Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 PM
kek
Tech Adept

Default Engine Tuning question

No sure, where I should ask this question.
The engine tuning thread, Samurai thread, or just make a new one as i have. Sorry in advance if I should have put it in a thread.

I have a Protek Samurai V1, that I'm having a strange tuning issue. The engine was rebuilt with new piston, sleeve rod, and bearings, that was ran in with an EBIS. I've done around a gallon since.
On the box, it sounds like it's tuned perfectly, but when I put it on the ground, give it throttle and then brake, it stalls.
When I turn the idle up higher and repeat, you can hear the idle drop low, which is causing the flameout when idle is set correctly, but as I have the idle turned up, it's staying on...
Also, it doesn't sound like it's revving out as much as it should, but it's appears to be making power as it should be.. I've love these engines, and have a couple of them, and have used them for the past 3 years so I know how they should work.
I don't understand what's happening and what I could have done wrong.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

May be a broken clutch spring or similar clutch issue causing early engagement and stalling the engine (once off the box with some load) - not an engine tune issue at all......
Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I would look at the linkage from the throttle servo to ya carb. U did pull the motor out and put it back in so maybe ya brake could be a little off. And like Grizz1 said check ya clutch make you had the spur gear and clutchbell setup to lose tight idk.. linkage and clutch would be my starting point right now to check. good luck
Old 04-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Always take your time setting the linkage correctly and setting the end point adjustments travel on radio. With your air filter off. Make sure your carb idle gap is set correctly. Set your linkage up so when you open the throttle and close it or when you hit the brake your carb sleeve is always closing to the same idle gap. Sometimes if linkage is not set correctly what may happen is you may pull the throttle and engine will run but then it will not return back to the same idle gap causing maybe a higher idle speed cause carb isn't closing all the way. Or maybe when you hit the brake the idle gap eill get even smaller then it should be and the engine may stall. I had this happen st the track the other day cause my linkage became loose I thought it was my tune for a bit and then realized it was the linkage.
Anytime you take a end out and put it back in always check the linkage and travel of the servo for throttle and brake because if you don't you'll end up with a headache trying to tune a improper set carb linkage idle gap.

other things to check for are air leaks
fuel tunbing
engine gaskets
pipe gaskets
head screws
carb nipple
carb seal
back plate seal
Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

good engine tuning video