Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Flywheel tapered collets question >

Flywheel tapered collets question

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 2 Post By stanleyw808

Flywheel tapered collets question

Old 09-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Default Flywheel tapered collets question

Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone, ANYONE can tell me the standard taper angle used in RC flywheels and their collets.. I have scoured the internet, and only found one other poor soul who asked this question, and he did not get his answer.

As of now, when I machine my own flywheels for various projects, I must also machine a matching collet while the machinery is still set up. This is fine but it is an extra step that I could skip if only I had a reamer of the required angle.
Surely someone here has the knowledge or at the least an industry connection to a manufacturer who could give the info.
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Tech Champion

15 degrees in total, so on a lathe you need to set an angle of 7.5 degrees
timjs likes this.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Tech Regular

Hello timjs,

I try to measure from the original JVD/ Werks Flywheel and it measured at 15.7..

Cheers..

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone, ANYONE can tell me the standard taper angle used in RC flywheels and their collets.. I have scoured the internet, and only found one other poor soul who asked this question, and he did not get his answer.

As of now, when I machine my own flywheels for various projects, I must also machine a matching collet while the machinery is still set up. This is fine but it is an extra step that I could skip if only I had a reamer of the required angle.
Surely someone here has the knowledge or at the least an industry connection to a manufacturer who could give the info.
Thanks in advance guys.
30Tooth and timjs like this.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:24 AM
Tech Addict

Fantastic, guys. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Now if only I could find a taper reamer! (I cant)
Ill just have to setup the compound just right and do a test cut. A fresh flywheel would make a fine go no-go gauge.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

So if I do understand you, you want to drill the taper? I hope you have a lathe because with a drillpress it will not be that secure.
I have thought of the idea to use a drill but saddly I could not find one with that angle although you can go to a better hardware shop who can make you one or provide you one made by a tool manufacturer.
Te only toolbits I have found were engraving bits https://drillbitsunlimited.com/V-Bit...-P4470196.aspx
But they are not large enough, you need something with a 12mm shaft.

You could grind a drill bit under that angle.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
So if I do understand you, you want to drill the taper? I hope you have a lathe because with a drillpress it will not be that secure.
I have thought of the idea to use a drill but saddly I could not find one with that angle although you can go to a better hardware shop who can make you one or provide you one made by a tool manufacturer.
Te only toolbits I have found were engraving bits https://drillbitsunlimited.com/V-Bit...-P4470196.aspx
But they are not large enough, you need something with a 12mm shaft.

You could grind a drill bit under that angle.
Lathe, yes. Grinding a drill bit is actually a pretty neat idea. The clearances and stuff should be built into the drill itself even if its ground down, I think.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

I'm thinking this end mill will do the trick. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller on if that is 15 degree included angle or per-side. The photo is a generic one they use in other listings.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F11 3268381297
Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 AM
Tech Champion

The link does not work....

I have made once a flywheel with that taper, it was drilling a hole of 8mm and then with a small toolbit in the lathe with an angle of 7.5 degrees enlarge the hole.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The link does not work....

I have made once a flywheel with that taper, it was drilling a hole of 8mm and then with a small toolbit in the lathe with an angle of 7.5 degrees enlarge the hole.
I can't seem to get links to work. Well it's ebay number 113268381297 if you're interested.
I used to do it the way you describe with a boring bar but getting my compound to the right angle was trial and error each time and a real pain at that. So I started setting the compound at 7, which was my best guess, and cutting the flywheel and then making a collet without moving the compound. The plus side to this is that my collets fit so perfectly into their mating flywheels that its almost difficult to remove them.