Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree651Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

I have had good traction with the calibers (m3's). Something similar with small knobs would work well too, like the buggy in the above pics a couple of posts back. When the track in wet or moist, more options will work. When the track is bone dry and dusty, the smaller/ softer knobs seem to get good traction.

Also, with the calibers, at least for me. I would get 10 runs(packs) one way, then flip them side to side, then maybe 10 more the other way. At that point they were done for me. The performance drops way off as the sharp corners of the nubs round out. They kinda look OK but will not preform the same. I can see it and feel it when running my b4.

When I set my car up, I make a few runs up and down the street on pavement. I make sure the balance left to right steering is correct. That is feels and track about the same left to right. Set straight line trim. I look closely at the camber angle of the rear tires as the car zooms down the street away from me. The contact patch should be in the middle of the tire.
You can do this on the bench, but I see more with the car under load and braking and bouncing. The less contact patch you have the less traction you will get. Getting the car to work correctly on pavement as a test procedure will save of time trying to work this out on varying dirt conditions.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LDOstrem
Has anyone formed any strong opinions on what tires work well out here? i had my slash 4x4 with the Kumho Road Venture tires i got with it and they werent working out to well.

Someone on here mentioned Calibers If I remember right. My buddy was running the bar codes he uses at TRCR and they were doing well for him.
Bracket ran his Gladiators on there and they worked really well. I tried a set of Holeshots and they were ok, but I ordered a set of Panther Boas to try next. When the track is dry it gets pretty sandy still, but when it's wet it's really muddy. So, something with pins that can dig down, but also fling off mud if necessary. Alternatively, two sets of tires, one for each condition

I'll let you know how my Boas work.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wonder if it could be possible to make our own sifter for the next dirt pile we get. Using a wood frame about 4ft across. Hooked up to the compactor or another engine that would super vibrate. And smalier mesh chicken wire.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know I am somewhat the minority here running 1/10 buggy but... A guy at the track last weekend said he has tried numerous tires on this track and the best he has found is J-Concepts Goosebumps. He was hooking up a hell of a lot more than the other 10 or so of us, this will be my next tire. I was totally blown away by how much better he was accelerating out of the corners like it was clay, yet the conditions were dry and really dusty.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Also, a good sweeping will help a lot. The dust layer is about half an inch thick in places.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have a new set (4) of short course double d's in green compound for sale. New in package for $40
pm if interested.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the track should be good traction after rain, will be there tomorrow morning w/ Goosebumps.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
Also, with the calibers, at least for me. I would get 10 runs(packs) one way, then flip them side to side, then maybe 10 more the other way. At that point they were done for me. The performance drops way off as the sharp corners of the nubs round out. They kinda look OK but will not preform the same. I can see it and feel it when running my b4.
I dont care if calibers lose their traction after ten packs. I don't know the difference and mine still look good to me

Originally Posted by RC-Crazy
the track should be good traction after rain, will be there tomorrow morning w/ Goosebumps.
Im too poor for tires, but I still have some on my slash, and plan on being there in the morning as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Do you guys know when you want to carpet the jumps? From what I could tell last week, that is going to be the only way you won't be rebuilding the track really really often. I know the last track I went to that had carpet over the jumps, they used large tent stakes to hold the carpet in place (private track). It worked, but not great. That seems really open to vandalism too, not sure what would be best for that.

It would be fun to come out and help with this, I just wasn't sure when or if you guys were planning on throwing carpet down.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Soon, hopefully. I know the carpet has been acquired, just waiting for some time to lay it down. I will let Todd chime in but this weekend would be a great opportunity since the track is soaked right now. Weather is suppose to dry out starting Thursday. The clay is proving to be a real mess once it gets a little wet, it just turns to mush. I spent a couple hours yesterday digging some drains to help run-off and put in a drain on the back side. The newly set berms and jumps were very soft, even mushy. We do need to get the carpet set or like you said the jumps will be chewed up and reduced to speed bumps. Once the clay dries out your can't do much with it until it get good and wet again.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Well, let's get something scheduled and get the carpet down! The track is pretty great already, but we can definitely make it better.

My Hobbywing powered Stampede did pretty well out there a few weekends ago, but I decided to kick it up a notch. Better tires, shocks and springs, and a more streamlined look... say hello to the Jang-inspired Trupede!

Haven't taken it out there yet, but hopefully will this weekend. Maybe that's why the surface keeps getting eroded
Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Looks nice! New treads and lost the wheelie bar too!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just got off the phone with Don and he's going to see if the parks dept. is able to move the carpet to the track tomorrow. If that happens we hope to get the carpet cut and laid out and secured over the jumps this weekend. As with all the previous work the more hands helping the faster we can get it done and running trucks. The weather is really suppose to heat up and I want to get the carpet down before the jumps gets chewed up any more.

If we are not able to get it delivered tomorrow then maybe Monday. I'll post to let people know.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looks like it will be next week before we get the carpet down. That said the track is in great shape. Cleaned up some of the jumps from the monsoon's earlier this week. Hopefully we will have the carpet on site Monday.
Just a word to those heading to the track this weekend. Mid day under the driver stand is HOT. The sun beats down on that concrete and really gets hot. Bring lots of water is all I can say.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott711
Looks like it will be next week before we get the carpet down. That said the track is in great shape. Cleaned up some of the jumps from the monsoon's earlier this week. Hopefully we will have the carpet on site Monday.
Just a word to those heading to the track this weekend. Mid day under the driver stand is HOT. The sun beats down on that concrete and really gets hot. Bring lots of water is all I can say.
And suntan lotion. Maybe earplugs if jet turbines get your ears ringing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.