R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Bullitt 221 or fx k501-R engine

Hi guys I have just brought a bullitt 221 and me mate is going to be buying a fx k501-R engine. We race for fun on a astroturf track .is the fx engine better than the bullitt engine interms of power and speed or is it the other way round.

Thanks
TIM.L.BARNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:58 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM.L.BARNETT View Post
Hi guys I have just brought a bullitt 221 and me mate is going to be buying a fx k501-R engine. We race for fun on a astroturf track .is the fx engine better than the bullitt engine interms of power and speed or is it the other way round.

Thanks
Hi Tim,

I have a limited in hand experience of FX motors, but as usual hear many things about other manufacturers motors. However with the BULLITT being manufactured in Japan by OS and with proven material choice and manufacturing quality, as well as the performance and reliability shown by OS engines and their many OEM's.

The B-221 is not the most powerful engine produced by OS, however the drivability and milage that you will experience over a Spec 2/3 will be quite pronounced.

Mark,

*EDIT*

Just gone and seen the K501-R is a club engine and retails for +/- 220 GBP, the B-221 is in a complete different price point than the 501-R and will then also be in a different league of performance and longevity, a fairer comparison would be the new B-222 and the K501-R, however still possibly in another league

[email protected]

AGAMA BULLITT BETA PIRANHA

Last edited by Mark Rumble; 11-22-2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Research.
Mark Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rumble View Post
Hi Tim,

I have a limited in hand experience of FX motors, but as usual hear many things about other manufacturers motors. However with the BULLITT being manufactured in Japan by OS and with proven material choice and manufacturing quality, as well as the performance and reliability shown by OS engines and their many OEM's.

The B-221 is not the most powerful engine produced by OS, however the drivability and milage that you will experience over a Spec 2/3 will be quite pronounced.

Mark,

*EDIT*

Just gone and seen the K501-R is a club engine and retails for +/- 220 GBP, the B-221 is in a complete different price point than the 501-R and will then also be in a different league of performance and longevity, a fairer comparison would be the new B-222 and the K501-R, however still possibly in another league
Hi mark I meant are these two engines similar in acceleration, topspeed and fuel usage. Thanks for the info anyway. Also would you say that my bullitt 221 is the better engine of the two.
TIM.L.BARNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi mark I meant are these two engines similar in acceleration, topspeed and fuel usage. Thanks for the info anyway. Also would you say that my bullitt 221 is the better engine of the two.
He would probably say anything as he is already comparing engines based on price!
I can't help you much regarding your question, just trying to point out that any information given before me is of No help either.

Should be some here that has ran the FX, that can give you more help.
NitroVein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

The quality of the Fx engines is as good or better than Os. The K501R is a budget engine with a non coated crank though. I expect a good quality crank in the K501R, on par with Nova etc. The non coated Os cranks are fairly soft in my opinion though.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail [email protected] Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:34 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I have a limited experience as said before with FX engines, however seeing them run around in the UK Nationals, I would say the acceleration is similar, the top speed is on par and the fuel milage less,

and regarding a direct comparison, or being "better", one would assume that based near double the price, that yes the B-221 is the better engine of the two, pricing structure completely aside, yes the performance overall should be better (assuming that also includes longevity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroVein View Post
He would probably say anything as he is already comparing engines based on price!
I can't help you much regarding your question, just trying to point out that any information given before me is of No help either.

Should be some here that has ran the FX, that can give you more help.
Its always tough to make a fair comparison between two engines that are in very different positions in the market, but one can only try .....

[email protected]

Old 11-23-2017, 03:03 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
The quality of the Fx engines is as good or better than Os. The K501R is a budget engine with a non coated crank though. I expect a good quality crank in the K501R, on par with Nova etc. The non coated Os cranks are fairly soft in my opinion though.

Rex
Do you know if the FX last good when it comes to piston/sleeve? Or is it more of a OS deal where they need a pinch every couple of gallons.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Its always tough to make a fair comparison between two engines that are in very different positions in the market, but one can only try .....
I agree, maybe OS will move the manufacturing of the car engines to China as well, so the price will get more in line with what you get.
They could still make the carb in Japan to keep the tuning good.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I agree, maybe OS will move the manufacturing of the car engines to China as well, so the price will get more in line with what you get.
They could still make the carb in Japan to keep the tuning good.
Not sure if you have tried the XRB Spec II, all Japan made and similar price point. (Around 250$) may be able to re-evaluate your opinion of OS

For sure though the performance of the lower price engines has taken a step forward from a few years back.....

[email protected]

Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Not sure if you have tried the XRB Spec II, all Japan made and similar price point. (Around 250$) may be able to re-evaluate your opinion of OS

For sure though the performance of the lower price engines has taken a step forward from a few years back.....
I haven't tried that OS, but if it's the same quality as a Speed then I don't know why I would want to either. An Italian mill will cost less and last a lot longer.
From what I've seen most engines have been reduced in performance, lighter chassis, better clutch system etc has made a difference so engines can be tuned for a smooth power band.
Just compare the parts in engines made today to the ones made 10-15 years ago and you'll see a lot of the same part numbers is the same (for some brands at least).
It's way to much hype, new etching on the head and a new price tag is what most mfg gives the people each year.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:

My opinion of OS is in line with what Nitrovein said. Engines that cost $250-500 should not need to be repinched or have the piston/liner replaced until they have at least 7-8 gallons of hard use on them. Not 1-4 gallons as Iíve noticed is the norm.

Canít convince me to buy an OS. Theyíre junk in my book and always have been. At least with the Italians, theyíre consistent. Iíve got an Italian mill from 20 years ago. Fitted much tighter than the new Italian stuff I have my hands on now. Tight fit means longer life in most cases. Loose fits out of the box is bad juju.
SlowLST2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
My opinion of OS is in line with what Nitrovein said. Engines that cost $250-500 should not need to be repinched or have the piston/liner replaced until they have at least 7-8 gallons of hard use on them. Not 1-4 gallons as Iíve noticed is the norm.

Canít convince me to buy an OS. Theyíre junk in my book and always have been. At least with the Italians, theyíre consistent. Iíve got an Italian mill from 20 years ago. Fitted much tighter than the new Italian stuff I have my hands on now. Tight fit means longer life in most cases. Loose fits out of the box is bad juju.
Indeed, better to have it tight and change the rod after a while. Though it does takes more of an effort to break it in right.
Not sure where OS went wrong, probably a poor choice of material, at least if you look at their cranks.

Still interested though to hear some about the FX engines.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Do you know if the FX last good when it comes to piston/sleeve? Or is it more of a OS deal where they need a pinch every couple of gallons.
The pinch on an Fx is on par with the Italian engines. I rebuild and resize alot of engines and Os does seem to lose it's pinch faster than most engines, especially if overheated.
Here is a video of the newest Fx engine, the k301 3 port. The k301 is a shorter stroke like the B221.

Rex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO4NvUJJTU8
Old 11-24-2017, 04:43 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
The pinch on an Fx is on par with the Italian engines. I rebuild and resize alot of engines and Os does seem to lose it's pinch faster than most engines, especially if overheated.
Here is a video of the newest Fx engine, the k301 3 port. The k301 is a shorter stroke like the B221.

Rex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO4NvUJJTU8
Thanks!
It does seem to run pretty good, though I like the price of the cheaper non DLC engine.
Will try and see if I can find some intell on the timing, looking for something with enough meat left on the bone so I can tailor it to my own liking. (Another point why I don't like OS. )
(And feel free to PM me if you have anything regarding specs on that engine)

Sorry if I derailed this thread!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Just to clarify, that was the 3 port in that video. I should be getting a 5 port Racer in soon and I will post some pics.

Rex
NitroVein likes this.