• 3 Post By Gavel
  • 1 Post By RCTecher12

Loosen up nitro engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Loosen up nitro engine

I have a losi 3.4 nitro engine that is locked up I have been told that marvel mystery oil put in glow plug hole and where air filter goes will bring engine back to where it needs to be is that true what I have been told?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heat and a little acetone will work faster and more effectively.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

I guess if it was my motor I would put it in a bucket of oil after taking the back plate off and let it soak, not really liking the idea of acetone and heat, as that could be a good fire as people really don't think much about what the outcome really could be, so caution is needed if taking that approach
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 AM
Tech Lord

If it is just stuck in its pinch then indeed heating up will make it turn a gain with a start and a lot of people stick a screwdriver under in the chassis at the flywheel as a lever to turn the flywheel over.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad
I guess if it was my motor I would put it in a bucket of oil after taking the back plate off and let it soak, not really liking the idea of acetone and heat, as that could be a good fire as people really don't think much about what the outcome really could be, so caution is needed if taking that approach
It takes some common sense. If someone literally uses solvent and an open heat source at the same time despite the warnings all over the acetone can, they probably deserve to learn a lesson. However, both often aren’t needed. Use some solvent and work it loose or heat it up to 200-250F.

COMMON SENSE WARNING: ACETONE IS FLAMMABLE.

Last edited by RCTecher12; 05-22-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
Heat and a little acetone will work faster and more effectively.

and with this statement it sounded like they are used together, yes common sense would be best but how many people actually lack that, and take it for TRUTH being they read it on the internet, so it's quite simple as use caution when using these items
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Just heat it up with a heat gun
Old 05-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad

and with this statement it sounded like they are used together, yes common sense would be best but how many people actually lack that, and take it for TRUTH being they read it on the internet, so it's quite simple as use caution when using these items
Really though, it’s not my responsibility to police what other people do with my OR anyone else’s advice. If someone is dumb enough to douse an engine with acetone and heat it with a heat gun or torch or oven and it catches fire.... they deserve to learn a lesson AND they should not operate model engines. Not any different than the dufus that burns his house or garage down from charging a LiPo unattended.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
Really though, it’s not my responsibility to police what other people do with my OR anyone else’s advice. If someone is dumb enough to douse an engine with acetone and heat it with a heat gun or torch or oven and it catches fire.... they deserve to learn a lesson AND they should not operate model engines. Not any different than the dufus that burns his house or garage down from charging a LiPo unattended.
You sound like a dick.

Btw, this is international, people who dont speak english as their primary language use it, so you should be clear for them at the very least.

Although with your head as far up as your own ass as it seems to be, i doubt youve ever thought about something so abstract as other countries.
grizz1, Troubles Dad and ASA like this.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gavel
You sound like a dick.

Btw, this is international, people who dont speak english as their primary language use it, so you should be clear for them at the very least.

Although with your head as far up as your own ass as it seems to be, i doubt youve ever thought about something so abstract as other countries.
LoL!! Hardly! I’m practical and realistic. If you don’t know how to handle something - say a solvent or chemical you’re not familiar with - you should probably at the very least read the damn can to know at least a little bit of what you’re about to do. Should I go back and put a snippet in there to wear gloves, a leather apron, and steel toed safety shoes if you handle a model engine that just came from the oven? Maybe advise that the fuel these engines burn is quite flammable with a near invisible flame in daylight? Where does the stupidity end and common sense start?

Good grief.
Micah78 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

To answer this dude’s question.

Yes marvel mystery will help loosen the engine up by breaking down the gummed up fuel.

Using a heat gun or hair dryer will also help loosen the engine.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Soak it in nitro fuel, I keep old fuel around for this purpose. I have also found that LA's awesome degreaser/cleaner(I buy it at dollar tree) does a great job of dissolving old oil, just make sure to not soak for more than ~3hrs. And clean and dry all parts once removed from bath.