Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Can front bearings be reused on a different motor? >

Can front bearings be reused on a different motor?

Can front bearings be reused on a different motor?

Old 05-21-2018, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Can front bearings be reused on a different motor?

When heating a motor in the oven 300-400°f to remove the bearing are the bearing seals still good enough to be reused?

is there a different way to remove if i intend to reuse?
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b3master View Post
When heating a motor in the oven 300-400°f to remove the bearing are the bearing seals still good enough to be reused?

is there a different way to remove if i intend to reuse?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-ul...107051/p179865
Something like that can pull out and reinstall bearings without healing the snot out of them, in which case you could reuse.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-ul...107051/p179865
Something like that can pull out and reinstall bearings without healing the snot out of them, in which case you could reuse.
Still you do need to add some heat so the hole size in the crank case will not get damaged

But with a lot of heat the only part in a bearing that can get damaged is the plastic ring holding the balls. If that one is still in shape holding the balls on the place then yes, you can re-use the bearing.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

As long as the bearing makes zero noise when spinning it dry. If it makes even the slightest bit of noise, replace it. Really though, if you’re removing a bearing from the crankcase - for any reason - why not just replace it? Peace of mind that you don’t need to tear the engine apart again in a gallon is worthwhile to me.

Edit: to add; heat is best. However you shouldn’t need to get any hotter than 350F to get the bearings out, and it is best to heat he case evenly - in an oven or something of the like. This ensures the bearing seats completely.

Last edited by RCTecher12; 05-21-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

If it is about a standard 7x19x6 bearing, you can get them for a few bucks from a bearing shop.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
As long as the bearing makes zero noise when spinning it dry. If it makes even the slightest bit of noise, replace it. Really though, if you’re removing a bearing from the crankcase - for any reason - why not just replace it? Peace of mind that you don’t need to tear the engine apart again in a gallon is worthwhile to me.

Edit: to add; heat is best. However you shouldn’t need to get any hotter than 350F to get the bearings out, and it is best to heat he case evenly - in an oven or something of the like. This ensures the bearing seats completely.
just checking out my options, couldnt find any bearings in my country and seeing what options i had if i dont want to wait 6 or so weeks for replacement to arrive.... just curious

the straight forward answer is no, since there is a plastic part holding the balls apart that shouldnt deform in any way shape or form its better to say no i cant heat the engine without risking warping the plastic, i didnt know that was plastic i thought they are held with metal i was worried about the rubber seals since thats the reason im replacing it in the first place! The original one was leaking since i bought it... didnt want to risk buying a second motor only to discover it also leaks air...

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
If it is about a standard 7x19x6 bearing, you can get them for a few bucks from a bearing shop.
you mean an online bearing shop? Or a local bearing shop? Is there such a thing as a purely local bearing shop?
ill try to find an online bearing shop that ships internationally...

Are the rear/inside bearing balls also held by plastic?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Avid Bearings in the US. Quality bearings for RC engines and cars. Cheap and fast shipping. Google them up.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

As mentioned, it is a standard size and because of that cheap to get:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-7x19x...kAAMXQMTlRbAmr