47.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree19Likes

fuel oil percentage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by NitroVein
It actually says on Byrons website that they get "custom designed oil package from Klotz".
Byron Originals-Champion RC Fuel
From what we have used over the years it would not supprise me that it is just normal oil with another lable.I do not believe that "special for RC" crap as most oils and grease used in the RC are just re-bottled standard oils. But hey, if you tell that no one would buy it.
If you calculate the max RPM into speed of the piston and surface speed of the crankpin it is nothing more than with larger motocycle and car engines, the only difference is the lack of a piston ring. That is why some kind of transmission oils are also used by some home brewing people.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

25/9 VP for me!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
From what we have used over the years it would not supprise me that it is just normal oil with another lable.I do not believe that "special for RC" crap as most oils and grease used in the RC are just re-bottled standard oils. But hey, if you tell that no one would buy it.
If you calculate the max RPM into speed of the piston and surface speed of the crankpin it is nothing more than with larger motocycle and car engines, the only difference is the lack of a piston ring. That is why some kind of transmission oils are also used by some home brewing people.
It's the same for all types of oil, they are made and offered, then someone buys them and mix them with other oils and additivs and finally label it as "something".
That's one reason why many oils has unspecified oils in them, they mfg that blend the final product knows there are several types of oils that will meet the specification, so they buy what's cheapest at the time.
Though Ester oils tend to be more specifically made for a purpose, that's kind of their strength, that they can be tailor made for specific use. But then they are too expensive, so pretty much no RC fuel mfg offer them, good enough will do if they can save a buck.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

It actually says on Byrons website that they get "custom designed oil package from Klotz".
Byron Originals-Champion RC Fuel
interesting

i must not have been paying attention ..... it use to be synthetics from Lucas oils

Ryan sent me some GEN3 version of fuel for test but it didnt quite stack up .....im guessing this is when the change happened .... sooo late 2017 early 2018
Old 12-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by houston
interesting

i must not have been paying attention ..... it use to be synthetics from Lucas oils

Ryan sent me some GEN3 version of fuel for test but it didnt quite stack up .....im guessing this is when the change happened .... sooo late 2017 early 2018
Bottom of the page.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Bottom of the page.
i seen it .....i know klotz oils were used in this blend so this is probably when the switch happened

heres what i was referring to ...
Old 12-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by houston
i seen it .....i know klotz oils were used in this blend so this is probably when the switch happened

heres what i was referring to ...
It goes to show that it's a lot more to it then just pouring stuff in a jug and shake it. It can work for your backyard driving, but not when everything needs to come together on a race track.
Great that they test the fuel thoroughly before releasing it, there is several fuels that should have gone through the same screening process but didn't.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:50 PM
Tech Prophet

It goes to show that it's a lot more to it then just pouring stuff in a jug and shake it. It can work for your backyard driving, but not when everything needs to come together on a race track.
Great that they test the fuel thoroughly before releasing it, there is several fuels that should have gone through the same screening process but didn't.
boy you aint kidding ....lol
Old 12-15-2018, 06:31 AM
am
Tech Master

If they use the same oils and ratios between oils, then yes.

My experience is that 9% oil veras the engine out faster than 11. That is Byron fuels. I bought 2 cases of 25/9 beacuse an engine manufactor adviced it. I was not satisfied and my engines started wearing faster. I used three engies taht seaaong from Nova. (they were not behind the Byron statement). I ended up using 2% Castor from the pharmacy and it gor alot better.
J.Whiting likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by am
My experience is that 9% oil veras the engine out faster than 11. That is Byron fuels. I bought 2 cases of 25/9 beacuse an engine manufactor adviced it. I was not satisfied and my engines started wearing faster. I used three engies taht seaaong from Nova. (they were not behind the Byron statement). I ended up using 2% Castor from the pharmacy and it gor alot better.
That's how it can be sometimes. The rest of the engine setup sometimes changes things too, these engines are pretty sensitive to how the oil package works.
For all out racing sometimes a gallon more or less from the engine isn't a big deal as well, if you get a stable running engine, good power, good runtime etc etc. As long as you find something you're happy with all is good.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:07 AM
am
Tech Master

The best fuel i have ever used is Labemax from France. very very VERY smooth engine and easy to adjust. good top speed. Better runtime too. Byrons is a good fuel but feels explosive and brutal compared to Labemax.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by am
The best fuel i have ever used is Labemax from France. very very VERY smooth engine and easy to adjust. good top speed. Better runtime too. Byrons is a good fuel but feels explosive and brutal compared to Labemax.
And I feel the opposite, that Byrons might be a little bit too smooth. If you feel that the engine has too much torque and wants to spool too easy, just dial it back on the clutch and other setups. But it can be driver difference as well, if you gun it all the time I can see your point.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by am
And even then it is hard to say if it was the fuel. Nova is playing a lot with different piston materials and we have seen worn away pistons within the 1st 5 liter of use and for sure it was not the fuel.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
And even then it is hard to say if it was the fuel. Nova is playing a lot with different piston materials and we have seen worn away pistons within the 1st 5 liter of use and for sure it was not the fuel.
In most cases a bad fuel will wear down the crank pin. So with some of the fuels on the market, maybe it isn't so strange that we see more and more DLC being used...
kgombe likes this.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

About wear
I think the impact of air filter is much higher than the oil cut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.