Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
New/Never ran 2004 Mugen MBX-5 & Rex P5 : Help refresh my memory! >

New/Never ran 2004 Mugen MBX-5 & Rex P5 : Help refresh my memory!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New/Never ran 2004 Mugen MBX-5 & Rex P5 : Help refresh my memory!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New/Never ran 2004 Mugen MBX-5 & Rex P5 : Help refresh my memory!

Hi all..

Here's an interesting story and a couple of questions maybe some of you are willing to help me answer as it's been a while and i've forgotten some details.

Well, lets go back, 14yrs ago to Spring 2004. A long time R/C fan (tamiya mostly as a kid)... with plans to find some local races in NY, I purchased new a Mugen MBX-5 (not R) and a Rex P5 (production coded 10/2003). I got 90% through the build and stopped.

I had just gotten married (no kids yet) and had to box it all up for a later completion date cuz that's when we bought our first house and in the subsequent years had a couple kids.

Fast foward to this week, and now with my 12yo son who just bashes his traxxas stuff around, it was time to break her out 14yrs later and finish her. Still shiny brand new, greased diff's still lubey, motor internals look smooth like butter (I had used a healthy amount of after-run when boxing). The only steps left are shocks, tires, and body then I can fire her up and tune. It was fun reading through the old newspaper used to wrap her up.

I will post some pics if anyone's interested.

Couple of questions to help me get back in the swing:
1) What fuel should I use? I still have the Rex manuals but can someone point me to an all in one race fuel I should use w/ the appropriate castor. I'm not interested in mixing myself.

2) I plan on doing some racing this spring, probably in chester NY would be the closest. What are the basic parts I should have on hand that would break? I know the mbx-5 had a great reputation and is a tough buggy, but what would go on it on a typical race day? From any guys that have owned/raced one?

Thanks in advance!
AC
__________________________________________________ _________

MOVED THIS TO Nitro Off-Road THREAD

Last edited by MX313; 01-25-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: WRONG THREAD