Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Scratched piston and sleeve; destroyed connection pin >

Scratched piston and sleeve; destroyed connection pin

Scratched piston and sleeve; destroyed connection pin

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Scratched piston and sleeve; destroyed connection pin

What's going on everyone,
I'm new to RC and had a question regarding my HPI Savage X with the F4.6 engine. It's got about 2 gallon of 20%. I first had an issue when I would start the car but wouldn't move when I applied full throttle. The engine wouldn't even rev at high rpms. I thought it had to do something with the clutch shoes so I took the engine out and inspecte
d the shoes which were worn out. It still didn't make sense that engine wasn't revving at high rpms despite giving it full throttle.
I decided to take the entire engine apart since I had the engine off the vehicle already. When i removed the piston and sleeve i noticed that a few pieces of metal came out. I then realized that it was the pin that held the piston head to the con rod. I removed the pin and inspected the head and noticed that there was a very deep scratch and also noticed the sleeve was scratched as well. What can cause just the pin to shatter? A shattered con rod seems to be more common. Will I be able to reuse the piston and sleeve or do i need to buy a new set. They're pretty pricey. Will I need a whole new engine?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi there you probably ran your engine to lean in this truck. So what you have to do is replace the piston,sleeve conrod and pin and probably the head. Or it might be cheaper just to buy a new engine while your at it. Also get a new clutch shoes and springs for this engine. So go on line and look for HPI which is the mfg of this vehicle and see if they have these parts available and find someone locally who could help you replace all these componets
good day
Michael
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by stoney452 View Post
Hi there you probably ran your engine to lean in this truck. So what you have to do is replace the piston,sleeve conrod and pin and probably the head. Or it might be cheaper just to buy a new engine while your at it. Also get a new clutch shoes and springs for this engine. So go on line and look for HPI which is the mfg of this vehicle and see if they have these parts available and find someone locally who could help you replace all these componets
good day
Michael
Thank you for the response! What engines do you recommend for the Savage? I want something more for bashing so durability is a priority.
and when you say to replace the head, did u mean the entire cooling head? Or did u mean that piece that the glow plug is attached to? Thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dude I would check with the hobby shop and company you spent money to, your sitiation sounds like a product failure even tho I rarely tell newbs this. It sounds like u ran it rich after issues and stuff fell apart which is a product issue. The worst that could have happened was a plug failure. So u may be in luck. But u need a new engine and that's probably not a bad thing if u wanna continue upgrading your rig but I wouldn't let the product failure determine that. Your engine fell apart from a pin not being there or failing if it happened after a couple gallons running then just failing. If u do replace the engine get a good one but still get your engine sent in and inspected for the companies failure. For the mean time your best bet is an os of some sort, even the low end engines won't have connecting pins fall apart, even a Orion or def the werks engines will stay together. But u need to send in the engine so you can get a replacement. In no world should a retaining pin come out.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
Dude I would check with the hobby shop and company you spent money to, your sitiation sounds like a product failure even tho I rarely tell newbs this. It sounds like u ran it rich after issues and stuff fell apart which is a product issue. The worst that could have happened was a plug failure. So u may be in luck. But u need a new engine and that's probably not a bad thing if u wanna continue upgrading your rig but I wouldn't let the product failure determine that. Your engine fell apart from a pin not being there or failing if it happened after a couple gallons running then just failing. If u do replace the engine get a good one but still get your engine sent in and inspected for the companies failure. For the mean time your best bet is an os of some sort, even the low end engines won't have connecting pins fall apart, even a Orion or def the werks engines will stay together. But u need to send in the engine so you can get a replacement. In no world should a retaining pin come out.
Thank you for the tip! I contacted the vendor and sent them pictures of the damages. They are looking into it now. All i can do is just wait and hope for the best. I will definitely let you all know what happens when i get a response.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaximusAcordius View Post
Thank you for the tip! I contacted the vendor and sent them pictures of the damages. They are looking into it now. All i can do is just wait and hope for the best. I will definitely let you all know what happens when i get a response.
that is great to hear. Hope u get anew engine so u can get that running again on track. Like I said, it shouldn’t have failed the way you described, that was product failure.