BARC RC Club Oval Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MikeH
Diane - Here is the link for the side dam:

http://www.speedysracingparts.com/Bodies.htm

Scroll down the page to the Mustang 1020 Side dam Wing Kit $12.95
Diane, I might have that wing kit if not I have some lexan and Don can make you one.

Dave
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the link, Mike. And, Dave, I may take you up on that Lexan offer. Thank you. I know that Don Skaggs made his own, but I never got a good look at it. He has told me that if us regular stadium trucks ever got in a class without the midgets and sliders, that he might remove it as it was an unfair advantage against the other "stock" stadium trucks. Mike likes the air dam also, so I assume there is some advantage.

I had hoped to race yesterday, but when I got home Saturday night, I noticed that one of the receiver wires to my Tekin was frayed badly and there were bare wires sticking out the top. I didn't want to compromise the speed control, so I didn't come Sunday. This is the only ESC I have now, so I have to baby it. I called Tekin today to see if I could solder a new lead that has thicker wires as I can't find anything with thin wires. With these new "computer" ESCs, I was afraid to just assume that it would be okay and not cause any trouble. I was finally able to get ahold of someone at Tekin (Randy Pike) and he told me that it would be fine to mix the thin with thick wire, so I soldered the new lead and I'm ready to roll now. He also gave me info re the 5.5 Novak motor with my Tekin ESC and says it should work fine but that I had to have ESC set up for it, which would include having it on Dual mode. Not sure I can change that manually. I think Greg put it on sensored mode through his computer, and I wonder if changing it to Dual mode would make it less responsive to my other lesser motors. I'll have to check it out further. He definitely said not to use ANY setups from the 10.5 for the 5.5, which I already knew. So maybe that Novak you were talking a about would have worked with your Tekin had it been in Dual mode. Just a guess.

Diane
Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
Thanks for the link, Mike. And, Dave, I may take you up on that Lexan offer. Thank you. I know that Don Skaggs made his own, but I never got a good look at it. He has told me that if us regular stadium trucks ever got in a class without the midgets and sliders, that he might remove it as it was an unfair advantage against the other "stock" stadium trucks. Mike likes the air dam also, so I assume there is some advantage.

I had hoped to race yesterday, but when I got home Saturday night, I noticed that one of the receiver wires to my Tekin was frayed badly and there were bare wires sticking out the top. I didn't want to compromise the speed control, so I didn't come Sunday. This is the only ESC I have now, so I have to baby it. I called Tekin today to see if I could solder a new lead that has thicker wires as I can't find anything with thin wires. With these new "computer" ESCs, I was afraid to just assume that it would be okay and not cause any trouble. I was finally able to get ahold of someone at Tekin (Randy Pike) and he told me that it would be fine to mix the thin with thick wire, so I soldered the new lead and I'm ready to roll now. He also gave me info re the 5.5 Novak motor with my Tekin ESC and says it should work fine but that I had to have ESC set up for it, which would include having it on Dual mode. Not sure I can change that manually. I think Greg put it on sensored mode through his computer, and I wonder if changing it to Dual mode would make it less responsive to my other lesser motors. I'll have to check it out further. He definitely said not to use ANY setups from the 10.5 for the 5.5, which I already knew. So maybe that Novak you were talking a about would have worked with your Tekin had it been in Dual mode. Just a guess.

Diane
you should be able to run it in sensored mode just fine, as long as your timeing advance and RPM settings are tuned for your motor. Dual mode will run slower, and won't be able to take advantage of the timing ramp.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wolfman864
you should be able to run it in sensored mode just fine, as long as your timeing advance and RPM settings are tuned for your motor. Dual mode will run slower, and won't be able to take advantage of the timing ramp.
Thanks, Wolfman. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to use that motor as I can't make the kind of changes you are referring to. I have to use the manual controls on the ESC only as I have no laptop of hotwire, and even if someone changed them for me on their laptop, then I would be stuck with those settings for all my other motors. It looks like the RS Pro has to be put on that hotwire a lot in order to program it to each motor. I wish Tekin had made the ESC a little more universal without having to have a computer to take the best advantage of it. When I get to the point where I can send my GTB to Novak and replace it, then I will try that 5.5L again. For now, Tekin is it . Don't get me wrong, the Tekin is a nice ESC, and I am keeping it, but it is not as universal as I would like. I look forward to when I can get another GTB for my oval car so I can use that 5.5L. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
Thanks, Wolfman. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to use that motor as I can't make the kind of changes you are referring to. I have to use the manual controls on the ESC only as I have no laptop of hotwire, and even if someone changed them for me on their laptop, then I would be stuck with those settings for all my other motors. It looks like the RS Pro has to be put on that hotwire a lot in order to program it to each motor. I wish Tekin had made the ESC a little more universal without having to have a computer to take the best advantage of it. When I get to the point where I can send my GTB to Novak and replace it, then I will try that 5.5L again. For now, Tekin is it . Don't get me wrong, the Tekin is a nice ESC, and I am keeping it, but it is not as universal as I would like. I look forward to when I can get another GTB for my oval car so I can use that 5.5L. Thanks for the advice!
if your still running the original version 180, you should be fine with manual adjustments
Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Thumbs up “OUTLAW SPRINT”

Originally Posted by dirteater
www.dirtoval.com

This the rule package we will be using for our sprint and late model cars.
The guys at custom works and others came up with this rule package to try and standardize across the nation. If you are building or converting a car for the oval that is a sprint or late model you can check out the rules. They also have forums there for help.

More parts ordered and I have 1 more kit with no name on it.

Custom works drivers

Dave E.
Chris H.
Todd M.
Smoking Joe- after a lucky streak at the tavern, he is half way there.

Dave

So are we going too run a “OUTLAW SPRINT” class now with the custom works, and losi sprint cars ONLY, I think I hard you say something about doing that?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MOTOJOE
So are we going too run a “OUTLAW SPRINT” class now with the custom works, and losi sprint cars ONLY, I think I hard you say something about doing that?
Not quite there yet, but that is the plan.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wolfman,
I am running version 200. Originally it came with a lesser version and was horrible. When Greg downloaded the most current version at the time (200), he said that the deadband was set from the factory at 75% - making the throttle response awful. Once he downloaded the 203 software and changed that deadband setting to 15%, it was much better.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Default Saturday Nite Oval Racing

Small crew but we still had fun.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (24.3 KB, 223 views)
Round2.txt (24.3 KB, 199 views)
Round3.txt (23.5 KB, 222 views)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Small crew but we still had fun.
oh man....I thought that we weren't racin oval tonight because of the big race
Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wolfman864
oh man....I thought that we weren't racin oval tonight because of the big race
We should have just gone to bed. I am so tired.

Dave
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Oval points race Saturday at 5pm.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Going to miss you Chris H. good luck this weekend.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Going to miss you Chris H. good luck this weekend.
thanks dave... i will make sure to show the rig off and wear the shirt.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Default Saturday Nite Oval Pts Race Results

HOT! HOT! HOT! But it did cool down a couple degrees and by the end of the nite it was not to bad.

We are down to only two classes - Mod Elec and Stk SC

I posted the points but remember they may not be correct - Lance said he would work on getting them straigtened out.

Thanks again for coming out - Without you few oval racers we may not have this much fun.

Untill Next Time......
Attached Files
Round1.txt (13.4 KB, 223 views)
Round2.txt (14.4 KB, 220 views)
Round3.txt (39.5 KB, 224 views)
File Type: pdf
7.24.10.pdf (49.0 KB, 215 views)
File Type: pdf
Oval Points Rnd 5-7.24.10.pdf (39.5 KB, 208 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.