Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet Offroad @ Hangar 30/Seattle RC Racers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Carpet Offroad @ Hangar 30/Seattle RC Racers

The idea is picking up steam, so I'll start this thread with Todd's most recent input.

Please use this thread for constructive ideas, input, criticism, and pictures of attractive ladies. Just kidding. Let's get this going! Ideas on portable jumps are MOST welcome!

What classes would y'all like to see happen?

"There has been an offline conversation on the subject of an offroad carpet track at H30. I think it's perfectly okay to "officially" bring it out in the open. I can provide a brief sketch of how it might work under the auspices of the Seattle RC Racers, if that is the route those interested choose to take.

1. Assuming a program roughly parallel to the current onroad effort, I can tell you there is virtually no regular open time in the main hangar on weeknights. Weekends are also very hit and miss. However, the "shop," the smaller open area to the east is definitely available. I have already pinged the Parks office on the subject, and they are open to our running something in there. Small is relative to the cavernous main hangar. A nice carpet track could definitely go in the shop, with dimensions of approximately 36' by 70' give or take. Leaving room for some pit area and drivers stand. It's not as turnkey as the hangar as far as arranging the space, but it's heated! Perhaps an acceptable trade-off.

2. Convenient storage has been so very key to our success in the main hangar. There is simply is no additional room in our current room for a second track. However, I have checked and had it provisionally approved, a storage shed in the north parking lot not to exceed 400 sq. ft. is an option. It wouldn't have to be terribly fancy, but it would need to be reasonably secure, watertight, and not an eyesore. A shipping container is, unfortunately, not an option. I should think 400 sq. ft. is well in excess of what you would need. You would probably want 16ft. on one side, at least, for reasonably convenient storage of carpet.

3. The club can cover the necessary insurance under our current certificiate.

4. I can handle the scheduling.

5. The current carpet may or may not be available for the purpose. The Hangar 2 soccer turf is worth considering. That said, we're talking offroad, so I should think any old industrial rug would do the trick. There may be some available for free somewhere if anyone wants to sniff it out.

6. Personally, I can commit some time and effort. As for the club's financial resources, we will have to make the call in a club meeting. We have one coming up in March, not too far away.

If there is genuinely enough interest, I think it would be an interesting addition to the club's overall program. That said, a lot would have to be worked out, and due consideration given to the current racing ecosystem in the greater area if it were to happen through this club.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would come...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I have an interest in this but my question is, would we limit the motor choices and the vehicle class choices until we get enough of a strong membership to build the program. It would seriously suck for us to buy something and have two entries in 2wd and 4 entries in truck and 3 more in SC10 or whatever that called. Can we pull this off with enough people who can limit ourselves and without getting the entries spread all over the place.

I am an on roader first, but I have done offroad in the past. But for this to work for me I hope that everybody can find a common ground, at least at first so this does not lose steam right off the bat.

Your thoughts.

Steve
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Legend

Steve , what good would it be to limit motor's ?

If anything you should allow anyone with any motor to race just to improve attendance ...

Open SCT would help you guys out quite a bit as this is how most facility's are already running their programs....
Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Steve , what good would it be to limit motor's ?

If anything you should allow anyone with any motor to race just to improve attendance ...

Open SCT would help you guys out quite a bit as this is how most facility's are already running their programs....
Geo,

It was just a question, we first need to have an idea of how many people we have to see if this makes sense.

BTW, let me be the first to Ban you from the Hangar!!!!!

Just kidding Geo, seriously this is just starting, don't cause issues for us. We are plenty far away from TRCR to do Scotty any harm, also we would be running on Carpet on top of cement. If this grows however, we may actually help Scott's business in the future.

Steve P.S. Go Hawks!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=corallyman;8507624]Geo,

BTW, let me be the first to Ban you from the Hangar!!!!!]QUOTE

Only suggesting what has been working for the other programs ....

Sc is still new and has a mix of racers ..

Make for the best way to make it so all can race together , later this year I am hoping to see a lot more experience racers joining the class...

P.S. Go Jets !!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

this is cool now i have an excuse to get another buggy. open sct would definately attract more people as well as spec sct. and 2wd buggy .
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
I have an interest in this but my question is, would we limit the motor choices and the vehicle class choices until we get enough of a strong membership to build the program. It would seriously suck for us to buy something and have two entries in 2wd and 4 entries in truck and 3 more in SC10 or whatever that called. Can we pull this off with enough people who can limit ourselves and without getting the entries spread all over the place.

I am an on roader first, but I have done offroad in the past. But for this to work for me I hope that everybody can find a common ground, at least at first so this does not lose steam right off the bat.

Your thoughts.

Steve
Personally I would run it as a spec class...13.5 motor, panther tires (or like). Maybe run truck and buggy together, unless there are 5+ in each class. For SC I would just make it run what ya brung if any show up.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

This would be an interesting fit for me in the winters...As many know...I am not a fan of carpet touring car racing, but this has the look and feel of alot of fun. I know alot of EGTC TORC (Short Course) Truck guys that would probably be into this as well.

Idea for the jumps...Cardboard. Appliance box thickness fairly light and free materials, except for the glue! Road Domes or corner dots for a mougle section. Roll bar padding under the carpet for a woop section...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default Jumps

Pretty sure the jumps they use at RCPLUS are just 1/4 or 3/8 plywood and you could easily make 7 2'X4' jumps out of two sheets, with just three stringers, one on each end and one in the middle for under 50 bucks.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

I like the idea of limited classes to begin with. Maybe 17.5/13.5 buggy/truck and 13.5 SCT to begin...I could be wrong, but the space might be a bit tight for serious mod racing. Although I have to agree with Geo (gasp!) that initially running open might attract the majority of racers.

Run the bugs and trucks together until enough show for individual classes.

There was talk in the past of using old fire hose or LARGE rope for track barriers onroad, which might not work well. But it might do really well for offroad.

Keep the brainstorming going!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

wouldn't it make the most sense to see how big the track actually turns out to be and what it is made of before deciding on what to run. what is so wrong with 17.5 no boost truck and buggy as a start and then go from there. or 17.5 sct. I have proven AT TRCR, that a 17.5 SCT can keep up with and beat a 8.5 SCT. there is no reason to over power the track, that will only bring frustration and possible damage to the track. ok so someone MIGHT have to buy a 17.5, yea so what. Todd has proven that going with what is run everywhere isn't always the best way to go. and lets be honest, before someone brings it up, how hard is it to swap out a motor, its not, so lets not go with the I don't want to have to change motors just to run... arguement.

keep it simple, don't over build it, don't over think it, don't try to please everyone, (esp those that aren't coming anyway). success will be yours.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Ritchie, whatever happened to that sweet location you guys had a line on? Why not throw a little clay in there for some offroad action...
Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Its still there and being worked on/out. I don't see any clay in its future
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Disclaimer - I don't live in Seattle and will likely never race at this track, so feel free to ignore my opinion.

I agree that on most offroad tracks, for most drivers, a faster motor does not make your lap times any faster, or offer any significant advantage.

I disagree with the statement that allowing faster motors "will only bring frustration and possible damage to the track"

However, I do feel that forcing people to run a certain motor does sometimes bring frustration.

So why not let people just run whatever motor they want? Since faster motors don't help, no one has an advantage. And since everyone can run any motor they want it will certainly be the easiest for everyone to fit the rules. Although switching a motor isn't that big of a deal, it can be a factor if someone is on the fence between coming and not coming.

Rules - 2wd SC - any short course truck, any motor
Other 2wd - any 2wd buggy or truck allowed, any motor.
That's it.

If you suspect there will be "tire wars" make a spec tire.

You can't get any simpler than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.