Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Best way to get fuel to the engine? >

Best way to get fuel to the engine?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bob.less
  • 1 Post By morgoth

Best way to get fuel to the engine?

Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Best way to get fuel to the engine?

Good morning,

Iím fairly new to nitro and cannot seem to find a clear answer on priming. Those of you with a starter box, does the priming occur when the fly wheel is being spun? How do you get fuel to move through the tubing? Thanks
Old 06-27-2019, 03:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Once you pre heat the engine close to 200* with your finger cover the exhaust port and press the car down on the starter box, causing the flywheel to rotate. As you have the exhaust plugged, this causes a the pressure to go to the tank, creating a suction of the fuel to the carb.

if your fuel line is clear, which Serpents usually is, you should see the fuel move along the tube to the carb. You will also hear a slight change on the engine once it starts receiving fuel. There is when you stop.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 AM
Tech Champion

Keep the finger on the exhaust, full pressure will be on the tank pushing fuel into the carburator.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LoudOne View Post
Good morning,

Iím fairly new to nitro and cannot seem to find a clear answer on priming. Those of you with a starter box, does the priming occur when the fly wheel is being spun? How do you get fuel to move through the tubing? Thanks
Or......this is what I do......Unplug the fuel pressure line from the exaust ...... While keeping an eye on the fuel line going into the carb..... gently blow into the pressure line until the fuel comes just up to the carb ! ! ! Plug the pressure line back in end bump box it. Do not blow fuel into the carb or it will pressure lock with fuel ! If you put in too much fuel....... remove glow plug and roll motor over a few times to blow out excess fuel ...re-install plug..
8ight-t_sbs and the rc guy like this.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK but why risk getting fuel and put a dirty pressure line in you mouth when you could... not do that?
Old 06-28-2019, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

I do it the following way, I fill the tank I open the whole carburetor. withdraw the fuel pipe from the exhaust and leave it with your mouth until you see the fuel entering the carburetor a little enough.
I connect the fuel pipe to the exhaust.
I think it's the easiest way to get fuel into the engine.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by frewster View Post
OK but why risk getting fuel and put a dirty pressure line in you mouth when you could... not do that?
Its a faster prime . Less time on the bump box.for me......and Im not OCD ........
Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Plugging the exhaust only takes 2 seconds to get fuel to the carb for me. No way the other method would be faster.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Bump it on the box for 2-3 seconds while keeping your finger on the exhaust. It will build up pressure in the tank and fuel will start moving into the carb.
E1 Diablo likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bob.less View Post
Its a faster prime . Less time on the bump box.for me......and Im not OCD ........
I use the same method of blowing into the pressure line, but I time it once fuel reaches the carb you blow for a half second only. After you do it a few times, it gets easier. This almost always gives fire after one or two hits past TDC.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
Plugging the exhaust only takes 2 seconds to get fuel to the carb for me. No way the other method would be faster.
It’s not about speed, it’s about getting a perfect prime every time for quick starts. I don’t like turning an engine over if there isn’t fuel at the carb because there is much less oil covering parts for a longer period of time until fuel reaches the carb and gets into the bottom of the engine. Maybe it’s pedantic, maybe not. It works and hasnt caused me any problems and also doesn’t require extra effort. Preheat engine, prime the fuel system, light the glow plug and hit the bump box and give some throttle. It works like science almost every single time. Below is a perfect example.