Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Engines running weird in the first 10 minutes? Good thread to read... >

Engines running weird in the first 10 minutes? Good thread to read...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Piva
  • 1 Post By Matt Piva

Engines running weird in the first 10 minutes? Good thread to read...

Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Engines running weird in the first 10 minutes? Good thread to read...

hey guys, pretty simple Phenomenon that keeps happening on my os engines lately and I know weather hasnít been playing a factor.

Everytime i take me a fresh rotated engine out the last few times Iíve had my engines tune acting weird, when I go the engine tune is perfect like last drive then about 5 minutes in the tune usually goes super rich where I pull it in and get it tuned right (usually around a turn leaner on top and bottom, then 10 minutes later it starts going back to normal and I head back to my normal set up and itís happened a few times now on my normal days. Thankfully itís quiet so I can get the engine back normal pretty fast but what if this happens on a race day where I canít hear a dang thing when my cars on the track! So my question is have any of you had this weird issues where the tune gets thrown off early and is there a way where I donít need to tune it way off then go back all within an hour like Iíve been doing? Why would this be happening?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

so happening with all engines? then it has to be a fuel related issue(tank, lines etc) OR maybe too much oil in filter or something silly like that?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I’ve had needle on my O.S. turn by them selves. Check high speed needle oring
Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iplaygames View Post
so happening with all engines? then it has to be a fuel related issue(tank, lines etc) OR maybe too much oil in filter or something silly like that?
I would think that but after that little hiccup each day the engines run fine. Not sure if this is fuel. Iím going to get a tank tomorrow and get my stuff all replaced leading to the engines. Maybe the stone can get plugged and thatís whatís going on.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

Are you talking about one engine your having a problem with or more then one? Cause you saying engines.

Hereís some things to look for especially if more then one engine.
fuel tank
fuel tank lid tight
replace all fuel line
pipe gaskets
engine gasket to pipe
springs tight on pipe to engine
springs tight on pipe

As said above If tune is changing when you screw your high speed needle in and out is there like no resistance? Very easy to turn. You may need to take out the high speed needle completely and replace gaskets as said above. Another thing is check your backplate make sure itís tight. Check shims on head button if there all in good shape. Head button on tight. Is carb on tight with pinch bolt is there a gasket in there good.
Linkage good and smooth and opening and closing properly the same every time?
Mend points set
Iím not sure of your experience so Iím trying to see what you know etc
Is fuel old?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Soyer View Post
Iíve had needle on my O.S. turn by them selves. Check high speed needle oring
it was this! For some reason a few of my top speed needles have gotten so lose they turn on hard landings.
jersey likes this.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post

it was this! For some reason a few of my top speed needles have gotten so lose they turn on hard landings.
yea that will do it. The O-rings wear out after all them adjustments and fuel breaking them down. Iíve had some lose ones also. It should always have resistance if not replace it.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jersey View Post

yea that will do it. The O-rings wear out after all them adjustments and fuel breaking them down. Iíve had some lose ones also. It should always have resistance if not replace it.
yep. I was pretty confused cause this happened with 2 engines so I never thought to look at the needles. When I did I noticed both could be turned with 0 resistance like there were no o ring to hold it. I also remembered seeing a bunch of fuel on my hsn but thought maybe it was fuel slash since it didnít have it a second time. Iím guessing it was easily over looked because the problem wouldnít continue. In reality it would continue and get worse, when I took the hsn out the o ring was visibly worn out and flat. Nuts but itís fixed now thanks for the help.
jersey likes this.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Cut a small slice off from a piece of fuel tube and use it as an O-ring. Works perfect!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post

yep. I was pretty confused cause this happened with 2 engines so I never thought to look at the needles. When I did I noticed both could be turned with 0 resistance like there were no o ring to hold it. I also remembered seeing a bunch of fuel on my hsn but thought maybe it was fuel slash since it didnít have it a second time. Iím guessing it was easily over looked because the problem wouldnít continue. In reality it would continue and get worse, when I took the hsn out the o ring was visibly worn out and flat. Nuts but itís fixed now thanks for the help.
nice glad you got it fixed, yea with nitro there is many things that are commonly overlooked. Iíd say after every rebuild itís good practice to put new gaskets in the engine to