Smart break-in system

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Smart break-in system

Oh man... here we go, another new breakin machine

https://smartbreakinsystem.com

ryanster1999 and Morpheus1289 like this.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

Seen this last year sometime. Lutz has had them listed on his site too. Would like to hear some feedback.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Ordered one up last week. Should have it in a couple weeks.

Little intro from Ryan
Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Tech Lord

It is a nice idea but too complicated, too expensive and too noisy but it looks good.

The oilbath methode is simple, you can do it in the house, at any time and no tuning required. Also beside a cheap electric motor the oilbath has no wearable parts like a clutch, starter wheel, gears and a servo.
Morpheus1289 likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought about this a long time ago, but I found the idea useless as long as you don't have automated adjustment of the carb.
If the place you're at can handle the noise, it's as easy to use the car, for me at least. And as it isn't 100% automated you could use a bench and a propp and skip the spinning rims that end up doing nothing special.

But maybe something good will come from it, if they stay in business, as that price is .
Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just don't see a market for this. Breaking in an engine these days is so easy compared to years ago.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ROSCOE
Ordered one up last week. Should have it in a couple weeks.

Little intro from Ryan
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJZpwa6uzw
let me know how your experience goes with it
Old 05-18-2019, 07:45 AM
Tech Initiate

This seems a bit much to me. All this expensive equipment and I bet it does nothing to extend the life of that motor or make it run any better. I've broke in and tuned an out of the box bs HPI motor and it ran great. Threw a different head on it, an OS carb, and cut the pullstart nub off and the thing was a beast. I've had an OS .12 and a .15 that could idle a tank of fuel through it if I wanted and with just a blip of the throttle it was flying in my cars. I still have my 15 year old OS RZ that throws my truggy around like a rag doll, and I bought a used motor that was said to need a rebuild but with a couple adjustment blows the tires loose on my buggy and after a tank of fuel I can grab the head and carry the car. Every motor I've bought I broke in the old fashion way and tuned. It just takes patience and small adjustments to make these things run good. All this oil bath break in and expensive break in machines are just too get more money out of you and really don't do much in my opinion.

Just 2 cents guys. 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mbx4man

Just 2 cents guys. 🤷🏻*♂️
We do get that, and those discussions have been brought up in all the various break in methods, from the old Hudy Breakin Bench, to the EBIS and this.

Yet consider, while this or any of these systems may not be cheap, they are also marketed towards a service, i.e. Adam Drake offers EBIS break in service, Tekno has their break in service, and surely Ryan will perhaps offer this as well with the new Smart Break in System.

There are many hobbyists that do not enjoy breaking in motors, so these type of systems and services are perfect for them. Not to mention when we buy 3 or more new race motors for the track, those take time to break in, and again this is where the EBIS, Smart Break in, and other such systems come in handy.

It is a given that these all will require a final run in and tune.

Yes its not for everyone, and I am biased towards the EBIS style system, yet there is more than one way of doing it, and for me the convenience of such systems is welcome addition to our hobby.
Morpheus1289 likes this.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Tech Lord

For sure with onroad racers they need several engines a year so a break in of them all takes a lot of time and patience.

As you can see on these forums there is a demand of a break in service of all kind of reasons like no time but also the lack of knowledge. Most people buying such a system will also provide a service so they can make some money with the investment.

A simple basher will have no efford of such expensive break in machines because he is in no competition and does not need that much engines.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

If it's aimed at Pro's then why have a bunch of automated stuff that you could control easy by yourself and for the engine you're running in...

Looking through their webb page you notice strange wording, bad spelling and a constant loop to "send enquiry".
They claim it has AI, but from the information they provide through video and site it's just an half automated machine, but sure sounds cool if nothing else.
One point they make is that "long idling is bad", then the thing runs 4 long idling periods.
Though they do say that it's adjustable, anything showing there is close to the same regarding temperature, and that's not a natural thing for the engines.
They show printouts of telemetry data, but temperature and rpm that's (also) automated isn't exactly useful information when you don't know load and mixture. But sure looks flashy with wavy diagrams!
The loading unit seems to be some viscous slipper clutch, so it probably won't be able to hold any prolonged loading, and that's supported by their telemetry data printouts. One argument they make is that you don't need to wear down your car doing a break in (and it's aimed at Pro's offering break in service??), but the loading unit coming in at $32 will most likely wear out pretty quick if doing a real loaded break in instead of long idling periods.
At one place they say it will put "different load, pressure(?), temperature and speed recommended by the manufacturers". Seriously?!? As a rhetorical statement it doesn't control all of those things, and read as a statement I have yet to see any manufacturer to post any of those data.
They say components will expand according to operating temperature, what operating temperature? It's heated and cooled down automatically on the head, so the piston that's cooled by the fuel wont experience this due to zero mixture control and no prolonged loading. Further, if this is a stab at the EBIS, you're still not getting the engine to it's final temperature range where it's going to run the rest of its life.

I'm sorry, but this seems like a couple of guys had a beer and went out to the garage to whip something up. Don't get me wrong, it's cool when you try out ideas, but when you start making them and marketing them this way it's Snake Oil.

ps. even at part throttle/rpm you will make 0,8hp, that's close to 600watt that the loading unit needs to take care of, and would boil 1,6 liter 20c water in about 15 minutes.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

I will give that to Nitrovein, their website is useless, and still full of the default wording for tabs and content of such sites.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Initiate

If I watched correctly, did he have to put a special head on it with the temp sensor and warmer built in? If so doesn't that defeat the purpose because I'm sure the factory head will cool differently in the car then will that one standing still. I dunno
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

This seems a bit much to me. All this expensive equipment and I bet it does nothing to extend the life of that motor or make it run any better. I've broke in and tuned an out of the box bs HPI motor and it ran great. Threw a different head on it, an OS carb, and cut the pullstart nub off and the thing was a beast. I've had an OS .12 and a .15 that could idle a tank of fuel through it if I wanted and with just a blip of the throttle it was flying in my cars. I still have my 15 year old OS RZ that throws my truggy around like a rag doll, and I bought a used motor that was said to need a rebuild but with a couple adjustment blows the tires loose on my buggy and after a tank of fuel I can grab the head and carry the car. Every motor I've bought I broke in the old fashion way and tuned. It just takes patience and small adjustments to make these things run good. All this oil bath break in and expensive break in machines are just too get more money out of you and really don't do much in my opinion.

Just 2 cents guys. 🤷🏻*♂️
I'm not sure what relevance your engines has to the discussion... but most sport oriented engines isn't as tight and hard to break in as a race engine, if that helps.

If I watched correctly, did he have to put a special head on it with the temp sensor and warmer built in? If so doesn't that defeat the purpose because I'm sure the factory head will cool differently in the car then will that one standing still. I dunno
It doesn't matter what it is that's cooling the engine on the outside, only the temperature. On the inside and sort of half way down on the engine it's mostly the fuel that's cooling the engine. So that heater and cooling fan isn't out of order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.