Wiki Posts
Search

The Future of Offroad in Portland

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default The Future of Offroad in Portland

Well the rumors have been answered and PRCR is closing. I know I am new to the offroad scene but I am not ready to go cold turkey for the winter. Since I started racing offroad in the spring I have had one of the best RC experiences ever. I have made many new friends, had plenty of awesome battles (except those with Joey LOL), and traveled to some killer 3 day events. The offroad scene in Portland is currently alive a thriving. Last week there were 76 entries at Dave's and 47 on a Tuesday at PRCR.

Back in the day when I started racing (88-92) there were multiple offroad tracks in the Metro area including RC Cars (Dana's) in Vancouver, Race City USA in Vancouver, Rose City RC at 142nd and Stark, Hillsboro Fairgrounds in the winter, Salem Fairgrounds in the winter, Aero in the Summer, and RC Plus in the summer.

We have 2 months and counting before we are without a track.

The Purpose of this thread is to put together people and ideas to get a track, club, facility, RD, Software and Loop, etc together.

So if anyone has any ideas, the hook up on a cheap facility or fairgrounds please post it here. If your going to buy PRCR or opening a new RC track please let us know!

If there is a way to keep PRCR open for 5-6 more months let us know.

If there is now chance of keeping PRCR open, I am thinking our best chance is to mimic was was done at Hillsboro and Salem fairgrounds. It was cold but at least we had a track and racing. We could get a club like BARC going and everyone pitch in for building a driver's stand, track maintenance, and pay an RD. I know of 3 Scoring Pro licenses and loops not used in the winter. We could hopefully set it up to start up as Dave's ends and end when Dave's begins in the Spring.

Any thoughts?

Troy Mckune

Last edited by Troy Mckune; 09-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I could help out and call some races if this happens.....
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Last time I spoke to the facilities manager at Alpenrose (they're a client of mine), they were game to host a track on their Beaverton property. I'm not sure what they have as far as a covered area for the winter, but they've got plenty of space for an outdoor track. This was the same chunk of land that Tammie's used to operate a track. Use of the land was free - I think the tough part was finding people to show up consistently for work parties. May be worth a try.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We could always ask Mark at TZ to rip out the carpet !!

Nay way buddy boy....................

Last edited by Victor Vector; 09-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
Bite Your Tongue !!

Also if there is a way to keep PRCR open for another 5-6 months (like Amain) let us now.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
Rose City RC at 142nd and Stark,
Hey I raced there to in like 1989 or 90.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am in for whatever we can come up with!! 2 hours to Tacoma is a long way to go every week!
Troy, check your pm's....
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
Tisk, tisk Jacko!

Noooooooooooo!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

I wonder if Clark County Fairgrounds has a spot? Anybody have any hookups there?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Alpenrose is a great spot, they have a bunch of fair type buildings, just not sure if any are big enough to hold a track. Midget sized banked oval cart track on site as well.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All I know is what a bummer it is that we are losing this track. For the first time in 9 years my company posted a job on dayshift yesterday and I bid on it as that would have opened up racing during the week for me go figure
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

I like the Alpenrose idea as well. They are really supportive of multiple community events -- I race cyclocross there every Fall and it's a great venue. I certainly would help build a track there if we can do it under a roof and have some commitment that the track will be around for a while if we put the time in to build it. Having a place to race that doesn't have a lease certainly has its advantages.

If not Alpenrose then I would like to see Hillsboro Fairgrounds happen.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I give Jim, Kim, and Shaun a bunch of credit. It's hard to run and operate a business in this economy and they really did what they could to give everyone a safe and fun place to race. I know people whine and complain about this, that, and the other, but at least we had a dry place to race in the winter, and I thank them for that. Dani and I always looked forward to getting to the track and spending the day racing with our friends.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

I really hope it doesn't come to this but I am starting to consider on road for the winter if we don't have a place to race offroad.
Is anybody else considering this as well? What classes are popular at Timezone? The VTA class looks really interesting to me....
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i wish we had a team of racers that could get together and provide 8th scale on/off road , 10th scale offroad outdoor in summer and indoor winter for at least 10th scale , man would that be nice .

i would love to do it but i realllllly do not have the time to sacrifice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.