Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hydrogen RC Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hydrogen RC Car

Figured you guys would find this interesting. The thing looks pretty sick!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/25/h...s-now-shippin/

45 MPH for an hour straight it claims.

From their website, http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/store/hcell.htm

We are proud to present Horizon's new 2009 version of the"H-cell" hydrogen fuel cell hybrid power-train for 1/10 scale model hobby RC, designed around the award-winning TAMIYA TRF-416 carbon fiber chassis kit.

This machine will offer much higher performance, as well as a home refueling station option able to refill its solid hydrogen tanks automatically. The home refueling station to be released in July will create the possibility for users extract hydrogen from water and stored automatically for storage in solid form using small battery-shaped devices called HydroSTIK. The HydroFILL can connect to optional solar panels or wind-turbines to produce 100% renewable fuel.

Two HydroSTIKs each carrying about 15Wh of energy or 13L of hydrogen are integrated to the fuel cell electric power-train on either side of the chassis, enhancing weight distribution on board the car.

The TRF-416 chassis from Tamiya comes as an assembly kit and does not include wheels, brushless motor, speed controller, servo-motor, receiver and transmitter - all of which can be found at your local hobby shop.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

45 MPH for an hour straight it claims.
Not really (Please reread the spec's)

BTW our RC LiPo's are about 37wh (7.4V * 5000mah)
2*15wh = 30wh @7.4v AVG. 8.4 V with LiPo battery.
These Fuel Cells still require a 2 cell LiPo or LiFePo4 battery for Hight current loads. These are HyBrid Fuel cells (require external power source to store power during braking or hard acceleration) see pic 1 and you can see the LiPo ballance connector coming up with the power leads, too bad they dont show the cars right side. But the battery is there.

Still cool But still Not RC Race ready just Yet
Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, certainly not ready yet, but with time who knows. =)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skruger
Not really (Please reread the spec's)

BTW our RC LiPo's are about 37wh (7.4V * 5000mah)
2*15wh = 30wh @7.4v AVG. 8.4 V with LiPo battery.
These Fuel Cells still require a 2 cell LiPo or LiFePo4 battery for Hight current loads. These are HyBrid Fuel cells (require external power source to store power during braking or hard acceleration) see pic 1 and you can see the LiPo ballance connector coming up with the power leads, too bad they dont show the cars right side. But the battery is there.

Still cool But still Not RC Race ready just Yet

I see these pop up on the forums every once in a while. It's a neat technology and good for a Toys-R-Us type car, but will not make it to the racing side of things for quite a while. Fuel cells just don't put out the power that RC cars need, they are fine for very small scale applications, but even NASA has to suplement their power for just about anything bigger than a flashlight.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

I bet that huge contraption would make the car handle a lot better.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It can't compete with traditional RC cars through the turns because it's bulky but if you read all the literature, it looks like they're trying to market it as a new class for a different type of race... It would be like an "alternate fuel" class and the races could go on for much longer.

I wrote them an email asking for more details, mainly I was curious about cost. Of course they didn't tell me the cost but said that if I wanted, he could send me an order form that would have the costs on it, so I said "yes, please send me an order form" and I haven't heard back yet.