Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center >

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Like Tree801Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Old 05-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you for sharing that, Brian. It is good to have these stories written down so we remember. There is such a strong history of R/C racing in the northwest.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Sorry for the loss Brian...

On a 1/12 note... on a bigger layout would you go bigger or smaller on the roll out? Ran my 1/12 around BRCR and it was awesome and remember 1/12 and WGT back at FW... good times.... still think some 2S WGT would be fun too.. might see a Cluck appearance... then again...
Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
I am at a loss for a place to post this, but since I know most of you...

This past Saturday, we lost a RC Pioneer to complications of Leukemia; Dave Steen. I went to high school with Dave's sons. Through conversations I had with them, I found out Dave was big into rc. Dave was one of the early members of Sarcar in the mid 70's. My interest really would peek listening to stories of the nitro cars he raced in that era. I graduated and headed off to college, but I couldn't shake the rc bug. I found myself with a Tamiya Frog and sought out a local track while in between my studies. When I returned home, I was clearly claimed by rc addiction. I found the off road track in Lynnwood on 212th and 99. Dave and his son Ron were racing at the time. Little did I know, I met many future friends at that corner dirt lot track. Ron had a Tamiya Fast Attack that looked like a military buggy. It had a plastic machine gun that would fall off during a heat. We'd comb the track looking for the machine gun afterwards to see who could find it first.

Dave competed at the TEAROR 1/12th scale club in Tacoma which was a roll up/tear down carpet track in the soccer center at the time. Dave was finishing a career at Bill's Auto and needed to fill some of his spare time. Opening a carpet track on the north end sounded like a reasonable idea. Dave opened the doors of Raceway Hobbies down at the waterfront of Edmonds, I want to say late '87. It was instantly a hit. Raceway was not only a place to race, it was a place bench race or just hang out. Dave had a very relaxed attitude running the shop. Often times you'd catch him reading a paperback. Truth be told, it was his wife Georgia that likely kept the seams from unraveling. Dave could get anything you wanted, it just took a little time. Everything was hand written, but it was dependable. Dave did not compete very much, he just loved the activity of rc around him. He loved the social aspect of rc. As Georgia approached retirement, he felt it was time to give up the track and travel. I was so taken by what Dave had built, I just could let his creation fade away. I purchased Raceway Hobbies from Dave on April 1st 1995. Dave and Georgia hopped in their RV and traveled up and down the coast. They fell in love with Yuma Az. They would spend winter months in Az and then would travel back to the NW to visit and to help Georgia's mom run a gift shop out at Westport. I last bumped into Dave at Timezone taking in a gas race a couple years ago. He looked great. Really happy.

Thank you Dave Steen for providing me with a wonderful hobby and the friendships that go with it.

Brian Bodine
I remember Dave as Brian described. Thank you for the nice description of your memories. I enjoyed racing with him and was a friend that I won't forget from my early days of racing. He will be missed.

-a
Old 05-10-2016, 10:46 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Sorry for the loss Brian...

On a 1/12 note... on a bigger layout would you go bigger or smaller on the roll out? Ran my 1/12 around BRCR and it was awesome and remember 1/12 and WGT back at FW... good times.... still think some 2S WGT would be fun too.. might see a Cluck appearance... then again...
Hmmm
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Big track or small track, it's all about maintaining corner speed with Stock 1/12th. If you can set your car up, and drive it, to carry speed through the corners, then yes, throw a couple teeth at it and let it gallop. But, if you're dying in the infield, a half second of top fuel speed at the end of the straight isn't going to help much; in that case, keep your gearing in standard range to give it some giddyup out of the hole.

I'm quite interested to run 1/12th at our beautiful new track.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Let's do it!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

anybody going out to play on saturday?
Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm out this weekend. Have some other things I need to take care of (work...)

-Korey
Old 05-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
I am at a loss for a place to post this, but since I know most of you...

This past Saturday, we lost a RC Pioneer to complications of Leukemia; Dave Steen. I went to high school with Dave's sons. Through conversations I had with them, I found out Dave was big into rc. Dave was one of the early members of Sarcar in the mid 70's. My interest really would peek listening to stories of the nitro cars he raced in that era. I graduated and headed off to college, but I couldn't shake the rc bug. I found myself with a Tamiya Frog and sought out a local track while in between my studies. When I returned home, I was clearly claimed by rc addiction. I found the off road track in Lynnwood on 212th and 99. Dave and his son Ron were racing at the time. Little did I know, I met many future friends at that corner dirt lot track. Ron had a Tamiya Fast Attack that looked like a military buggy. It had a plastic machine gun that would fall off during a heat. We'd comb the track looking for the machine gun afterwards to see who could find it first.

Dave competed at the TEAROR 1/12th scale club in Tacoma which was a roll up/tear down carpet track in the soccer center at the time. Dave was finishing a career at Bill's Auto and needed to fill some of his spare time. Opening a carpet track on the north end sounded like a reasonable idea. Dave opened the doors of Raceway Hobbies down at the waterfront of Edmonds, I want to say late '87. It was instantly a hit. Raceway was not only a place to race, it was a place bench race or just hang out. Dave had a very relaxed attitude running the shop. Often times you'd catch him reading a paperback. Truth be told, it was his wife Georgia that likely kept the seams from unraveling. Dave could get anything you wanted, it just took a little time. Everything was hand written, but it was dependable. Dave did not compete very much, he just loved the activity of rc around him. He loved the social aspect of rc. As Georgia approached retirement, he felt it was time to give up the track and travel. I was so taken by what Dave had built, I just could let his creation fade away. I purchased Raceway Hobbies from Dave on April 1st 1995. Dave and Georgia hopped in their RV and traveled up and down the coast. They fell in love with Yuma Az. They would spend winter months in Az and then would travel back to the NW to visit and to help Georgia's mom run a gift shop out at Westport. I last bumped into Dave at Timezone taking in a gas race a couple years ago. He looked great. Really happy.

Thank you Dave Steen for providing me with a wonderful hobby and the friendships that go with it.

Brian Bodine
Thank you for sharing this Brian, I have nothing but good memories of Dave and he will be missed.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

A quick update as I know it may seem like things have gone dead for a couple weeks here, but I assure you that feverish activity goes on off stage.

1. I had to secure a new permit for importing dirt for the back side of the track. The original permit had expired, and it did not include importing as much as I am bringing now anyway. A bit of a pain but it had the upside effect of advancing relations with the new leadership of the parks department and parks operations. There has basically been a complete turnover this past year, and all old relationships which had been productive have had to be formed with fresh people.

But not to fear, we are in good shape, a new permit is in hand with the gracious assistance of the new director, and trucks are rolling again. We will have a nice smooth slope off the back side with ample room for a grassy paddock all along the south and west sides when we are done. And all for free

2. We have settled on a corner apex solution using a thermoplastic product that gives an excellent visual impression, provides a subtle yet effective rumble strip effect, does not impede drainage off the slab, and is easy on cars. It will combine the classic red/white stripe with new school technology that I predict will give other tracks in the country and around the world something to think about when considering their own features.

Credit must go to the Danilchik brothers for advancing this excellent idea.

It squeezes the schedule, which I was resistant to, but for a long term investment, it is worth the risk. It has been tested and proved out well.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I tested that rumble strip material. It is very very good. I like it a lot. Unsettles your car with no ill effects like rolling over. Should keep our cars in good health but still have it's desired effect if you cut the corner too much.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
17.5 no boost for stock classes.... 21.5 for scale spec .... and butt puckering 4.0 for mod....
Attachment 1367179

Last edited by gwhiz; 09-23-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default :-)

Originally Posted by gwhiz
so cute.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm brand new and jumping in here.

Is the SeaTac onroad track in a place where I can jump out there and run my car? I recently got my first onroad car and am dying for more track time! The Galaxy Hobby schedule is just too few and far between.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

The answer to your question is yes. The SeaTac track is or will be permanent. Right now it's just a black slab with a makeshift track layed out. It still has lots of work that needs to be compleated before it's finished. It is in a great outdoor location with lots of parking. No computer or power yet but if you just want to do laps & practice driving that's where I would go. If I lived closer that is......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.