Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Engine with metalic ringing sound >

Engine with metalic ringing sound

Engine with metalic ringing sound

Old 07-24-2018, 04:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Engine with metalic ringing sound

I have an .21 sh engine that was put aside for a week, that i had droped in some atf, for lack of anything else...
now i installed it back in my buggy, where i was breaking in another engine, and now i have metalic ringing sound that goes away when i hold the cooling head, i hoped it was the clutch bell or sloppy untightened motor mounts or even exhaust too close to manifold, but nope its the engine. Seems like bad rear bearing so i tore it apart but the bearing is smooth as silk and no signs of a bad rusty ball or anything... might have developed some slop that is so minute i cant feel..

is it okay to keep running the engine? Or do i wait for new replacements to arrive?
its running like a champ just ringy, so idk
Old 07-24-2018, 04:25 AM
Tech Champion

Probably a crack in one of the cooling fins of the head
Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Probably a crack in one of the cooling fins of the head
thanks for the suggestion, went right out and switched the head with another same. Im afraid it didnt do much difference..... is there a way to confirm failing rear bearing? Could the atf have any ill effect on the engine internals?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's usually the bearings that is bad when what you describe happens. Just change them.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Try putting on a glove and holding the cooling head with the engine running, if the sound goes away when you do the bearings are probably shot
Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Another motor in another buggy that i had also put in that same atf in it for weekly storage also was giving me similar sound that goes away when i hold the cooling head, either this atf is ruining the rear bearing ball retainer, or im being too sensitive to cooling head resonance or rattles..... ill order replacement bearings and keep an ear out for the engines....
Old 07-26-2018, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Rear bearing 99 times out of 100.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

When a rear bearing is worn out you will get a kind of a white noise, no ringing sound.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
When a rear bearing is worn out you will get a kind of a white noise, no ringing sound.
yes, thanks for the clarification and proper discription, its not clinking not clunking not precisely rattling and not ringing, its a white metallic hiss noise

so if applying the oven heating method how important is it to replace the front bearing since it undergoes the heat, and if there is a O ring inside the carb opening whats the best practice of removing it?

Could this have happened to both engines from using that ATF or could it be just coincidence or because of using same fuel and storing for similar amount of time...
Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by b3master View Post
yes, thanks for the clarification and proper discription, its not clinking not clunking not precisely rattling and not ringing, its a white metallic hiss noise

so if applying the oven heating method how important is it to replace the front bearing since it undergoes the heat, and if there is a O ring inside the carb opening whats the best practice of removing it?

Could this have happened to both engines from using that ATF or could it be just coincidence or because of using same fuel and storing for similar amount of time...
The "white noise" description is spot on.
Replace both bearings, the front isn't immune to wear. But, the heat doesn't hurt it in my experience. I use 300f in the oven for bearings. Sometimes more if they're stubborn.
I use a regular ol' pick for removing the O-ring, but it's probably fine to leave in there.
I don't see how ATF could damage a bearing.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by timjs View Post
The "white noise" description is spot on.
Hopefully no voices are comming through with it :P