Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By THE PHILLY JYNX
  • 1 Post By token
  • 1 Post By RCTecher12

spark plug problem.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default spark plug problem.

Hello, what makes a spark plug burn in less than 15 minutes? I have problems at this level recently. could someone show me some solutions?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blacksoon View Post
Hello, what makes a spark plug burn in less than 15 minutes? I have problems at this level recently. could someone show me some solutions?
Running to hot...or lean...new engine or a old one? What does the plug look like when it dies...if you could take a good picture of it...it could tell us lots to fix your problem.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
Running to hot...or lean...new engine or a old one? What does the plug look like when it dies...if you could take a good picture of it...it could tell us lots to fix your problem.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Rookie

my engine has about 3 months of wear. This is the first time it makes me that.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blacksoon View Post
my engine has about 3 months of wear. This is the first time it makes me that.
Did you ever take that engine apart ? Could be two things wrong. Very lean on top or slop in your rod. That coil wire is busted. That plug should be wet around the outside edge by the coil wire and that wire should be dirty gray in color.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
Did you ever take that engine apart ? Could be two things wrong. Very lean on top or slop in your rod. That coil wire is busted. That plug should be wet around the outside edge by the coil wire and that wire should be dirty gray in color.
this is my motor.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 AM
Tech Rookie

the top of the piston is black.

Last edited by blacksoon; 06-22-2018 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

By the looks of the pictures looks like your top end needle is in pretty far. Not enough fuel and your burning the plug up. What about the low end needle on the other side? How far is that in? Might want to start from the factory settings and start over.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx View Post
By the looks of the pictures looks like your top end needle is in pretty far. Not enough fuel and your burning the plug up. What about the low end needle on the other side? How far is that in? Might want to start from the factory settings and start over.

thank you very much, I will do as you say and go back to zero. for the low end needle I'm not touching it.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Engine needs to be cleaned REAL BAD!! Looks like you have been all over the place with engine tune.. Carbon/dirt is flaking off the top of the piston..That will knock out a plug real quick. There is no zip tie on our carb boot??? Those engine can be had pretty cheap online. You may want to purchase a new one and start over. My guess is the piston and crank pin are in ruff shape. You may be fighting a battle that's to late to win!!! Cut bait and start over. Are you running basher fuel or race fuel ? Also look into proper air filter maintainance this will help extend the life of our engine
kaptain crash likes this.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

LEAN!!!!!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Very lean for a long time. Black is bad!!!!!!!!! Brown is much better.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 AM
Tech Adept

What fuel are you running? What percentage oil does it have?

i cant seem to wrap my head around the idea that its too lean, i mean i was never able to tune too lean! it will immediatly lean bog and warn me and performance decreases and id richen it up after that.... so how can one not realize its too lean and have carbon build up that much before changing somthing??
i say its MORE likely the problem is bad fuel or cheap fuel with NO oil and no additives... or wrong fuel?

Old 07-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by b3master View Post
What fuel are you running? What percentage oil does it have?

i cant seem to wrap my head around the idea that its too lean, i mean i was never able to tune too lean! it will immediatly lean bog and warn me and performance decreases and id richen it up after that.... so how can one not realize its too lean and have carbon build up that much before changing somthing??
i say its MORE likely the problem is bad fuel or cheap fuel with NO oil and no additives... or wrong fuel?
What happens when you run the engine right at peak or slightly lean is it will not be audibly lean - especially when using a lot of Nitro. 20-30% Nitro allows a pretty wide window for a decent tune. You can still go lean! What happens when you’re at peak for a long time (or slightly lean) is the oil starts to burn. The castor polymerizes and turns to varnish, and the synthetic oil unzips and breaks down into other combustible chemicals.

Another problem that I see happen is when people use ultra hot glow plugs. Ultra hot plugs often require a fatter mixture to keep the plug from over-advancing the ignition point, but they run lean to get the most crisp response.

It is fact that if your head button, piston, and glow plug base are a deep golden brown, you’re tuned perfectly. If it’s super clean and shiny, you’re too rich; and if it’s black, it’s too lean. Pure and simple. Reading the glow plug will tell you the story of the engine doesn’t audibly tell you.