Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By timjs
  • 1 Post By frewster

After run maintenance

Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default After run maintenance

What all do you guys normally do after each run maintenance wise? Just after run oil and clean filter or is there more you like to do.
What about the less frequent stuff like checking and cleaning the clutch and changing dif fluids. How often should that be done?
Havenít stepped into the racing yet, just having fun bashing so far, but I definitely push it. Itís a losi 8ight, the RTR Kit.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

For bashing about every gallon i do complete teardown fresh fluids and bearings as needed as well as new clutch and clutchbell. For my race cars i do this before every race
Old 04-20-2019, 04:01 AM
Tech Addict

I'm the complete opposite. I neglect every aspect of my trucks until something breaks because I just can't be bothered. It doesn't really bite me as much as you might think.
GripTLR likes this.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
I'm the complete opposite. I neglect every aspect of my trucks until something breaks because I just can't be bothered. It doesn't really bite me as much as you might think.
This. Also, if you run a quality fuel with a good dose of castor in it, you shouldnít need after run oil unless you intend to store the engine for a year or more. Then you will want an oil to prevent the castor varnish from getting too sticky.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

I used to replace clutch bearings after qualifying but with TKO bearings they'll last at least a gallon.
daveflyr likes this.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
Thats what Iíve been doing for a while and havenít had any problems, I imagine tear downs and replacements every time really adds up.
I run VP fuel but want to find Byronís somewhere local.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

If I'll be running the car soon, I'll just dump excess fuel from the tank and leave it. If I won't drive it for a week or more, I'll put some after run oil. Before every race day check the clutch bell bearings. That's more or less my regular maintenance, I'll do a full or partial rebuild of the car before bigger races
Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM
wfo
Tech Regular

I'll add some homemade AR thats 3 parts trans fluid and 1 part 3 n one. a few drops will never hurt..ive been doing it for 10+ years
Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At the end of the day I empty the tank, and run engine completely out of fuel and rotate engine to BDC.. I've done it that way for 20 years.

The alcohol in the fuel attracting moisture is what will cause rust in the engine. If that is all burned through, all that is left is a little oil protecting the engine internals and nothing will rust.

I did that and stored a motor in my original RC8 for 10 years in my garage. I dumped in fresh fuel last summer and it fired right up instantly to my surprise. I pulled the engine apart after that, engine looked great inside, no rust at all.

For a race car, I put a new or cleaned and oiled filter on every running day. I also check and inspect the clutch and clutch bearings for every running day, change bearings as needed.

I pull the motor apart and clean the piston top and inspect it every 2 gallons or so.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Same as others, run till something breaks. I've had this OS RZ in my buggy for almost 15 years. Raced it for a while, then it sat recently for about 6 on my toolbox in my shop. My cousin since paralyzed got the itch for RC and bought a bunch of stuff so I decided to dust it off and even though it was gummed up, a little marvel mystery oil in the glow plug, sit over night and a turn of the flywheel the thing fired right up and ran like it was never touched. Ran so good I took it out of the buggy and put it in the truggy I just got. My friend still says that must be a special case or something. 🤷🏻*♂️

Last edited by Mbx4man; 05-18-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

My TKO clutch bearings survived Lonestar this weekend. I bet they have at least a gallon on them by now.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mbx4man View Post
Same as others, run till something breaks. I've had this OS RZ in my buggy for almost 15 years. Raced it for a while, then it sat recently for about 6 on my toolbox in my shop. My cousin since paralyzed got the itch for RC and bought a bunch of stuff so I decided to dust it off and even though it was gummed up, a little marvel mystery oil in the glow plug, sit over night and a turn of the flywheel the thing fired right up and ran like it was never touched. Ran so good I took it out of the buggy and put it in the truggy I just got. My friend still says that must be a special case or something. 🤷🏻*♂️
I noticed you put a heat shield on your fuel tank, between it and the pipe. Would this be a good thing to do in a racing application, or is this more of a bashing thing?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

It doesn't hurt putting a heat shield. Is it necessary, nope
Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by xlrsd View Post

I noticed you put a heat shield on your fuel tank, between it and the pipe. Would this be a good thing to do in a racing application, or is this more of a bashing thing?
I bought the car with that on there so I left it. He put it on the inside of the body as well. Not a bad idea in the body, kept the paint from rubbing off