Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mlax
  • 2 Post By Evoking1230

Nova P5 XLT

Old 02-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Nova P5 XLT

Anyone know any peformance mods for this engine. Im happy with it so far and its funny how it can run with the more expensive engines. Right now im just looking at the potential for later down before I upgrade to something like an O.S.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Do you seriously think a $300 engine is 'slower' than a $600 engine? There's literally no proof on OS lasting longer or being faster than any other engine. I own OS by the way and I've owned REDS etc., not bashing, just saying. You pay for the brand name, you pay for the guaranteed quality of the parts - but you aint gonna go faster with a OS2102 vs. your P5 XLT just because it says OS on it. They all produce roughly the same power.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I see what your saying. was just told my engine isnt very competitive.
but im doing fine w it so far
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Plenty of people are competitive with Novarossi, with Picco, plenty of people love houstons FusionX engines, lots of people go really fast with Werks.

99.9% of people will never drive like Maifield, Ronnefalk, Tebo or Tessmann. If you have the money, by all means, buy the $700 engine - coz hell, I'm doing that and its fun to have shiny things that look good and make you feel good - you just aint gonna go faster.
WillS likes this.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I am currently rethinking my program. I am an os guy,love them. I currently have a protek samurai in my buggy,runs flawless. As of lately I have seen guys running the less expensive Nova's ie elite 5, P5, mantra, etc. They are not lacking any speed and can still pull great runtime. It is making me think a novarossi will be my next motor.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Take it from someone with an ls5 (protek p5), a reds R 7, novarossi keep off 4, and a b2102, they’re all very close to the same. Pipe combo will play a bigger role in getting it to deliver power the way you want it to more than spending more money on modding the motor.

The only thing I will give OS is I get longer run time, that said, if you’re not putting over 19 minutes, it won’t make a different in a club race main because 8 minutes to 930 you’re still stopping 3 times for a 30 minute main. 10 minutes is doable with most of them with the right tune and pipe but they also require the driver to have good trigger control to not waste fuel. I don’t stretch my b2102 past 10 because I’m hammer fisted, still takes me 3 pit stops for a 30 minute main as opposed to 3 slightly earlier pitstooanwith ny nova motors.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

they're all pretty even in the hp department. Like mentioned previously, pipe/manifold combo's will give you the biggest difference.

It all comes down to driving. I guarantee you someone who can drive and who is consistent lap after lap and has a budget priced engine will place higher than someone with a $700 engine that doesn't know how to drive.

If you say you're doing fine with the P5, stick with it. Experiment with pipe/mani combos if anything if you're looking for more or less torque or more or less top end. You are used to your motor now focus on those driving skills and motor tuning skills. A good race tune is key.

I have converted a Losi 8IGHT RTR to a 3.0, but still using the Dynamite motor that came with it (did away with the pull-start and swapped out the back plate) and at my last track outing, I was at pace with the REDS and OS motors. I was out front for a few until I messed up but they never did get a chance to pass me on the straight or in the corners because my setup was on point (well just about) and up until my mistake I had put together close to 20 minutes of error free driving. They still couldn't believe it used to be a RTR and still had the rtr motor in it lol.
petersen114 and Skinny_j like this.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Heard stories like this dozens of times - because it is true! A nova P5XLT in the hands of a good driver with a dialed setup is fine for 90% of racing applications. An OS in the hands of a fumbling tumbling Joe is useless...
Old 03-01-2018, 02:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by turndownwhip View Post
Heard stories like this dozens of times - because it is true! A nova P5XLT in the hands of a good driver with a dialed setup is fine for 90% of racing applications. An OS in the hands of a fumbling tumbling Joe is useless...
that would be me lol
Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

this thread is good stuff ....lol