Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts >

Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts

Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Oh yeah....that 2050 is way plenty for out there!

I'm hoping my new soldering station shows up tomorrow. I bought anew one from a dude on here that shipped it out a few days ago. I also ordered a new Tekin Hotwire because I didn't have one. I'd like to put on a different ESC if my new radio/RX has issues with it like my old M8 did. If it does.....sounds like I may need to box it up and send it to tekin for a repair. Reading through the Tekin RX8 thread.....seems like there must of been a big bad batch of ESC's that came out. A lot of people sending them back in.....which has back logged them for 6-8weeks for a return.

I have a couple spares , so I should be good to go this next weekend if the weather is good.

And oh man....since I did my total tear down and rebuild.....I found so many things put together wrong and without any locktite it was crazy. My two rear hubs were one hole off from each other as well. Steering ackerman was set in the wrong holes.....bunch of little things. Should drive like a whole different buggy now ( better ).....and I even liked it before!
We could use my radio with your esc and test it out? if your radio isn't going to be here for a while. I have had no problems calibrating both my Rx8's with my M11x. So when you calibrate you hold the rx8 mode button until it beeps.. then don't do anything until it chimes the first time(It found neutral) then pull forward throttle, until it chimes... then reverse until it chimes and then I think it chimes one more time to tell you calibration is complete?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Woody,
I'm curious to see how your SMCs work out. A couple years back, they were having big issues with their Lipos, major puffing, etc. and those batteries were NOT cheap. $90-$100+ each! When the company was asked about it since it was happening so often, they came up with a million things you had to do to take care of their batteries. I can't remember the list as I didn't have any of their batteries, but it seemed pretty lame to me. A lot of racers at that time quit buying them because of the problems. (There was also a thread on tech). The puffing was MAJOR - I knew some drivers that had them. But it may be remedied by now, so let me know how they work now if you get them. I may need to pick up a battery or two, or maybe I just need to stop balancing them so often. Sometimes I even take them off the charger too soon. I tried straight charging a pack a couple days ago and it actually balanced the cells out higher and better than using balance mode, and the battery had more punch. In balance mode, sometimes my battery will "time out" too, but in straight charge it seems to do fine.

Not sure how much we'll make it out there to the track this year. Looks like
8th scale is dominating now and it looks to be geared more for 8th scale. Nothing at all wrong with that, so don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I know the 8th scales are capable of so much more than the layouts you had last year. And I'm glad you are getting more guys to run with. That makes it way more fun. But I think our little 10th scale stadium trucks will basically be "jam cars" now and mostly in the way. I am enjoying the photos you are posting and like seeing how high the vehicles can jump. I think you are doing a great job with the photos. Those cars are not easy to photograph at their speeds. Thanks again for starting this thread. Take care!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Diane, I hadn't heard about SMC in a long while. I was just stumbled on them when I was doing some research on C rating. I liked what he was doing. I liked the concept that he is ordering them from China, basically like everyone else, but he actually have a QA process himself to make sure they are to his spec.

I think some of these shops may just slap'em together and ship them out the door. He also seems to have reasonable priced packs. There seems to be a good range for all budgets. If you want the ultra spendy, I just feel you are paying for his QA standard highest quality. Batteries are a funny business, because there are so many variables, but the main one I find, is racer care. Slow/fast charge, balancing, running to lvc, each battery seems to be a little different and what works for one battery doesn't always work for another. Not to mention motors that demand more and more amps, which seems to reach the limits of 2 cell packs.

On the 1/8th scales. Yeah right now the track is pretty dominated by them. There are still a few 1/10 scales and Mary is running a 1/10th 4x4 SCTE. I'm still keeping mine as well. Right now with the weather the way it is I think its mainly the die-hards running when they can. I have a feeling that in the spring/summer 1/10th scale will pick back up. I know personally I plan on not throwing my 1/8th scale on the track with a bunch of 1/10 scales out there too. I would feel too bad breaking somebody's new spendy toy. I know it happens and nobody tries to do it, but skill levels vary, and some of these 1/8th scales are probably pushing 9lbs. Accidents with smaller vehicles are bound to cause breakage. Its just part of the hobby and it happens all the time. It doesn't mean I don't to do my part and be responsible in limiting exposure that cause those conditions. Hey we are out there to have fun, and I want everybody to have as much fun as possible!

Well I will try to post up pics when I can, and figure out how to do the thumbnail pic thing. I hope you and Don can make it out on occasion and come join us in some fun!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

is this track electric only? have nitro 1/8th scale buggy that needs a track
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KR145
is this track electric only? have nitro 1/8th scale buggy that needs a track
unfortunately it is electric only. Not that the track owner has anything against nitro's. It is however is a residential community and wants to keep his neighbors somewhat appeased. Its bad enough in the summer that we are throwing dust up constantly, which we try to keep watered down. Not to mention you get 10 guys out there running even electric cars and there is some noise.

Occasionally monitor this thread though as we are always looking for ways to expand our track availability. Who knows we might find a place where we can set up a nitro friendly track.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

understandable. place looks fun though.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys for your comments on my new paint job, if the weather holds out for this weekend it probably wont look as nice by the end of the day on sunday. Hope to see you all out there to do some drivin......
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Related, but is anyone in Columbia county looking for housing?

My folks in warren have a rental available after next month. If anyone interested please pm me. 2 acres, space for horses etc. Scappoose/warren boarder.

Momo
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default Track Sat.

The word is - Firridge will be open tomorrow or until it starts raining
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tuning links

Haven't posted in a couple days...

With the eb48 and not a lot setup sheets posted yet, I started re-reading some of my bookmarks that I have been using for tuning. I thought I would share if anybody is interested. http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
(The quick reference guide is handy)

Another good read... http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ber-links.html
Title says tuning with Camber links but it really has some good info on spring choice, oils, among other things. Its a long read because it is a forum. Its pretty popular though and I have seen many people refer to it.

oh and this one says its specific to the SCTE, but most of it is general tuning, has alot the the same info in the first link.
http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...uning_Tips.pdf
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default weekend 9th-10th

If the weatherman isn't lying...(lol) this weekend looks to be a good time at the track! I will definitely try to make it both days, long as the everything holds up.
Haven't stocked up on many spares on the Tekno, but I have plenty for the SCTE!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Track was good at Firridge yesterday. The track actually dried up some. Cars were pretty clean.
Track is definitely a technical one now. I don't think anybody had to worry about heat on their motors. If you like to pin your throttle most of the time, you are going to have trouble on this one.

There is a definite rhythm to it. You get off of it, and it takes you a while to get back in the groove. I think the hardest part to learning it, is where to stand that you can see all the whoops and jumps the best for timing. There is no one good spot, so stand in one place and figure out the distances and speeds, then commit to memory and move to a different spot lol.

I think the hardest part for me is the back straight(closest to the house). Where I like to stand I can't see the distances, so I have to basically hope I'm straight and make corrections based on flight off the jump.
If you can setup to land on top the of the first table top then you should be able to get a decent run through the rest. Haven't played much with a lot of throttle in there though, so there are probably some better lines. I was just trying to find a decent consistent one. The key is based on if you can setup after the first jump coming into the straight then landing the first table top, at least for me.

Anybody else have any tips to share on this track?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Jump the first left hand double out of the corner,jump low or roll the next short tabletop.jump on the gas and jump the next two tabletops clear and then simply twitch right and double out.lol. It does work even with a 2wd short course.Have more trouble with the right double double,triple stepup,I really stink at the small down hill quad dont know why.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kim day
Jump the first left hand double out of the corner,jump low or roll the next short tabletop.jump on the gas and jump the next two tabletops clear and then simply twitch right and double out.lol. It does work even with a 2wd short course.Have more trouble with the right double double,triple stepup,I really stink at the small down hill quad dont know why.
uh yeah, I followed all that haha!. Plus you changed it all up on us again today.
That front straight is a different animal now.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Lipos,brushless motor systems,2.4 radios,way better plastics.So why are the local tracks,running track layouts from 30 years ago.Have not seen a single rhythm section where you must checkup as not to over jump and then floor it to make the next section.How about off angle jumps with off angle landings.Or any jump that requires a tap of the brakes in the air .I have just gotten accustom to supercross style tracks.Last time I went to topgear other than trying to set a really fast lap time ,track had no challenges to overcome,no learning to be done other than car setup.I like topgear would like to see more difficulty from the track layouts.Rc cars have come a really long way in the last couple of years,should not our tracks do the same.What do you think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.