Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center >

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Like Tree764Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

The track is just about set for the summer, I still need to get out and bury the leading and trailing edges of the turf along the back straight away double, (maybe Sunday morning). Also we will have a work party some time soon to fix up the table top. We want to square up and give more support to the sides and back fill it with what little dirt we can gather from around the site. That will help widen the top and maybe give it a little more lift. Once that's done we can bury in both ends of the carpet covering it and call it good for a while. Hope everyone is enjoying the track. I know I've enjoyed it especially meeting all the new people over there.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I got jugs of water filling the freezer now. The particular day I didnt have any water started out with a bubble on my front tire right off the freeway, Spent my last 38 dollars on a new tire, and I didnt have any money left for a water. (ooor planning on my part) I still got a couple packs in though
Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is there any gas stations or anything around there?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
there's a convience store around the corner.
And, garden hose on site, Seattle tap water is save to drink.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC-Crazy
there's a convience store around the corner.
And, garden hose on site, Seattle tap water is save to drink.
There is a hose on site but the water is locked off. Don't need someone sabotaging the site. A few of us have keys to water down the track and try to keep the grass growing. At this point it is certainly a wise idea to bring enough water to keep yourself hydrated while your there.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I forgot to mention... yesterday (Friday) I spent a couple hours at the track with Tracy and a few other guys. There is a black drainage pipe buried under the track right after the double in the back, following the turn after the tabletop. Basically the upper right corner of the track, looking from the stand. Anyway, that drainage pipe was doing more harm than good. It was too high to actually drain water, and everyone kept hitting it and getting hung up on it coming off of the jumps. So, I hacked at it with a knife a bit and got hit down to track level, and actually level with the ground so it can drain water. Not the prettiest of jobs but it should work for now.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, there is a ... uhh.. 76, I think, right around the corner. Also a 7/11 further up the road if I recall correctly.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks to all that took on this endeavor! I got into RC cars in the 80s with my Frog (long gone) and upgraded to an Optima II in 1990 (stock except for a battery eliminating electronic speed control). About 3 months ago I pulled it out of mothballs (after 15 years) and charged up the old 1800ma 7 cells and VIOLA!! instant energy drainer for my four little kids! I chase them, they chase it! Anyway, I got so motivated I found a new Ultima DB in Germany and have been introduced to the awesome world of LiPos! Anyway, I may bring my DB by tonight to the seatac track with my kids to try it out... plan on training my 7 year old with the ultima II but I hear it's a collectors item now. Thanks again! Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

I gotta be prepared to know where to get my monsters! Lol
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

I gotta be prepared to know where to get my monsters! Lol
So I take it you haven't been to the track yet? It's really pretty sweet, bring something you don't mind getting super dusty and run it hard. It's a perfect 1/10th track, both 2WD and 4WD do great out there.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Haven't been there yet, only get to run a few times a month so I usually go race, I will come run my nitro buggy!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Haven't been there yet, only get to run a few times a month so I usually go race, I will come run my nitro buggy!
I hope your joking about the nitro buggy.
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Since I was on the sharp end of pushing the project through the city council, planning committees, permit office, budget committees, and general city buy-in, I will once more answer the question: "Why no nitro at Seatac?"

First, allow me to dismiss any insinuation or misheld belief that I, or the club, or club members are "anti-nitro." I will hazard to say that everyone who has helped with this track either owns or has owned a nitro vehicle. I have, and I had a great time with them. (And by the way, it was this Todd Mason, and not some other, who took time out of his race day to call the Nitro main at Fantasy World this weekend. Don't come fishing for an anti-nitro agenda here. There is none.)

Meetings with parks staff and council members before it ever got to council vote led to abandoning the nitro option. I will elaborate on just one of several scenes. It was a first or second meeting with a council subcommittee. (At this point, there was an intention to go out and take noise meter readings with a nitro vehicle to establish some quantifiable baseline for impact.) I grabbed an RC car from my bench to show the committee members who had no real notion of what we were proposing. It was an electric touring car. I passed the chassis around the table so they could see that these are considerably more sophisticated than the Radio Shack toys their grandkids get for Christmas. And, that the hobby merited an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars of city property and tens of thousands of dollars of staff time and materials. I give my spiel about clubs and community and cultivating mechanical competence and yadda yadda. The car comes back to me, and after the obligatory "how fast is it" and "how much does it cost," the "how loud is it" comes from Councilmember Jane. Thinking, "no problem," I connect the Deans, turn on the transmitter and car and give the throttle a squeeze. It spins up and she says, "that's kind of loud, isn't it?" I'm not sure what to say. (And there are eyerolls from a couple of others at the table. It's a smooth running belt drive electric touring car for chrissakes.)

So, Councilmember Jane's an idiot, yes? Well...Councilmember Jane, as it turned out, was inclined to support the track, particularly as it might provide a safe and fun activity for kids. And, because she would like to see something done at the site to clean it up (though hopefully we can do it without cutting down trees...) She had also googled "rc racing" prior to our meeting and back then, in 2010, just as it does now, up pops a whole bunch of nitro buggies. She doesn't want to hear from the little old ladies in the Horticulture Society who have their nice specimen garden behind the North Seatac Community Center less than 100 yards away from the track. Or the birdwatchers. Or the horseback riders. Or the neighbors. At the same time, Councilmember Joe (one of the eyerollers), doesn't particularly think we need a track, let alone for the city to pay for it. He would just as soon we bashed around in construction sites and empty parking lots wherever we can find them. He couldn't give two licks about the noise, though. But, Councilmember Jane is the committee chair, and Councilmember Joe will probably go along, particularly with prodding from the parks director. So, I say, "We'll design it for electric. Organize racing for electric. And get the word out that it's electric only. And kids. Lots and lots of kids." She had made her point. And that was two votes.

The city of Seatac has been a marvel when it comes to supporting the radio control hobbies. They built an electric flying park in the city. Noise was an issue there, too. Particularly as it is even more tightly situated among homes. Electric carried the day, or it certainly helped, anyway. For flyers and drivers, Seatac has been an amazing partner. With many, many hours of volunteer effort, many hours of parks staff time, a supportive parks director, and an agreeable city council, there are now RC venues smack in the heart of the metro area. We can run for free, whenever we like. So long as we recognize that we share the space with people who have absolutely no interest in doing what we are doing, but who can live with it so long as we are respectful of them, we will have these parks for a long time to come.

The North Seatac RC tracks are electric only. By design and by the Seattle RC Racers pledge to those who committed public land and public funds to build them.

(Here was the final yes from the Council. Noise was part of the discussion even by that point. Seatac City Council Meeting Minutes 9/28/2010. Bill #3244. Page 4 of 8.)

http://www.ci.seatac.wa.us/Modules/S...ocumentid=2376
Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blakktalon
I hope your joking about the nitro buggy.
Yeah I was kidding, not gonna be that guy
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mcgrad96
Thanks to all that took on this endeavor! I got into RC cars in the 80s with my Frog (long gone) and upgraded to an Optima II in 1990 (stock except for a battery eliminating electronic speed control). About 3 months ago I pulled it out of mothballs (after 15 years) and charged up the old 1800ma 7 cells and VIOLA!! instant energy drainer for my four little kids! I chase them, they chase it! Anyway, I got so motivated I found a new Ultima DB in Germany and have been introduced to the awesome world of LiPos! Anyway, I may bring my DB by tonight to the seatac track with my kids to try it out... plan on training my 7 year old with the ultima II but I hear it's a collectors item now. Thanks again! Jim
Sounds like you've got your hands full Jim, welcome back to the hobby. You'll find that it's as fun as ever and a great idea to get the kids involved. Not sure if you're aware but there is also a BMX track just down the street. They have races pretty much every weekend this time of year. You can get concessions and stuff at their track site when they are having events. Just a great area for the entire family. The RC park has a ways to go yet but with the support I've seen I think it will eventually be an amazing place for all types of RC vehicles.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Signs

The signs are up.

Thanks to Jesse Robertson at Hovercraft Media for hooking up the club for a very reasonable price on some good design and materials. They look sharp.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-seatac-offroad-sign.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.