Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
What Do You Guys Run On-Road? >

What Do You Guys Run On-Road?

What Do You Guys Run On-Road?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default What Do You Guys Run On-Road?

I know you guys hate newbie questions.. I can't totally call myself a newbie, I have been tinkering with buggies for 30 years. However, I have an itch to get a new car and I have plenty of off-road cars and have never really thought about an on-road car until now. I have poked around the web a bit and of course everyone always says to ask the locals and that is pretty much the crew here.

So.. What do you guys run for parking lot racing? I have always liked Tamiya products and would lean toward TRF kits, but as you guys know parts for Tamiya products are mail order only. My primary use will be parking lot racing and who knows if I will end up doing any carpet racing or not. I will probably build my first car for pavement and if I decide I like it enough I will build another for carpet. I do want something I can fit a standard LiPo hard case pack in (if possible) and unlimited motor and gear options.

I must be old because I always thought ultra-light RWD was the way to go (like pan cars) but it looks like just about every modern car is AWD.

Anyway, replies are definitely appreciated!!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
I know you guys hate newbie questions.. I can't totally call myself a newbie, I have been tinkering with buggies for 30 years. However, I have an itch to get a new car and I have plenty of off-road cars and have never really thought about an on-road car until now. I have poked around the web a bit and of course everyone always says to ask the locals and that is pretty much the crew here.

So.. What do you guys run for parking lot racing? I have always liked Tamiya products and would lean toward TRF kits, but as you guys know parts for Tamiya products are mail order only. My primary use will be parking lot racing and who knows if I will end up doing any carpet racing or not. I will probably build my first car for pavement and if I decide I like it enough I will build another for carpet. I do want something I can fit a standard LiPo hard case pack in (if possible) and unlimited motor and gear options.

I must be old because I always thought ultra-light RWD was the way to go (like pan cars) but it looks like just about every modern car is AWD.

Anyway, replies are definitely appreciated!!
Asking the locals is always a great idea. Where in the Northwest are you hoping to hit the pavement? Are there any particular tracks that you are hoping to race at. There may be some differences within the Northwest region.

In, general the most popular on road cars are 190mm 4wd touring cars such as the Tamiya TA06 or 417. You can have fun with cars ranging in price from the Associated TC4 for $150 or a high dollar car such as the $500ish Tamiya 417 or XRAY T3 or T4. In the Tacoma/Seattle area the Associated TC6.1 and XRAY cars seem to be the most popular. If you are a Tamiya fan, then I see no reason to not get a Tamiya and bring some spares to the track for when you break. The only draw back may be it will probably cost a little more cash to keep a 417 running than a less expensive car.

In your post you mentioned direct drive rear wheel drive pan cars. Another great option would be to pick up a Tamiya F104. They fit standard batteries, look great, don't cost a ton, and are fun to drive. They aren't as popular, but depending on where you live, it may be an option.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned I am in Maple Valley so all of the Seattle tracks aren't too far. I will most likely start racing behind Radio Control Hobbies in Covington to get my feet wet first and then branch out so I don't drive like a total tool getting in everyone's way.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM
piper48

Default TC cars

In my opinion, the most common on-road cars you'll see on the track here in the Northwest is either a AE TC6.1 or the XRAY T3. Parts availability at your local hobby shop (RC HObbies in Woodenville or FantasyWorld in Tacoma) would go to the TC6 and also parts are cheaper too. The XRAY parts are pricier and you'll more than likely have to order online but both stores do carry some parts. With the extra cost for XRAY parts you'll get back in durability and great parts fit. Just my opinion.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by piper48
In my opinion, the most common on-road cars you'll see on the track here in the Northwest is either a AE TC6.1 or the XRAY T3. Parts availability at your local hobby shop (RC HObbies in Woodenville or FantasyWorld in Tacoma) would go to the TC6 and also parts are cheaper too. The XRAY parts are pricier and you'll more than likely have to order online but both stores do carry some parts. With the extra cost for XRAY parts you'll get back in durability and great parts fit. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the replies guys! Even a used XRAY is about the same price as a new TC6.1 (eBay). Those are freaking expensive! I will keep an eye on the for sale section here to see what comes up too. Half of the fun for me is building the cars but price may have me considering second hand for the right car.

Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default PM'd

JeepnMike, you have a PM
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30

You might want to consider checking out Hangar 30 this Saturday or a future Saturday. Plenty of good people to chat with about cars, and there is a strong Novice class and loaner car program. So, you could even reserve a loaner and race some Novice: http://seattlercracers.com/loaner-program/