Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rally, hooning, parking/dirt lot fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Difuser
Not to be a downer but chassis limits always limit participation. People have kits they don't race laying around in boxes. For some it's an Xray T4 for others it's an HPI pro4. Who's "fault" is that? If there's a limit and person has to buy a chassis that is "limited" enough, also read older, why would that drive them to participate?
Leave the limits of, if you have a 70 car field and people beating your door down to race Rally then you are in a good place to consider limits. Until then you're just giving any possible additions a finger and excluding them.
You are right, but limits are what keeps the field competitive. It's not intentionally excluding them. If they want to race, there's nothing to stop them from buying a chassis within the specs. People do it for other classes. I don't know anyone who thinks it's okay to race a 1/8 scale rally against a 1/10 scale rally, everything is different between the two chassis. If you limit the chassis to 200mm wheelbase (for example), you even the field to allow similar chassis to compete. Otherwise, people will be bringing their 1/8 OFNA Ravager mods to race against your little XV-01. Sure, for bashing or trying out the spec there's no reason why everyone shouldn't bring what they have; our choices for rally are limited, afterall. But for competition there's no need to allow just anything. Every rally club who's forum I've read, has a limit on the wheel base for no other reason than to even the playing field.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
That's interesting. Perhaps when they release more information we can see how they modified it from an SC truck. It may just make it easier to create a rally chassis.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

looks like direct competition for the traxxas rally car. if...i were to get a 1/8 rally i would consider both rigs due to price and parts availability. but ill probably stick to the xv01 chassis.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eearlyboid
One thing I would say though. After doing some research and lurking forums and such, I'm totally on par with limits on the chassis. It seems to level the playing field; especially with the random variants found in current stock "out of the box" rally options (not talking about modifying a chassis here).
Just some words from Czech fellow

One reason why rally is so popular here is that it has very few limits, compared to other classes:
You can have any chassis with width 200mm or less which can fit 1:10 scale body (only scale rally car based bodies are allowed). You can use any electronics, mostly 2S HC and 540 motors are permitted, but some local cups have more free rules. Only limit on tires is 75mm diameter and 30mm width. That's all.
This keeps rally racing really cheap and gives you huge space for experiments and homemade modifications - some people enjoy modifying their cars more, than actual racing

I would recommend you at least scale/width limit, because it's difficult to get different scales on one track - rally track should be slow and technical - if you make track for TC-based cars, it will be too difficult for Slash-based cars and too easy for 1/16.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would love a rally class in Portland. I think a 1/10 and a 1/8 class would be great.

Any 1/8 buggy with a rally car body. Or the Traxxas, losi, AE, or kyosho vehicles would work.

For 1/10 class you could use any 200mm sedan and it would be fun. Even the cheap exceed or redcat cars could be used and it would make for a very inexpensive and fun time.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Do I smell some potential neighborly meetups? 3 hours of driving for some rally action is totally doable
Old 04-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by vwjuice
I would love a rally class in Portland. I think a 1/10 and a 1/8 class would be great.

Any 1/8 buggy with a rally car body. Or the Traxxas, losi, AE, or kyosho vehicles would work.

For 1/10 class you could use any 200mm sedan and it would be fun. Even the cheap exceed or redcat cars could be used and it would make for a very inexpensive and fun time.
I'm down for a trip to P-town!

Not trying to be a downer, just thinking here... I'm beginning to think that racing 1/8 size chassis would be easier, since there are simply more options. It's easy to put a rally body onto a ST truck, or lift a buggy and rally with that. Thing is, Papy has a good point; rallying 1/8th on a 1/10th track is simply too hard.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Eearlyboid
I'm down for a trip to P-town!

Not trying to be a downer, just thinking here... I'm beginning to think that racing 1/8 size chassis would be easier, since there are simply more options. It's easy to put a rally body onto a ST truck, or lift a buggy and rally with that. Thing is, Papy has a good point; rallying 1/8th on a 1/10th track is simply too hard.
If we are setting something up in an old parking lot, then we could easily set something up that would work well for both 1/8 and 1/10. However finding a place like a park that's already setup would be ideal and 1/10 would be be easier to run then since it's smaller. At a park we would just need a trail leafing to a dust covered dirt parking lot.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Honestly I am thinking it would be pretty easy to build a temporary track that could be setup and taken down easily. Some jumps built with plywood and a 2X4. The jumps would have to be high to be scale. Then use some rope to define the lanes.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

check this video out. 1/5 cars on ice with spiked tires. wait for the guy with the subaru body. he can drift that thing well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sCx...t=HL1399061790
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
check this video out. 1/5 cars on ice with spiked tires. wait for the guy with the subaru body. he can drift that thing well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sCx...t=HL1399061790
That is so awesome. I've been pricing out and virtually putting together a 1/5th gasser for sometime in the near future, looking at the Losi 5ive with a customized mod engine. I wonder if I could get a rally body and some good tires for it
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Initiate

So, I decided to turn my TC3 into a rally car, because last weekend I happened to get a TC6.1. From what I can find, the TC3 should rally good but it's going to take some work to get it properly functional.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

For any of you guys that race, topgear hobbies in Portland is moving to a new building over the next couple months. They are also changing from a clay dirt track to an off road carpet track. They've ran some good layouts that would be easy in a rally car.

We have 4 people already talking about a rally class and even a class of the old Tamiya pertinent TA-02 trucks with silver can motors or something cheap like the hpi 15t fire bolt motors. This would keep cost down and keep it an even field.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BITD the old Amain track in vancouver ran a Rally class.

Scott K (DKOV) was and still is heavily involved in full sized rally (Anyone attend the OTR this weekend at PIR and Dufer?) and started a Rally class back when the RS4 Rally, Losi Rally Weapon, Yokomo rally and TC3 conversion were popular.

The rules were pretty simple. 200mm body, motor limited to 540 stock (pre brushless folks!) motors. People had either hopped up cars or practically stock. we raced on the same track as offroad. Race was started and run just like rally. Points awarded for all spots finishing. even if you broke, and could still drive, you earn points. It was a BLAST! I think the record was over 23 cars.

I know I've been eying my RS4 rally and working on a few updates to try and get it out to the track.

I'm intrigued by the new AE rally, but it and the losi and the traxxas because of their size, don't do it for me.

From the bash factor of a moderate outdoor track, i say Ya! but I really appreciate the Scale aspect of the 10th scale platform.

MOmo
Attached Thumbnails Rally, hooning, parking/dirt lot fun-rally3.jpg   Rally, hooning, parking/dirt lot fun-rally2.jpg   Rally, hooning, parking/dirt lot fun-chassis.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

I sold my rally rs4's last year, but I want to get a new Tamiya rally. I like the scale of the 200mm sedans, but I love the size of the traxxas, Losi, and AE rally cars. Wish there was some realistic bodies for those.