines because when you're trying to run it when it's still too cold, it most likely wants to die. The needle settings are giving it more oil so it will struggle cold.

I use Compitition Heat preheater and a foam sleeve over the head to help keep it from cooling while my HSN and LSN are set extra rich while driving it.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Make sure the glow plug is good/correct. Might just change it anyway to be sure. I had similar problem with an SH .28 engine, using the stock glow plug. It would idle a bit, and die with any throttle. Tried just about everything setting wise until finally just changing the plug to a Traxxas HD plug, and it ran perfectly after that.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Preheating makes the sleeve expand and that's how some of the pinch is relieved. The main thing about preheating is it brings the engine up to operating temps. This is especially helpful on unbroke engines because when you're trying to run it when it's still too cold, it most likely wants to die. The needle settings are giving it more oil so it will struggle cold.

I use Compitition Heat preheater and a foam sleeve over the head to help keep it from cooling while my HSN and LSN are set extra rich while driving it.
Oh ya, and another thing I do is to use the hottest plug I can find that's right for it. After reading above reply, I remember having issues with plugs being too cold.

A hot plug seems to help with the extra oil but then I replace with the right rating when I tune it after break-in.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Pre-heating will take away some pinch but also helps to make a better combustion with the start.Do you give some throttle to start up the engine?
hey Roelof, i read up that throttling will help it to start better especially if cold. Thanks for the response!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh ya, and another thing I do is to use the hottest plug I can find that's right for it. After reading above reply, I remember having issues with plugs being too cold.

A hot plug seems to help with the extra oil but then I replace with the right rating when I tune it after break-in.
Hey mercfocus, ill see if i can change the plug and I'll give preheating a try and get back to you in a bit thanks for your help!