Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho KE21R engine issue

Old 07-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Angry Kyosho KE21R engine issue

I have a new Kyosho Inferno MP9 and just breaking in the engine; first 2 tanks were event free, however towards the end of tank 3 the engine started to choke and sputter and died under acceleration. I have not touched any of the 3 screws, as per instructions "factory set". The idle is ok, but it is a bit.. to start,
Not sure what it is... either too rich of starving of fuel.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited by kwhunter; 07-10-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: correcting typo
Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Too rich. If you hold the throttle at about 1/4 while turning it over, it should start. Lean the idle needle a little bit at a time until it will idle on its own and not load up real bad.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
Too rich. If you hold the throttle at about 1/4 while turning it over, it should start. Lean the idle needle a little bit at a time until it will idle on its own and not load up real bad.
Thanks, I will do that and come back.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, done that and it worked.
However, now I have another problem: have gone through 6 tanks, or about 1 qt of fuel; technically speaking the break in is over. Consequently I replace the venturi with the running one that has a larger cross section and I'm back to square one.
With all due honesty, I have no experience tuning those glow engines... Larger venturi means more air, so leaner mixture; so I opened up the high speed needle a bit so I can see smoke at the pipe. However, it dies again under acceleration. Do I have to play with the low speed needle, so to give it more fuel at transition?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 AM
Tech Addict

Open the low speed needle a little bit. 1/16th of a turn at a time.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ke21r issue

Hello.
I have another issue with my ke21r. Didn't know where else to post so here we go...
Bought a used inferno neo 2.0 and i'm having an issue with the engine. It's unstable at high speeds. Shifting between on and off throttle, though i still have full on my radio.
And also, when coming from a revup to idle the engine sounds really bad. A wet high pitched hishing. But only for like 3 seconds, then it sounds normal.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Jacobloom; 07-14-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

welcome to the nitro world.

Definitely look on YouTube for vids on how to tune your nitro engine. It's very important you get a good basic understanding on how to tune them to avoid frustration.

Try these:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+nitro+engine

Jacobloom, check to make sure your throttle servo is operating correctly through the entire range of the throttle curve. It could be possible its twitching/glitching at full throttle causing it to glitch a bit. I had something similar happen to a RTR steering servo, which would do the same thing. Also, make sure there is no leaks. Check the carb fitting, put some silicone sealant around the carb if anything. Check the backplate as well, make sure the head is screwed on tight and the glow plug is in tight as well.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for reply, will try that.
However, what do you think about the noise? Its a bit hard to explain exactly how it sounds but it always make that noise after i give some throttle. The duration varies a little bit depending on the rpm it came from
Old 07-15-2018, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

Take a short video and post it on YouTube, then link to it here. Probably the best way to describe it.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

The mic didn't pick up the noise very well at high rpm. But you can hear it loud and clear when idling. Its a bit random at idle though
The video is only 3 seconds long but it should do...
https://youtu.be/tbBcQXeMhZI

Last edited by Jacobloom; 07-15-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Things I’d check in regard to that noise - take the pipe off and shake it or tap it on your hand. Possibly may have a loose baffle in the pipe. If the pipe checks out, I’d be looking at the clutch/flywheel for play, engine bearings, or possibly a bad conrod. It’s gonna take some detective work to find the culprit I think. I’ve never encountered a noise like that, but perhaps other guys have and may have more input than I do.
Jacobloom likes this.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

OP here:
I have troubles with the engine again; it ran fine last 2 times; today it will shut off after idling a little, or under acceleration, or when running.
I did not change any settings on the carburetor since yesterday; I tried leaning and then riching the LSN and won't make a difference. I have the carburetor and back plate sealed, so no leaks.
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post
OP here:
I have troubles with the engine again; it ran fine last 2 times; today it will shut off after idling a little, or under acceleration, or when running.
I did not change any settings on the carburetor since yesterday; I tried leaning and then riching the LSN and won't make a difference. I have the carburetor and back plate sealed, so no leaks.
Thanks.
You have to tune a nitro engine every time you take it out. Sometimes you will have to tune it a few different times throughout the day as conditions change. Please definitely take a look at the youtube vids that show how to tune an engine. They will give you a basic understanding.

With that said, always adjust the HSN first, lean it out 1-2 hours at a time until acceleration continues to improve. You will probably have to adjust the LSN as well since you were fiddling with it and it might be too rich at the moment. Consider the LSN only really good for immediate acceleration from a stop. This gets tuned second, after the HSN.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
You have to tune a nitro engine every time you take it out. Sometimes you will have to tune it a few different times throughout the day as conditions change. Please definitely take a look at the youtube vids that show how to tune an engine. They will give you a basic understanding.

With that said, always adjust the HSN first, lean it out 1-2 hours at a time until acceleration continues to improve. You will probably have to adjust the LSN as well since you were fiddling with it and it might be too rich at the moment. Consider the LSN only really good for immediate acceleration from a stop. This gets tuned second, after the HSN.
Thank you, learning as I go...
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post
Thank you, learning as I go...
No worries, we were all at where you're at at one point or another.

You have a great advantage in that you can learn a ton from Youtube!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service