New engine or rebuild

Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New engine or rebuild

Hi what's people's opinion on rebuilding an engine or just buying a new engine. To rebuild my Mito 7 piston/sleeve/bearings would nearly cost as much as a new Novarossi! The Mito 7 has been great but seems to be nearly worn out.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

For me, if the piston and sleeve sitll have some pinch, i just change and bearings and the conrod and the piston connecting pin, and i dont buy ceremics cuz steel is good enough for my driving. If you are expecting the cost of a new engine, might as well buy a new one for race and do the bearing/conrod maintainence for the old one and keep it for practice.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 203 (100%+)

If your rebuilding the motor, you really would not need a new piston and sleeve, just someone reliable to pinch it, and do ceramic bearings wear out? I guess the biggest question would be, do you want that new motor smell again, as sometimes motors just seem to loose that tune ability, like the needles are getting worn out and you start chasing tune, but for me personally is, I generally have a motor pinched at 2-3 gallons, and new rod if needed and generally they are gone around the 6-7 mark, then someone else can play with the tune
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Re pinching at 2-3 gallons and toast at 6-7? Jeez! You should get 10-12 gallons from one of these better engines before needing to replace it or service it.

To the OP - send the engine to a reputable engine guy and have them look it over if you're not entirely sure what it really needs. To just freshen an engine up is one thing - if you're replacing the everything but the crankcase and head, then yeah... duh.. replace the engine. If you're just changing bearings or so, hell yeah just do that instead!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

My personal opinion is new engine.
New and always new.
Ai in the USA Novarossi Direct USA has excellent prices.
Here in Europe neither comes close to these prices, this from what I have seen.

Mito7 OFF Steel Novarossi Store
385€
Mito7 Ceramic 435€
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

If the main bearing is still good, and has no crunchy spots, I'd get a pinch, a new rod and front bearing. That's about $100 total. If the main bearing isn't good, I'd just replace the engine. The mito has a patented bearing so it can only be replaced with a nova one.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've had lots of luck and saved money getting motors rebuild. All you need is fresh front and rear bearings and a pinch if sleeve not scared up. Check the rod and replaced if needed.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Cool New Engine or Rebuild

I agree with 60_cent. After a season of racing, use a reliable source and have your engines serviced, "Save yourself some dough"
Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 203 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
Re pinching at 2-3 gallons and toast at 6-7? Jeez! You should get 10-12 gallons from one of these better engines before needing to replace it or service it.

I have run a lot of O.S. Motors and even went with arrow motors, just them motors seemed to lack power after 3 gallon mark and would not hold a tune very well, as lots of issues with bearings, that was until buying a very good bearing replacement tool, but issues always came up after the 5 gallon range, so they had to go, but as of this year we are running novarossi, and all have less than 2 gallons, so time will tell how they are
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad View Post
I have run a lot of O.S. Motors and even went with arrow motors, just them motors seemed to lack power after 3 gallon mark and would not hold a tune very well, as lots of issues with bearings, that was until buying a very good bearing replacement tool, but issues always came up after the 5 gallon range, so they had to go, but as of this year we are running novarossi, and all have less than 2 gallons, so time will tell how they are
Ah hah! OS. Nuff sed. They make expensive junk engines that don't last. Makes perfect sense now.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeh5088 View Post
Hi what's people's opinion on rebuilding an engine or just buying a new engine. To rebuild my Mito 7 piston/sleeve/bearings would nearly cost as much as a new Novarossi! The Mito 7 has been great but seems to be nearly worn out.
Unless there is physical damage to the piston or sleeve a pinch will work just as good as new. (And you wont have to break it in)
When I get a customers engine I tell them what it needs an how much wear the crank and rod have. It really depends on how much wear there is to decide if it is worth rebuilding. With normal wear a pinch/front bearing and maybe a rod is all that is needed.
That Mito might have the very expensive offset rear bearing. I can machine the block to accept a std. Nova size bearing.

Rex