Nitro engine not starting

Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro engine not starting

Hi all

I have a problem with my Hyper .21 8 port engine. It was running ok now wont start. I have checked fuel flow into the carb is ok. Glow plug is ok. I have noticed a crack in the very thin brass head gasket. Would this cause the engine not to start. I use a starter box and for the first second after priming engine sounds like it will fire up but then just wont start after that.

Your help please.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrolizard
Hi all

I have a problem with my Hyper .21 8 port engine. It was running ok now wont start. I have checked fuel flow into the carb is ok. Glow plug is ok. I have noticed a crack in the very thin brass head gasket. Would this cause the engine not to start. I use a starter box and for the first second after priming engine sounds like it will fire up but then just wont start after that.

Your help please.
Every single time I have a non start problem, I found it was either the glow plug was bad or what's more common is my igniter is weak or not working at all.

Just had my LRP powered X1-CRT out a couple days ago and after the 3rd try on the box, it still wouldn't start. I checked the igniter and that was working so I checked the plug to find it was fowled. Must have fowled it last time I was out and didn't know it. That was almost a year ago.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok thank you.

I did replace the glow plug even though it looked like it was working ok. Also cleaned out the hsn. Engine has now started and running ok except for the fuel leak around the engien and cooling head. I have ordered replacement gaskets, hopefully this will fix the leak.

Nitrolizard
Old 12-29-2018, 12:45 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitrolizard
except for the fuel leak around the engien and cooling head. I have ordered replacement gaskets, hopefully this will fix the leak.

Nitrolizard
Head gaskets do not blow. If you replace them be sure the same thickness is putted back. The shims as they are called do a fine tune on the compression which is very important on the self combustion ignition timing.

If there is a lot of dirt on the head, just check if all head screws are tightened, the LSN needle house is tightened and if there is a damage/leak in the fuel line.

If the dirt is on the exhaust side then yes, the exhaust gasket can be worn out.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you Roelof

The shims when i looked at them had a brass 0.1mm which was cracked and an aluminium 0.3mm which had been slightly bent. The instructions for the engine had both on the head. Is this required or only one or the other? So don't know whether this is causing the issue. Have checked fuel lines they look ok and the head screws are tight. Will double check the other areas you mentioned.

Nitrolizard
Old 12-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Tech Lord

Again, the amount of head shims is important, they set the ignition timing so be sure you mount the same total thickness.

One shim bend..... that must be done by you because with a tightened head they are straight flat. But I never had issues with using a bended shim put straight on its place. One cracked is very weird but yes, it could explain the mess but with such a small leak the engine should be able to start. You can try to remove that 0.1mm shim, The engine should work OK without it.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok thank you again Roelof