Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timjs

Engine Options...Not Many.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Engine Options...Not Many.

Unfortunately not too thrilled with my HPI Bullet. It does run well and starts up pretty quick, but the engine doesnít have the power for off-road Iím looking for. Itís also a pita to get a decent tune, unlike my Losi 8ight, which was a breeze to get a nice tune on.
Anyway I was looking around for an engine to swap and it doesnít seem there are many options for a .18 engine. Or Iím just not looking in the right places lol
What would you recommend I swap the G3.0 out for?
Is there an engine mount that can mount a .21 engine on a bottom plate drilled for .18?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:53 AM
Tech Addict

There are side exhaust .18s on ebay for very cheap.
A Losi 3.4 is the best engine I have experience with in the Bullet. My current engine is a Traxxas 3.3 which is a fairly easy swap as well even with the different crankshaft length.
The engine or its exhaust will hit the shock tower or shocks if you try to fit a big block in it. I had to make a completely custom chassis to fit a 4 stroke engine in mine. It worked, but I had zero options for a body.
With that said, if you add significant power to the bullet, keep that slipper clutch loose. It will break freaking driveshaft pins, wheel hex pins, differential ring gears, and be an overall unreliable vehicle. I've broken multiples of each of those items.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Iíve been thinking about the Losi 3.4 engine as well. I just canít find anywhere that stocks it or anyone selling.
is the rear exhaust on that engine a problem for the bullet?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JP126 View Post
Iíve been thinking about the Losi 3.4 engine as well. I just canít find anywhere that stocks it or anyone selling.
is the rear exhaust on that engine a problem for the bullet?
Depends on the header. The header that came with the Losi 3.4 had to be bent a little to clear. Not a
deal breaker. The 3.4 is difficult to find nowadays but they pop up on ebay ever so often.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Just to add: When my 3.3 dies I'll be looking for an O.S. Likely a .18 CVRX, but maybe even a .18tm or .18 tz.
if you really want to go wild, spend the money on a .21tm, since theyre still available new.
CBren32 likes this.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
Just to add: When my 3.3 dies I'll be looking for an O.S. Likely a .18 CVRX, but maybe even a .18tm or .18 tz.
if you really want to go wild, spend the money on a .21tm, since theyre still available new.
Can vouch for the .21TM, pretty badass little engine. Have one in my Revo, absolute ripper.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
The only thing about the .21 engine is will it fit in the .18 mounting space. I read up on the 3.3 and itís a .20 engine that fits .18 engine mounts.

Also, why can I only reply to 5 posts in 24 hours? Lol
Old 09-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JP126 View Post

The only thing about the .21 engine is will it fit in the .18 mounting space. I read up on the 3.3 and itís a .20 engine that fits .18 engine mounts.

Also, why can I only reply to 5 posts in 24 hours? Lol
The traxxas 3.3, Hpi g3.0, and all the O.S. engines I mentioned have the standard small block mount screw spacing. The .21tm is a direct bolt in for the traxxas engines. And the 3.3 is in my bullet at the moment. So theyll all fit.
The .21TM is technically a "mid block" which is an engine with standard small block mounting lugs and a short length crankcase but has a .21 or larger displacement. The 21tm is going to be way overkill though when I consider how much my own bullet breaks as-is.