Like Tree11Likes

High vs low price nitro motors

Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What’s a good pipe and about how much are the engines?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

I have very good luck with the Taiwanese engines. The alpha/Go/Argus engines are excellent for the price. I started out with the nova standard motors but felt no difference in performance I'm getting 7-8 gallons out of the alphas & they are very cheap to rebuild
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would agree with the comments on the Alpha Dragon 3 and the new Dragon 4. Their pre-broke in feature is very nice. Works really well. They are solid performers in both Truggy and Buggy. Good bang for your buck. The not having to break them in part is a big positive for sure!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Yes that is a great feature... While I got a good thread going here what’s the life of rebuilding them? Is it worth buying a sleeve and piston? I was always told it never worked as well... Another is fuel what % is most fast guys running?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattythegreat View Post
What’s a good pipe and about how much are the engines?
If you are looking for the latest one, get the Dragon IV. The price depends on where you are located. The biggest reported difference is runtime.

If you are looking for a bargain, you can check for older models. A lot of shops are clearing older models, I know the Lutz was about 150$ at Amain.

Pipe wise, it depends on what you want. I've driven all of them since the A852 and found the 2090 and 2107 to be very good all round pipes. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you do get an Alpha, we can sort out what's best for your needs and local condition.
mattythegreat likes this.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis View Post
If you are looking for the latest one, get the Dragon IV. The price depends on where you are located. The biggest reported difference is runtime.

If you are looking for a bargain, you can check for older models. A lot of shops are clearing older models, I know the Lutz was about 150$ at Amain.

Pipe wise, it depends on what you want. I've driven all of them since the A852 and found the 2090 and 2107 to be very good all round pipes. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you do get an Alpha, we can sort out what's best for your needs and local condition.
Very cool thank you...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes that is a great feature... While I got a good thread going here what’s the life of rebuilding them? Is it worth buying a sleeve and piston? I was always told it never worked as well... Another is fuel what % is most fast guys running?
A new P/S/R with new bearings is practically a new engine, however for the price it better to get a new engine and use that one as a spare. I think only the bearings and rod are worth replacing. Again, opinions differ here, I've heard people saying they never change the rod. I used to always change mine after 2-3 gallons, and stay with that one till the end. With these new pre-broken in engines I don't change it unless I feel a lot of play or my local guru says he does Now I have a big amount of rods so I change them just because I can

Regarding the lifetime, I have one more than 8 gallons old and still running. It's on its second rod and second set of bearings. This depends a lot on the user and the conditions, also people tend to exaggerate numbers, so a forum is not a good place for this debate, your local club or track is a better place. I'd say it's no more or less than any other top brand. Throw in a bearing when you feel they need replacing, the Alpha ones are cheap and very good. From my experience, the crankshaft outlasts the engine.

Fuel wise, the most popular blend is 25%. People use 20-30%, I've also seen 16% used to very good use. I think there is no or a very very small difference when it's adjusted properly (headshims) and tuned for the oil/nitro it has, so pick anything locally available and run it. Yes, some fuels are better than others. I don't like to bash on brands, if you wish send me a PM with what is locally available and I'll help you if I can.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Will do thanks. I am diving back into it ever so slowly. Have two boys 9 and 4 that are ready to start racing as well...
Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Alphas are good and reliable , son was a factory driver for them, however I wouldn’t classify them as cheap. For a Taiwanese manufacturer, they could be cheaper. They are still in the $300 range. They use to be in the low 200’s. The old green head was my favorite. Look at sh engines, only down fall is the tight pinch during break in which can effect the life of the rod, parts are dirt cheap though.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Explain SH engines?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Alphas are good and reliable , son was a factory driver for them, however I wouldn’t classify them as cheap. For a Taiwanese manufacturer, they could be cheaper. They are still in the $300 range. They use to be in the low 200’s. The old green head was my favorite. Look at sh engines, only down fall is the tight pinch during break in which can effect the life of the rod, parts are dirt cheap though.
Yeah...that old green head "Z852" rocked in truggy" great power and 10 min. run times easy. $167 at ebay. And with Alpha's the parts are interchangeable.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

That’s awesome... sounds like alpha is something to look into
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I cannot completely agree on some of the views here. I have had good results with both high end and budget motors. I find I can get 9-10 gallons of reliable running out of both. I do like what you get from the high end engines, usually a bit faster and a little more mileage. But some if the low end engines cannot be overlooked. The Top elite 5 is an outstanding value for what they cost . 119.00 before shipping if memory serves me correctly. I am currently running a samurai and love it,but thinking of trying a Nova for my next one . Had good luck in the past and still see plenty of folks running them with good results.
token and Pedro Jesus like this.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
I cannot completely agree on some of the views here. I have had good results with both high end and budget motors. I find I can get 9-10 gallons of reliable running out of both. I do like what you get from the high end engines, usually a bit faster and a little more mileage. But some if the low end engines cannot be overlooked. The Top elite 5 is an outstanding value for what they cost . 119.00 before shipping if memory serves me correctly. I am currently running a samurai and love it,but thinking of trying a Nova for my next one . Had good luck in the past and still see plenty of folks running them with good results.
If you have time run through the top elite 5 for me
Old 03-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Explain SH engines?
Can’t tell you too much about sh engines as far as what makes them good. I do know guys that run them locally. They are not new to the rc industry. From what I see, they are impressive for the price. A new rod only cost $15 at Amain. My sons runs blok, but I wouldn’t suggest anything os based for anyone new or anyone on a budget. Unless you were going to get one of the low budget os engines for around $250... really can’t beat the bang for your buck of the sh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.