Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
I thought I would know what I知 doing... >

I thought I would know what I知 doing...

I thought I would know what I知 doing...

Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I thought I would know what I知 doing...

Hello, long story short I basically am getting into nitro now and while I致e been reading and watching a lot, I知 confused as heck.

I have an Alpha A852 (silver head) and Mbx7r...

1. which way do the 3 way clutch shoes go? I used my head and put them so that they 都tretch out in the counter clockwise direction when looking at the engine from the carb side. Fanning out like if you were to open your left hand

2. I didn稚 use a single shim while installing the flywheel and clutch assembly, is this normal?

3. The bolt at the end that holds the clutch bell in place, how tight do I put it? I find that the bell won稚 spin if I put it too tight but am scared it will back out if I have it too loose. I have it currently tight enough where I can get about 2-4 rotations if I spin the clutch bell by hand... again no shims.

4. I think I see little bits of stuff above the piston when looking down the cooling head, what now? There痴 no glow plug installed since this thing is new.

5. I installed the 3 shoe clutch but notice the spring pokes out a bit on the bent part out of the shoes themselves, is this normal?

6. On my Revo how tight should my slipper be
Old 10-19-2018, 12:37 AM
Tech Champion

1) can be in bothe ways. tailing (pin is pulling the shoe) makes the clutch smooth. Leading (pin is pushing the shoe) makes the clutch mere agressive.

2) Shims are only needed to reduce play but some play is still needed. The bell should not touch the flywheel.

3) The bolt on top need to be tightened. If that is not possible then there is something wrong. First of all be sure you have pulled out the crankshaft as far as possible and ad the same time pushed the collar tight to the engine front bearing.. If you still can not tighten the screw on top, look at the space between the flywheel and engine. If that is a lot then try another collar or grind a small bit off from the thickest part of the collar. When the flywheel is closer to the engine you will get more space to mount the clutchbell.

4) Remove the head to take a better look. If the engine is new it could be some oxidation spots which you can leave as it is but if they are small metal particles remove them.

5) if it is the windings arround the pin, no problem as long the bell spins free. Be sure that the far spot from the pin is inside the shoe because that will be the part touching the bell.

6) Be sure it does not slip or has no noticeable slip when going full throttle from standing still. Then when jumping and keeping full throttle of full brakes the slip will come in when landing.