Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ? >

Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ?

Like Tree1Likes

Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ?

Reply

Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 PM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Shady3275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 58
Default Do clutch shoes & bell need to be replaced ?

How much life can you get out of clutch shoes and a clutch bell ? Does the bell eventually wear out and need to be replaced too ?

On the shoes iíve already filled the edges back down smooth once before, and cleaned a lot of metal shavings off the bell before as well. After my last run it didnít feel like my clutch was engaging quick and buggy (nb48.3) wasnít as responsive on acceleration like it normally is. It also sounded like metal grinding on metal noise when accelerating, not sure if this could be lack of traction, since track was in poor condition or if my clutch needs some rebuilding. See the pics I have attached, these are the stock shoes, bell and springs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanksu

Shady3275 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 PM
  #2  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: from a wee town in TX
Posts: 197
Default

Originally Posted by Shady3275 View Post
How much life can you get out of clutch shoes and a clutch bell ? Does the bell eventually wear out and need to be replaced too ?

On the shoes iíve already filled the edges back down smooth once before, and cleaned a lot of metal shavings off the bell before as well. After my last run it didnít feel like my clutch was engaging quick and buggy (nb48.3) wasnít as responsive on acceleration like it normally is. It also sounded like metal grinding on metal noise when accelerating, not sure if this could be lack of traction, since track was in poor condition or if my clutch needs some rebuilding. See the pics I have attached, these are the stock shoes, bell and springs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanksu

I would say yes, adam drake has a video on measuring wear and when to replace losi or copied clutch.
iplaygames is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:16 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,563
Default

The shoes look pretty worn. I'd replace those.
And I maintain the inside of the clutchbell with a dremel every time I replace the shoes. Just keep going around in circles until the metal that's stuck to it is gone.
Shady3275 likes this.
morgoth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:46 PM
  #4  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Shady3275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 58
Default

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
The shoes look pretty worn. I'd replace those.
And I maintain the inside of the clutchbell with a dremel every time I replace the shoes. Just keep going around in circles until the metal that's stuck to it is gone.

Does anyone have a link to drakes video ? Iíve looked and I canít find one regarding clutch Maintenace or when to replace clutch shoes.

ive got a new set of shoes Iím gonna go ahead and replace them. I was a bit concerned about the clutch bell, is that normal to have a large build up of metal shavings ?

Also so should I go ahead and replace the springs to, is the rule of thumb to replace both at the same time ?
Shady3275 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Shady3275 View Post



Does anyone have a link to drakes video ? Iíve looked and I canít find one regarding clutch Maintenace or when to replace clutch shoes.

ive got a new set of shoes Iím gonna go ahead and replace them. I was a bit concerned about the clutch bell, is that normal to have a large build up of metal shavings ?

Also so should I go ahead and replace the springs to, is the rule of thumb to replace both at the same time ?
I looked too! Canít find it myself. Anyone?
xlrsd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: from a wee town in TX
Posts: 197
Default

I see 99% of the losi/tlr vids of adam are now deleted... send him a message he will still answer
iplaygames is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Quinby south Carolina
Posts: 1,454
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Whoo it looks like u had fun with those shoes. I donít think Iíve ever gotten anywhere near that amount of time on a clutch, Iíve pished a set back in the day 2 gallons and it was smoked. Yours looks to have atleast 3 gallons maybe even 4. Iíve had days where a set of shoes are done just in 1 day so yes u do need to really maintain your clutch, filing it down is great but after 1-2 times of that u gotta change them. And also your clutch Bell should be changed when u start seeing the teeth get chewed up from use. Again Iíve had days where the clutch Bell was under so much torque from an aluminum center diff mount that it ruined the Bell putting notches in each tooth. U canít miss that lol just roll the buggy n u will hear it.
Matt Piva is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,950
Default

I always go with 23.5mm. Under this I replace the clutch.
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 207
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by token View Post
I always go with 23.5mm. Under this I replace the clutch.
as in, the depth of what remains of the shoe? But where do you measure for this? In the end, middle, etc??
xlrsd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: from a wee town in TX
Posts: 197
Default

Originally Posted by token View Post
I always go with 23.5mm. Under this I replace the clutch.
do you have a link for new clutch shoes, odd to post and not put a link.
iplaygames is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,950
Default

Originally Posted by iplaygames View Post
do you have a link for new clutch shoes, odd to post and not put a link.
Sure because I'm not a butt. AND I don't drive this brand - have a great day....
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5350-flywheel-4-shoe/
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5351...pcs-nb48-nt48/
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr4215...bell-15t-nb48/
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5353...set-nb48-nt48/
token is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Quinby south Carolina
Posts: 1,454
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I didnít want to speculate with mm cause I couldnít remember what I remember being exact but 23.5 is only .5 mm from what I remember when I was trying to think of how much I remember hearing. So I would say 23.5 is right. U take calipers and measure from pad to pad where they wear. The difference in new shoes to old is not much and I donít know how much different from brand to brand there could (possibly) be which I donít think there should be any because clutch bells are pretty standard size if Iím not wrong? I would say yours are like in the 22s lmao. Good job getting time on them tho thatís sick!!

also I am running losi. Different brand but again I think clutch bells might have a universally simalar size between brands!
Matt Piva is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:05 AM
  #13  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Shady3275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 58
Default


I had new shoes and springs. Iíve just never replaced them since building my kit. I didnít know if I was at the itís time to change them or if I was long overdue. Thanks for all of the info. I went ahead and put new springs in too, and smoothed our the inside of the clutch bell.
Shady3275 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:19 AM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
 
Shady3275's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 58
Default

How often do you nitro racers usually replace the bearings in the clutch bell ? I went to put in a new inner bearing, and I was replacing with a protek 5x13x4mm and after installing the new bearing my clutch bell wouldnít spin near as fast as it did with the original bearing. I went to take it off and the bearing was seated very tightly on my engines crankshaft, it was rather hard to get off the crankshaft , do these clutch bell bearings take a little while to ďbreak inĒ so the bell will spin fast ?
Shady3275 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM
  #15  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
frewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 408
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

It depends on the bearings. I've had TKOs last gallons. I don't change them before races anymore. All other bearings I've tried can blow out at any time. Especially if you've got a lot of chassis flex.
frewster is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service