Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS! >

VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

daves track has to many rules ...no 8th scales no gas buggy or truggys not even E Buggy but you want people to support it ..... i moved for california thinking you guys had off road tracks for 8th scale i sure was wrong lmfao
Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.GRIDIRON
daves track has to many rules ...no 8th scales no gas buggy or truggys not even E Buggy but you want people to support it ..... i moved for california thinking you guys had off road tracks for 8th scale i sure was wrong lmfao
Daves is in a tenuous situation permit wise; nitro would finish it as I'm assuming you didn't know before making such an informed post. 1/8th Ebuggies tear the place up, create liability issues and most of the people who do the work there to actually maintain the track race 1/10th scale. Before they closed a few years ago, the last indoor dirt track in Portland tried a night to allow 1/8th ebuggies on the track - 45 seconds into the first one, they were gifted a hole in the drivers' stand by that crowd.

Nitro's been dead for 5 years now in OR, a quick browse of this forum or even just five minutes on Google would've lead anyone to that conclusion easily.
tomdav and SC Shaun like this.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
Daves is in a tenuous situation permit wise; nitro would finish it as I'm assuming you didn't know before making such an informed post. 1/8th Ebuggies tear the place up, create liability issues and most of the people who do the work there to actually maintain the track race 1/10th scale. Before they closed a few years ago, the last indoor dirt track in Portland tried a night to allow 1/8th ebuggies on the track - 45 seconds into the first one, they were gifted a hole in the drivers' stand by that crowd.

Nitro's been dead for 5 years now in OR, a quick browse of this forum or even just five minutes on Google would've lead anyone to that conclusion easily.
Exactly.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

https://www.hobbyaction.net/

Build this and they will come!
Troy Mckune likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tomdav
https://www.hobbyaction.net/

Build this and they will come!
You have done it once Tom, you can do it again.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadB.
You have done it once Tom, you can do it again.
I wish.
SC Shaun likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I feel ya. Had a similar experience when I bought a fancy new house on a 7000 square foot lot. Imagine my surprise when we were told we couldn't keep our 6 horses and 100 head of cattle in the backyard. Stupid house.
MarkA and T-Hawk like this.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Now that Dave's track is closing offroad, is there anymore interest for a track in pdx area?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vwjuice
Now that Dave's track is closing offroad, is there anymore interest for a track in pdx area?
I think it's hard to say the issue has been interest, it's been making the numbers add up. If, and this is a big "if", the unfortunate closure of Dave's means people were to support a PDX-area track year-round, that math remains hard but gets a bit easier. At RCP we're down @30% so far this summer, NW is -@50% and none of those entries were lost to Dave's, at least not on the results sheets I've seen; they were lost to the sunshine.

A straight Dave's replacement would be to work with a cities' parks and rec department; trade construction and maintenance of a simple but race-worthy outdoor facility for the land using the blue crew model/"BARC" club that existed there. In that scenario, you're not talking about a club trying to sign up for a six-figure lease commitment, etc. etc. and it becomes a test-run for that sort of aforementioned model.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
I think it's hard to say the issue has been interest, it's been making the numbers add up. If, and this is a big "if", the unfortunate closure of Dave's means people were to support a PDX-area track year-round, that math remains hard but gets a bit easier. At RCP we're down @30% so far this summer, NW is -@50% and none of those entries were lost to Dave's, at least not on the results sheets I've seen; they were lost to the sunshine.

A straight Dave's replacement would be to work with a cities' parks and rec department; trade construction and maintenance of a simple but race-worthy outdoor facility for the land using the blue crew model/"BARC" club that existed there. In that scenario, you're not talking about a club trying to sign up for a six-figure lease commitment, etc. etc. and it becomes a test-run for that sort of aforementioned model.
Yeah I wonder how things will turn out. When a main was still around we had enough interest in the summer to keep going.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwjuice
Yeah I wonder how things will turn out. When a main was still around we had enough interest in the summer to keep going.
I remember those days. Even tried a small Parking Lot and onroad racing.

I think the Glory days of RC are behind us. I've wanted to open my own LHS complete with track etc. but if I WERE a multi-Millionaire to do what I want, I would build a facility.
Having raced in Portland off and on for 20ish years, and whats already been said is attracting and drawing new blood to maintain and support the hobby.

Getting in new people and maintaining that interest is important and RC can get Clique-ish and even from new racers I have spoken to, it can create an uncomfortable environment.

I hope Racing in Portland continues.

MOmo
Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Rookie

What about some sort of kickstarter (or equivalent) funding to start?

Clearly the interest is here, as others have said it is more about the numbers.

I think the "grassroots" marketing is where things will be at. If funding could be acquired via kickstarter and either things are started with a seasonal outdoor track (maybe with the help from the city/parks and rec) or we get enough money together to lease a facility.

Anyway you spin it, there will be a lot of hardwork and dedication.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've mentioned Alpenrose for years. The sports facility in Beaverton, which is where Tammie's had their track back in the day. I don't have the time to run a race program, but for someone that is serious about it, it'd be worth a phone call. Alpenrose is a client of mine - any time I've talked to them about the availability of space for an RC track, they've enthusiastically replied that they'd be on board. Population density, close proximity to a major hobby shop, great exposure... Still have to find volunteers to help build, maintain, and run the track.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

I like the idea of what Die Hard RC have done when track was set up for the weekend at various of locations.

I happen found a park in Woodland, WA area, just north of La Center that is maintained by Clark County Parks. The Bratton Canyon Park is hidden back in the woods about 3 miles from Woodland where not a lot of usage happens. There is no creeks or lakes but has a basketball court and a picnic area. I talked with the host and found that the park is hardly use by anyone especially they have events on the weekends 5 to 10 times during summer. They said its a great idea to have a weekend event for RC on the basketball court area with Astro Turf or carpet. Although the park is only for day use, they said we can contact the Program Manager to ask for permits to use the park for weekend and camping as well. Apparently, the Program Manager is more than HAPPY to have us use the park as often as we like and use it for camping. There is a gate at the road that closes at dusk. A lot of maintenance needed in the campsites, because shrubs been covering the area, I will ask if they will clean it up. And the best part about using their park, IT'S FREE! Yes no charge at all!!! I know it is quite away from PDX, Vancouver but I think we should start there and raise fund for future establishment. There is about 10 campsites and about 10 parking spaces but I m pretty sure we can squeeze more cars and trucks.

The court is surrounded by trees, which gets hot in middle of the day but in the late afternoon it cools down because the sun is set behind the tall trees.

There is two post for volleyball and appears not removable, host said no one uses it at all, and will ask Program manager if they are willing to remove it. Ask if we can set a floor raise for racers?

Only thing that doesn't have is an electricity near the basketball court but does have electricity up the hill which is quite away. I have a 2 cycle generator that feeds 800 amps might work for several racers but if someone can bring a generator..........

Funding and donating of some kind would be great idea to initiate this? A small trailer that fit rolls of Astro Turf or Carpets, pipes, jumps and other items??!! I live in La Center, about 11 minute drive from the park.
Attached Thumbnails VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!-bratton-canyon-park.jpg   VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!-img_1769.jpg   VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!-img_1768.jpg  

Last edited by nwsc5m; 07-31-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Tech Rookie

My two cents...
I think a track, especially indoor, can only survive with a shop attached to it. I'm just coming back from Southern California from TQ Racing.... Great place, great store and they seem to do really well.

I get the whole "cabin fever" thing in Oregon, but if you want race outside outdoor (on-road) there is Rose City Scale Racing ... I wanna say I doesn't get better than this one.

A indoor on-road track is missing in the Portland area after Premier R/C closed down.

Again, anything indoor (regardless if on or off-road) needs a shop with it to cover for costs.
Otherwise I don't see it working -- but on the other hand, I'm not an expert in running a track -- just mentioning what I observe.

Still having my hopes for an indoor on-road carpet track in Portland
wanabgts likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.