nitro engine wont start

Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro engine wont start

Im not very good with nitro engines or engines in general so forgive me

I got like 3-4 nitro rc cars from my grandfather and started working on one. I took the engine apart and cleaned everything and put it back together because it wouldnt start.

After putting it back together we get it to start once with the glow starter in as soon as I pulled it off it turned off. Now what its doing is we turned on the remote and stuff and we use this black thing that spins the motor in the back if we give it throttle with the remote while spinning the motor it sometimes fires up and the wheels move and it goes like its started (obviously we hold it) as soon as i stop spinning the engine it wont stay on. and goes back to not wanting to start up it sometimes sounds like its going to fire up and sometimes sounds like it doesnt want to at all. I dont know what to do anymore
Old 04-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Tech Initiate

First what rc are u trying to start? And what motor does it have you can find some kind of markings on the motor to tell me an everyone what it is. You need to look at the high speed needle/low speed needle and idle needle. For starting a nitro you need your glow starter to be charged. You need to take out the glow plug thats what the glow starter connects to. You need to see if its glowing nice and bright. You should be using fresh fuel car fuel if u do not know

I would use 20 percent that is me not knowing what motor etc u have .. With that being said look up the motors specs an set the needles back to factory specs . You need to look down the carb take off the air filter have the remote on and the car on an see how big the opening is. You want .5 to 1mm i think i would want u to be 1mm right now. So go find out ya motor set it back to factory specs u need a flat head screw driver, charged up glow starter. You need to pull out the glow plug u need a cross wrench to do that.. make sure any and all batteries are fresh so check that out.. You wanna start the rc with the remote on and car.. Just do the few things i asked you to do. DO NOT GIVE UP PLEASE.... I got ya back do not worry bro
Old 04-13-2018, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

the glow plug is nice and bright and the motor i dont know what it is exactly but its something 18 and ive been trying to fiddle with the settings as the cars are old and I dont have like a manual or anything.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok the glow plug sounds fine, for a .18 motor u wanna use 20% car fuel . Look for any type of words or numbers on the motor it could be on the case might be under the low speed needle or on top of the cooling head where the glow plug sits down in. U really need that so u can set the needles back to factory. You can try like two and a half to 3 turns out from closed on the high end. For starting you need the carb gap to b .5-1mm i think closer to 1mm at this point will be fine. The low end you can set it flush with carb housing there is pics to show you how that looks. Right now u need to look up the motor or tell me what you see .

Can you take a few pics of the motor and the linkage that goes from the servo to the motor? At this point u want the motor back to factory which in most cases is fairly rich. You want the carb gab to be pretty open this way u can start ya motor an it will stay running . Then you move to the high end needle dial in ya top end speed, move to the low end needle . You lean these to screws with small clock wise turns. U said u are messing with the needles well less turns is the way to go. Idle screws is last at this point for you you slow down the idle when you lean the high/low speed needls. Im just looking for what motor an if you have fresh fuel at this point ? And i wanna make sure you are not just turning the needle screws one way then another . This will foul you up big time bro,,, So just follow the few things i said here..