Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By savage24x
  • 1 Post By Roelof

Question about clutch nut

Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Question about clutch nut

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dummy question, but I am unsure of it, so here goes! I have a werks b5 pro 2 motor that I am putting in an 8ight x. I put the collar all the way on the shaft. Then I put the clutch/flywheel. After that, I put the nut on the end, and hold clutch with my hand and tighten up the nut. After I tighten the nut though, the flywheel does not move freely. Its tight, and has alot of friction. Is this normal because its a brand new motor, and hasn't been broke in yet? If I turn it counterclockwise, the nut backs off as well. Normal?, or am I doing something wrong here. Thanks for all the input guys!!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You need to hold the flywheel in place with channel-locks and tighten that nut down. The flywheel moves with crankshaft, clutch bell spins freely from the crankshaft until clutch shoes engage.
E1 Diablo likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also, make sure you put just a dab of blue thread lock on that clutch if the manual calls for it. Especially if you have to take clutch off for Maintenance. the one time I forgot to put it on the clutch nut, it worked itself loose and rounded out the inside of the flywheel and damaged my collet...

i would say that checking your clutch/flywheel/ shoes and clutchbell bearings is some of the most important maintenance for nitro cars. I had a bearing go out last weekend and itís safe to say my clutch bell pretty much exploded and now has no teeth left on it. Iím still learning years later. Have fun with it though ! Itís a Blast
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM
Tech Champion

No locktite is needed, if the flywheel comes loose then something else is wrong.
savage24x likes this.