Like Tree1Likes

TLR TEN-SCT replacement engine

Old 10-30-2018, 01:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TLR TEN-SCT replacement engine

Hey guys, I have completely built a TLR TEN-SCT from scratch and have bought a used losi 3.4 motor to use on it for now but I am curious as to what motors would be an ideal drop in kind of deal that wont be too horrible getting to fit and work on this thing. If nobody had any idea then I'm just going to get to work on putting the Dynamite .31 gas motor on it and getting that to work since I already have the gas tank for the 8ight and have the "upgraded" fuel tank installed on the truck also so wouldn't take much to out the gas tank on. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

You already have one of the best performing small blocks, the 3.4. I'd look at mid block engines for more power if you can find them as most are discontinued. I have a new in box JL .28max that would be sweet in that thing
The .31 gasser would be cool as well, assuming SH has figured out their connecting rod problem in the last couple years. Not sure Id risk it. Also, being a big block engine, it will require much more custom fabrication to fit. Especially if you have the .31 with the longer than standard crankshaft.
Im not familiar with your truck in particular, but on 1/10 vehicles which Ive stuffed big blocks into over the years, there is usually a problem with the exhaust manifold interfering with other parts like rear shock towers ect..
anheath2134 likes this.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks! Wish there were parts for this motor to keep it alive so I could keep running it. The issue I'm having right now is the carburetor wont stop locking the slide in place so that's getting replaced. The dynamite motor has 2 different style blocks, one for the monster truck and one for the buggy/truggy. How much bigger are said buggy .21 blocks than that 3.4 anyway? I asked losi about motor replacement and they said any .21 motor will work as long as it's not a buggy motor but that just doesn't make sense since they seem to be small enough?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe a os 18tz
Old 10-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by anheath2134 View Post
Thanks! Wish there were parts for this motor to keep it alive so I could keep running it. The issue I'm having right now is the carburetor wont stop locking the slide in place so that's getting replaced. The dynamite motor has 2 different style blocks, one for the monster truck and one for the buggy/truggy. How much bigger are said buggy .21 blocks than that 3.4 anyway? I asked losi about motor replacement and they said any .21 motor will work as long as it's not a buggy motor but that just doesn't make sense since they seem to be small enough?
I have a 3.4 carb (for my traxxas engine) and my brother has a 3.4 engine. BOTH of our 3.4 carb's slides got stuck. It's like the housing warps. The solution was to stuff some fine scotch brite pieces in the slide bore and twist it around. Just trying to take off a tiny amount of material in there so the slide doesn't stick. Sounds sketchy but it works.
A .21 engine, "buggy" or not, is much larger than the 3.4. The 3.4 is a small block. A .21 buggy engine is a big block. The crankcase itself is longer and wider.
Mid blocks like I mentioned, are displacements usually found as a big block (.21 and up) but the crankcase, crankshaft, exhaust port, ect are standard (or close to standard) small block sizes.

Originally Posted by Soyer View Post
Maybe a os 18tz
Now that would be a great engine if
1)He can find one for sale.
2)Bump start is okay. There's no pullstart for 18tz, right?
Old 11-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Alright, I ordered a replacement carb that's not plastic to take care of that problem. Going to be hard to replace this motor with something equally as powerful or more powerful without doing mods then. Oh well. Will make it more fun when the time comes for that. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Alright, I ordered a replacement carb that's not plastic to take care of that problem. Going to be hard to replace this motor with something equally as powerful or more powerful without doing mods then. Oh well. Will make it more fun when the time comes for that. Thanks for the help!
Which carb?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
Which carb?
I bought the os #11k carb for it. So far seems okay but since we got slammed with very cold weather I haven't had a chance to actually try to tune it. Definitely moves much smoother than the carb for the 3.4 that's for sure and fit right on it with no problems. I read on another post that that's one a lot of people seem to use with ease for these small block motors. Does anyone know the dimensions for the motor mounts on a .21 motor by chance? I really wanna know how much bigger they really are and haven't seen one in person to know exactly.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Also real issues I'm having with finding a different motor is because the clutch bell being so much longer than what any other vehicles are running and it's insane to me. Makes it hard on the bearings for it so the crankshaft needs to be longer than traxxas motors for it to work and I cant find anything to even be able to extend one out a little further either.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

That carb is fantastic. If you can't get the engine running like a Swiss watch, there's something else wrong with your setup.

The big block engines are not only wider but they're also longer front to back as well.

As for the clutch bell size that's actually standard, what you have now. Traxxas uses a non standard crankshaft instead of SG, and they use a smaller clutch bell and clutch assembly.
Are you wanting to put a Traxxas engine in to replace the 3.4? While I think there are better options, you can do it by using 3 mm by 5 mm spacers to extend the crankshaft.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
That carb is fantastic. If you can't get the engine running like a Swiss watch, there's something else wrong with your setup.

The big block engines are not only wider but they're also longer front to back as well.

As for the clutch bell size that's actually standard, what you have now. Traxxas uses a non standard crankshaft instead of SG, and they use a smaller clutch bell and clutch assembly.
Are you wanting to put a Traxxas engine in to replace the 3.4? While I think there are better options, you can do it by using 3 mm by 5 mm spacers to extend the crankshaft.
no I wasnt going to use a traxxas motor, I tried using a dynamite traxxas replacement motor, the .19t to be exact and the crankshaft is too short. I bought a car with the 3.4 on it to take that .19t off because I was tired of replacing bearings. I cant find any motors for the price range I'm willing to spend for this thing. I wanna continue to use the 3.4 but I also don't want to blow it up and be screwed with nothing to put back in as an easy replacement. The only thing that I found that I cant buy for this motor is the piston and sleeve.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

no I wasnt going to use a traxxas motor, I tried using a dynamite traxxas replacement motor, the .19t to be exact and the crankshaft is too short. I bought a car with the 3.4 on it to take that .19t off because I was tired of replacing bearings. I cant find any motors for the price range I'm willing to spend for this thing. I wanna continue to use the 3.4 but I also don't want to blow it up and be screwed with nothing to put back in as an easy replacement. The only thing that I found that I cant buy for this motor is the piston and sleeve.
Just get those 3x5mm spacers, then you can use an engine with a traxxas style shaft (if you need to). Im using a 3.3 in my Hpi Bullet at the moment, and had to do this.
I'll see if I can find those spacers for ya.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Okay so you would want something like these:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/serpent-3x5x3mm-shim-10-ser110436/p233763

Mine are different lengths and made of steel but I can't figure out what brand they are. Also they weren't as much money.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Ah I see. Then I can actually use a motor that's a traxxas replacement like the .19t from dynamite or the os .18. What motor would you actually recommend me trying that isn't overly expensive? I just want to stay around the kind of power this 3.4 makes compared to the recommendation that losi said which was to use a .15 os motor which is definitely not something I want to mess with. Would a piston and sleeve from a different motor work? I want to explore all kinds of options before anything does happen to this motor since i haven't been in the RC world for that long and am trying everything i can to get most power out of it without killing it so I'm keeping it rich for sure.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 AM
Tech Addict

Ah I see. Then I can actually use a motor that's a traxxas replacement like the .19t from dynamite or the os .18. What motor would you actually recommend me trying that isn't overly expensive? I just want to stay around the kind of power this 3.4 makes compared to the recommendation that losi said which was to use a .15 os motor which is definitely not something I want to mess with. Would a piston and sleeve from a different motor work? I want to explore all kinds of options before anything does happen to this motor since i haven't been in the RC world for that long and am trying everything i can to get most power out of it without killing it so I'm keeping it rich for sure.
Well, it's like I said before you already have one of the best small blocks. Just run that 3.4, it's a great engine. If it dies, then so be it that's the hobby.
If it were my truck and the 3.4 died, Id look at a mid block. Most of the other small blocks are going to be Traxxas style replacements and probably less or equal to the 3.4. GO had a .20 replacement also, and there were 2 on ebay a couple weeks ago. Anything out of the GO factory has been great for me. But at some point, you'll probably bump up your budget and just get a more expensive engine such as the .21tm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service