Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Can anybody help please?? Engine troubles! >

Can anybody help please?? Engine troubles!

Can anybody help please?? Engine troubles!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Can anybody help please?? Engine troubles!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and wondered if anybody could give me some advice with my RC car! I'm​​​​I'm a complete noob with RC nitro so please forgive any silly questions!

I recently bought a second hand RC nitro truggy, it was in pieces (hence the cheap price) and I decided that I needed a project and would love to get into it!

I rebuilt the truck, watching endless amounts of YouTube tutorials on every little part making sure everything was out together correctly and mounted right and working as it should!
I checked that the clutch worked fine, everything moved as it should, bought new air filter foam for it and lubed the gears! I Eventually figured it all out and got everything working and set the way it should!

I finally got my glow plug ignitor this morning and was dying to get it running so I put the ignitor on charge for around 4 hours, I know it's supposed to be 12 but I was excited, and set about starting it! I primed the carb, put a couple drops of fuel in the engine itself to help as it hadn't been started in a while presumably, and it fired up...for about 3 seconds and then cut out. Everytime I start this thing, it'll run for a second or two and then cut out! I've checked everything that YouTube told me check and the only 3 things I can come up with are that the ignitor isn't charged properly (which I'm unsure about because it fires up briefly), dodgy glow plugs so I've ordered some new ones, and the carb settings but I've reset them to factory settings? I've been trying to about 20 minutes today and have took the skin off my knuckle on the pull start trying to get the thing started to no avail! Any help would be appreciated massively!

A truck seems to be a jumble of different RC nitro vehicle but as far as I'm aware I have a HPI 4.6 engine, god knows what chassis but the shell doesn't fit over the exhaust so I assume the wrong one! I'll try and link some pics to help! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you reset the needles, lean the lsn out until you can get it to idle.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And keep the idle gap to 0.5-0.7mm to start with. An engine that quits with the glow driver attached is usually way too rich. This is evidenced by an engine that idles on its own with glow heat attached and the engine quits when glow heat is removed.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:13 PM
am
Tech Master

Nitro engines that have not been used for a while can have old fuel in the carburettor. When the fuel is old, it coagulates (almoast like blood) and fresh fuel will not pass through the nozle in the carburator. Since it will start when you put a few drops in the engie, i assume what i describe could be your problem.

Tray and clean you carnurattor in nitro fuel. Soemtimes you can let it soak for a while, attace a fuel tube to the carb and blow through it with the carburettor slide wide open.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful (but sometimes steep learnigncurve) of nitro rc cars :-)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Sounds like the LSN is too rich. Had the same issues with a brand new SH .28 engine, the vendor(Redcat Racing) had set the break-in settings literally two full turns out from factory recommended on both needles. I know that they set these things rich for break-in, but c'mon, it's gotta at least run for more than a few second to actually break in! I reset it back to factory(in this case, both needles 3 turns out from closed), and it fired up and stayed running just fine, with plenty of blue smoke coming out. Also, make sure the leave the igniter on a little bit while the engine warms some, or it'll stall if it's even slightly rich.

Ultimately you just need to find the LSN setting that works best for the engine. Start at factory, and likely you'll need to lean it some, about 1/8 turn at a time to check. If it's idling ok and stalls when you give it throttle, lean out the HSN a little as well. Make sure it's spitting out some smoke/oil, and always good to keep a temp gun around.