Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers 2013 Emerald City Classic >

Seattle RC Racers 2013 Emerald City Classic

Seattle RC Racers 2013 Emerald City Classic

Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I vote most EPIC finish was WGT.... Wes drove outstanding to get back on BB.... oh man that was awesome!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Todd,

Do you know the final race numbers, entries and people?

Steve
it look like there were around about 115 entires
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
I vote most EPIC finish was WGT.... Wes drove outstanding to get back on BB.... oh man that was awesome!
Seriously +1
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
I wish he had passed him in the chicane. Not to see Brian lose but that a chicane pass for the win is like the ultimate finish!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Awesome race event once again by the Seattle Crew! You guys always do a great job with this event its always one I'm going to make and the competition keeps getting better every year! Cant wait for next year!

Jason
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

First off, I get amazed at how fast the human brain can process instantly situations as they unfold. Its no mystery that a few of us have been doing this few years, but when you strategize on the fly.... and it works! Wow. There is no question that Wes has the wgt to beat right now. That is a seriously great working car. Props to Wes for making that Serpent look sharp. Keith had me try some Orca motors for R3, he promised it would be stronger then my D3.5. My risk was going into R3 with an unknown and let Wes drive away... which he did. Clearly he made a statement by pushing the car into a 33 lap run only to have something fade at the end and still land a new track record that I am confident will be there for the rest of this layout. Keith arrives with yet another motor and claims its even better then the first. What do I have to loose? I only can hope to gain. So Orca #2 gets soldered up with 2 less teeth. I have a general plan in warm up, first lap: dry the tires off, if the car is not good, take a 2nd lap, if good on the first, park it and save the bat, if the steering is not right after 2, jump off the stand and fix the camber. Mine was good. I knew I was going to have to nail the tone. Dave is always fast in the opening laps and he was right behind me. I couldn't let Wes get out of range early. It was a great start, no mistakes by anyone. Wes was starting to inch away, there was not enough car to catch him. I instantly go into which line is Wes taking through the left side of the track? He was killing me through there 2 weeks ago.... gotta improve there. But I was on the same line he was. I was stronger on the right side then he was 2 weeks ago, not this time. I was losing him. Then the unspeakable happens. Wes clips a pipe in the middle, lands right at the feet of the marshal for a quick flip, but the damage was done. Dave and I just snuck by. Now instead of trying to maintain 2nd, I switched over to mode: RUN! As soon as Wes cleared the battle with Dave for position, he had a clear path at me. The motor gamble was starting to show the risk of unknown, it was starting to fade. Wes was coming like a gale force wind and I was a dime store $2 kite on a short string. I was going to get mowed over. There was enough cheering that I couldn't tell if we were on the white flag lap or not. All I knew is that this was not over. We cross the line again, the snake coiled and ready to strike. I would have to make the car wider. So here is where the brian processes strategy fast, create a solution, execute, analyze the results. Coming down the straight, I hug the inside leaving only the outside for Wes, I wanted to get into the right side 180 hot, hit the brake, leave no room. But no! I over shoot it leaving Wes a wide open inside. Of course he jumped at it. Then instantly in my mind I think: ok, we'll go side by side, he will have the long route around. So without panic, I stab throttle and we pair up for the entrance of the martini glass, Wes on the outside. I flashed back to Days of Thunder and said to myself: mine, mine.... mine... Fortunately the shorter inside lane worked for me by the end of the martini glass as the next plan was to scrape Wes off on the inside of the next apex as I was going to be on the outside. I didn't have to execute that move fortunately. The finish line lay 15' away with open arms. The car was used up. I would not have survived another lap. Yes, that was a race! Props to Wes for bringing it to that level. Todd predicted a few weeks ago that it was going to be a battle and we aimed to please.

I want to take the time to thank all of our sponsors that contributed to our raffle. I wish I had a list, but from memory: Emerald City RC, CRC, Slapmaster Tools, KLMason, Orca, Awesomatix.... hope I got them all, sorry if I missed. It was our unintentional goal to offer up a superb race at a very affordable rate. Making it slightly too affordable and not quite having all the expense numbers in, we had a slight panic. It was looking like the race was going to be well into the red. Kody picked up the phone, typed out some email, tossed us the life ring. Before long, we had the makings of a raffle in record time. Then Kody tapped the infectious fun antics of Raffle Miester Kyle who drove the sales department to success. Thank you guys for all that effort! It's the difference between dipping into out own pockets vs successful race.

Thanks to all who supported our race! You all are truly the reason we do this. It is so rewarding to see all have so much fun and actually appreciate the effort our club puts out. And it wouldn't happen with out Todd and his leadership.

Brian
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yet another post about what an awesome day it was.

Highlights for me:

- That WGT battle for sure.

- Stock 1/12 A-Main 2-3-4 battle. Jeff was the model of patience for what seemed like an eternity. Brian was a class act, checking up to let that battle unfold without pushing through to put everyone a lap down, and even letting Garrett past to join the fun.

- Scale Spec Q3... Holy friggin' close, ! I had the second or maybe 3rd fastest car, but it was hard to drive and took about 5 laps to get into a rhythm with it, and that was the difference between P2-3 and the P5 I ended up at!

- Watching Kody in Q3 of Mod TC... Kody is always fast, but he usually looks like he's Sunday driving. But in Q3, he looked liked he was flogging that car, but it was totally stuck and inch perfect everywhere. Definitely inspiring.

- Front row seat watching Dave in Mod 12 from the T in the middle of the track. I cannot comprehend how a car that fast can be driven that precisely.

- Stock TC Q3. My personal best run, ever, and the most dialed I've ever had a car. As soon as the RD said I was deep into a 30 lap pace at about the 2 minute mark, I started shaking. Trying to stay focused and keep it clean, trying not to pay too much attention to Panoz about 1 second back, who was ready to pounce if I made any mistakes.... I was so jittery I lost some speed, but still managed to close it out with my first 30-lap run. It took me about an hour for the butterflies to wear off. What a dramatic difference from making I think the C main at the ECC last year.

- Scale Spec A-Main. I tested a few changes to the car to try and get it locked in and easier to drive, because I knew it was going to be a tough race and it'd come down to who made the fewest mistakes. Starting in 5th, I had my work cut out for me. So I threw on a softer top deck, stood the front shocks up one hole, and sauced sparingly. It worked, and the car was easy to drive hard and tight. Phil flipped it through the sweeper on lap 2, letting me and Bill through. Then Bill went wide at the end of the sweeper, and I managed to sneak past. Then I set out to chase down Franko. It took quite a while, but I was chipping away at a tenth or two per lap. When he made a mistake, I managed to close right up on him, and then get around him when he brushed a board, I think in the chicane. Unfortunately, I slowed down a bit too much around the front left corner trying to make sure I didn't give him an opening to re-pass me, and he caught the back corner of my car. He got the worst of it, but it was enough for Bill to sneak past us both, and I just couldn't catch him. Then almost immediately Jeff Sr. was coming hard and fast. I ran wide at the end of the sweeper and he snuck through, but then at the chicane he ran just wide enough for me to sneak my nose in, but not enough for me to get all the way past. I didn't want to peel him, so I kept it super tight to the dots and the pipe, but kept my speed up. Then in the left hander, he left just enough room for me crank the car around under him and get clear before the kink. It was undoubtedly the best pass I've ever managed to pull off, and it's a shame he caught the kink and flipped, otherwise that would have been an intense few laps to the finish.

- Mod TC A-Main. Jake made Kody work for it, that's for sure.

- I think the biggest highlight for me, though, was just how clean and fast the pre-sort qualifiers were. Scale Spec especially can sometimes be a bit of a brawl with everyone of different speeds mixed together. The Stock 1/12 qualifiers I marshaled were super clean, too. And Stock TC can sometimes, too, especially with fully-packed heats of 8 cars, but everyone raced incredibly cleanly and patiently.

- The Stock TC A-Main seemed rather anti-climactic, I think because the grip was just stupidly high by that point. It seemed like things fell apart for a lot of us. I took .2* camber out to try and reduce traction roll, but it made it feel like I was ice-skating, and went the wrong way on traction roll, giving it a nasty snap flip right at the apex. While I had a pretty good battle with Panoz, it was more like a "who's going to have less horrible mistakes" race instead of a hard nose-to-tail battle. On the bright side, Phil Gibson closed the book on what seemed like a problem-fraught and tough day by putting in a super fast and clean drive to take 3rd from the lower end of the grid. Talk about getting it together when it counts.

Tough break of the day "award" has to go to Frank, though. He clearly should have been duking it out for the podium in Stock TC, but wiped the front end off his car when a spectator stepped onto the straight during warmup in Q3, costing him his run in the fastest round, $$ for parts and a new servo, and his Q2 time leaving him 4th on the grid. Then it looked like his car was simply not working in the main, causing him to go backwards instead of forwards, and eventually retiring.

So thanks to everyone who made this event happen. I'm sure I can't list everyone, but you know who you are, and I had a blast.

I'm looking forward to one last go at the rug on the 20th!

-Mike
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Props to Wes for bringing it to that level. Todd predicted a few weeks ago that it was going to be a battle and we aimed to please.
Thanks to everyone for the positive words, it was a heck of a race. 117 entries, 18 heats.. I have seen smaller Nationals. We raced, and we raced hard. Everyone did fantastic.

The Serpent is solid. Seems like I have thrown thousands of setups at that car trying to find an edge. It was nice to shut Ehrlich up finally after the disappointment I felt after winning Timezone.... However, I was out hunting big game and the great white buffalo eluded me once again after having it solid in my sights... Another lesson learned from Professor Bodine. Next time I'll have a kill shot, hopefully.

Hey Brian....I think your website just crashed.

Most fun is the battle between Todd and I... to be clear, I didn't touch him, he donkey flipped on his own! Over the last few years it's been clear that both of our cars are going to want to occupy the same spot of carpet, so I made sure I had more motor! Modified 1/12 is ridiculous and we had ourselves a great dog fight.

Thanks to everyone who helped out before, after, and during. Alex and Todd, thanks for running the show. You sacrifice your own race program so we all can have fun. Kyle, thanks so much for running the raffle and being an example of good sportsmanship, you had everyone digging deep into their pockets to help the club.

One more race. April 20th I will hold the club election, more details to follow.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All 15 Mains have been posted to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...gGe6nXyAVrMyu_
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

thank to the seattle crew had a blast and it was nice to meet new people and also seeing old friends again. yes my car was not the same after that incident but i had a good time and i hope i can make more trips up to see the seattle crew again maybe in the summer races. i will make the ecc next year for sure. i still think that the root beer that was with the lunch was beer never had root beer taste like that but it was good . thanks again everyone and see eveyone soon....

frank bortolazzo
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default 17.5 Xti set up

For anyone interested, here's what I ran for set up. This truly was an easy car to drive. One thing that is not on the set up notes, I ran an Altered chassis with a Xti rear plate.... it shortens the wheel base to that of a XL. The second reason was to see if the shorter rear plate would keep the car free'd up towards the end of the run and not get the rear tires too glued down as the battery gets soft. Wes' run from a few months ago was quicker, so I can not really say that I succeeded at my goal of scratching his name from the record list. While the Sonic got the job done, more testing could yield a better motor.
Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xti SRCR ECC set up.pdf (407.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default GenX10LE SRCR ECC set up

My wgt was also very easy to drive, problem was that Wes' was faster. I was having some inside rear tire lift through the corners that more preload on the side springs seem to flatten the chassis out. I reduced the camber gain by switching out my 2.0 front spacer for a 2.5. I should have added a front top brace but that is tough to do when you leave it at home. Testing the Orca motors in the final round and main was risky, but they certainly were worthy. With just a couple more runs, I am sure they will be right at the front with the best.
Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10LE SRCR ECC set up.pdf (325.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

oh this guy again...

Seattle RC Racers 2013 Emerald City Classic-644529_292190290913508_696309718_n.jpg

Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

SAM!!!! Where's all you dad"s pics????