Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
How far up should the sleeve stick out above engine case? >

How far up should the sleeve stick out above engine case?

How far up should the sleeve stick out above engine case?

Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How far up should the sleeve stick out above engine case?

How far up should the sleeve stick out above engine case? Iv got a 1/8 nitro buggy with an SH.21 (it actualy is engraved EX one side and 21 the other side) and dont remember how it was the first time i removed the cooling head to inspect cylinder...

Reason for removing and inspecting now is because i can hardly feel a pinch.

After removing and cleaning under and around the lip of the sleeve i now have a slight pinch and its still sticking up about .5mm or so, not quite a mm

I cleaned it without removing the motor from the car. Just raised and cleaned the sleeve. If it should be flush lemme know so ill completly disassemble the motor...
Old 04-13-2018, 07:17 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by b3master View Post
How far up should the sleeve stick out above engine case? Iv got a 1/8 nitro buggy with an SH.21 (it actualy is engraved EX one side and 21 the other side) and dont remember how it was the first time i removed the cooling head to inspect cylinder...

Reason for removing and inspecting now is because i can hardly feel a pinch.

After removing and cleaning under and around the lip of the sleeve i now have a slight pinch and its still sticking up about .5mm or so, not quite a mm

I cleaned it without removing the motor from the car. Just raised and cleaned the sleeve. If it should be flush lemme know so ill completly disassemble the motor...
It should be flush. You shouldn't have to disassemble the motor, just make sure that the notch in the liner is lining up with the tab on the cylinder. Also, make sure that the crank is at BDC and the backing plate is installed in it's correct orientation.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the reply, i did notice after clearing some gunk from below the upper lip of the sleeve it did sit ever so slightly lower (since there was debris and what not stuck there) and i did get some pinch vs no pinch, i forgot to check and clean the bottom edge that it possiblly also sits on... if there is an edge.
now that i think about it the piston is there i have no reach or any way to know if there is a bottom edge the sleeve sits on...
Old 04-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

In the upper lip there is a slot and there must be a pin in the crankcase that has to drop in the slot. maybe the lip is leaning on the pin?
Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

the pin and slot are aligned but there was some gunk under the lip, after cleaning it sits slightly lower and i now have slight pinch, which is better than no pinch... i have fired her up but didnt run it yet, but i did notice i didnt have to give much throttle to keep it running to warm up, it was idling by itself better...

maybe not all sleeves sit flush??
Old 04-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Well i took her apart today, was very curious how far the piston will go up the sleeve, im glad to say about 1/4 in from top, so thats plenty of life left, i cleaned the sleeve lip seat much more thorough, there seems to have been some crud left around the pin where the sleeve slot goes. Now i got decent pinch! And before installing the button and heat sink i turned over the pull start and fair enough the piston raises the sleeve well.
After i put her all back together she fired up without the need for throttle!