Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Novarossi p5 wont start without throttle please help >

Novarossi p5 wont start without throttle please help

Novarossi p5 wont start without throttle please help

Old 06-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Novarossi p5 wont start without throttle please help

Hey, so i got a nova p5 that has 2 gallons on it so far. Ever since its first start it has never started without me having to give it throttle? Many other people at my track start their engines without giving them gas and it idles perfectly. Mine however if it starts without throttle will be at very low rpm and die within a second. I always preheat my engine and when i do start it up it's perfectly tuned and runs like a dream at 240f. While this isn't really a big problem it bothers me. So anyone who knows what this might be please help. Thanks
Old 06-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

allot of people use the idle up feature on radios when they first start up
Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have two P5s and I've always needed to blip the throttle a bit when spinning them over.

I think what you're experiencing is fairly normal.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Just give it throttle then.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What is your idle gap? Try setting the carb back to factory settings. Given that you have 2 gallons on that engine, I would do 3 turns out on the HSN and about 4.5 turns out on the LSN. Set idle gap to 0.7mm (use a small paper clip to help with gap size)
Make sure your throttle end points are correct as well.

Another factor is how do you store your engine at the end of the day? Do you pinch the fuel line in order to let the engine clean itself out, or stop the flywheel and store it? If the latter, fuel will evaporate inside the engine leaving the oil only. Thus why you need to blip the throttle when starting as it needs to clean out.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Face it, after 2 gallons you will have some compression loss. Not much that the engine will not run but enough to notice with a cold start.

Needing to give some throttle to start it up is normal, no need to look for a solution and if you want one the remove 0.05mm headshim (replace an 0.15 for an 0.1)
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
What is your idle gap? Try setting the carb back to factory settings. Given that you have 2 gallons on that engine, I would do 3 turns out on the HSN and about 4.5 turns out on the LSN. Set idle gap to 0.7mm (use a small paper clip to help with gap size)
Make sure your throttle end points are correct as well.

Another factor is how do you store your engine at the end of the day? Do you pinch the fuel line in order to let the engine clean itself out, or stop the flywheel and store it? If the latter, fuel will evaporate inside the engine leaving the oil only. Thus why you need to blip the throttle when starting as it needs to clean out.
I plug the exhaust ever time i stop it. idle gap is 0.6mm now thinking about it i do run the low end a little rich so that might be it.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Face it, after 2 gallons you will have some compression loss. Not much that the engine will not run but enough to notice with a cold start.

Needing to give some throttle to start it up is normal, no need to look for a solution and if you want one the remove 0.05mm headshim (replace an 0.15 for an 0.1)
The engine runs really well so im not gonna get into that. Im on 30% nitro with stock shimming. Funny thing is it will start without throttle when it runs after a while and gets to operating temp. I only heat it up to 170-180, im not really concerned about this just want to hear people' opinions if it's normal. Thank you
Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jstaykov15 View Post
The engine runs really well so im not gonna get into that. Im on 30% nitro with stock shimming. Funny thing is it will start without throttle when it runs after a while and gets to operating temp. I only heat it up to 170-180, im not really concerned about this just want to hear people' opinions if it's normal. Thank you
well when its up to operating temp it better start and idle well or your tune is off. my p5 always takes a little throttle to start as its only 150-170 deg so its still rich.. if when the motor is cold and it starts and idles good then you will be very lean once you get to operating temps which you know.. so don't sweat the little things.. enjoy racing and be glad you have a well tuned motor as there is a lot of guys that have a hard time tuning engines.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by J.Whiting View Post
well when its up to operating temp it better start and idle well or your tune is off. my p5 always takes a little throttle to start as its only 150-170 deg so its still rich.. if when the motor is cold and it starts and idles good then you will be very lean once you get to operating temps which you know.. so don't sweat the little things.. enjoy racing and be glad you have a well tuned motor as there is a lot of guys that have a hard time tuning engines.
Thank you, yeah i was thinking it was normal but wasn't really sure. I do see quite a lot of people at my track running their engines extremely lean lol. I will sure enjoy racing.