Engine for duratrax maximum

Old 06-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Engine for duratrax maximum

My friend and I have been restoring an old duratrax maximum mt and I was wondering if the traxxas .15 would fit in it. We were looking for a cheap and reasonable engine and not some monster that will ruin it. Any help itís great. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by KyleRC View Post
My friend and I have been restoring an old duratrax maximum mt and I was wondering if the traxxas .15 would fit in it. We were looking for a cheap and reasonable engine and not some monster that will ruin it. Any help it’s great. Thanks.
I used to own both the MT & the MT pro many years ago. A couple of things I remember was, that the MT Pro had the exhaust coming out the side & the MT had the exhaust coming out the rear & it was a very weird type of exhaust at that. Pretty sure the engine was a Torq 16. It's an OK engine, for what it does.
If you have the 2 speed on the model you have, I can tell you it's really easy to strip gears no matter where you set the shift point!! Converted it to a single speed & never had a problem.
I do remember at one point running a OS CV15 with a pull start (blue square head) SG shaft (I think) & having to cut (trim) the shaft a bit. Back then, that engine didn't have a screw hole in the shaft or I don't remember it having one.
The Traxxas might just drop in & work. I'm thinking it will have the screw hole in the shaft, so you definitely don't want to cut that!! Might have to shim it up
Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the traxxas trx pro.15 motor should fit just fine. They come in log shaft and short shaft and I think ( could be wrong) you need the short shaft. Good luck with the build, would love to see some pictures
Old 06-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have painted the body it is a ford style body and we liked the way it looked but we didn’t like that it was ford (I don’t want to start anything here I got the original engine to run but it is a little weird because it’d it runs too rich the connecting rod hits the bottom of the block and makes bad noises but if I get it in the right spot it will run good but only when there’s no time left on the fuel the tank is small.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Unpainted Ford body for traxxas stampede used red white and a little silver. I noticed that a nitro might not have been a good beginner for him because he doesn’t really care for adjusting and finicky little things in his endouro cars not to mention a little nitro engine that guzzles fuel that can be $35 a gallon sometimes.