Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center >

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Like Tree591Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Old 08-20-2023, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As reported above, we had ourselves a proper good time at Seatac RC Raceway yesterday. Bodine was there early and made sure we were racing on a clean surface - thank you, Brian! He was a little concerned at 9, thinking that things were thin and knowing we had a few regulars out for various reasons. I said to just give it a minute as it's summer and the livin' is easy. And for sure, by 10, we had a decent group forming up.

I think we have settled out on the core classes: USVTA, Stock TC, and Modified TC, which represents a healthy spread. We of course always welcome other classes, as it is important to accommodate a diversity of interests. It is equally important that racers know what to prepare for and spend their money on.

One of the things that happened and that has had me thinking since is a conversation I had with a gentleman who is showing interest to join us. He asked the good questions one would expect: "What are you racing? What should I get? Where do I start? How much should I be budgeting?" While I'm someone who has done this for more than a minute, I found myself frustrated with some of my own answers. "Stock Touring. This is an XRay. Yes this is a good car, but I hesitate to recommend it. What have you built before? Sweet, you started next door on the dirt but onroad looks more awesome. Offroad is great. You'll never hear me say otherwise because I don't think otherwise. But yea. Start with a touring car, Novice then USVTA is a good progression. Hobbytowns should have Tamiya kits, that's what I started with, TA05 from Redmond Hobbytown on ButtCannon's recommendation. (You steered me wisely, Tom. Thank you.) Otherwise, you're online. Yes, you can race a 4-Tec. No, no one does. It can cost as much as you want to spend. A little or a lot. Do you have tools already? Used is a good option. Or can be. I like to build a new kit, too."

Fortunately, Ritchie was also there and picked up the conversational thread. While I was earnestly trying to give him straight answers and good guidance, I found it surprisingly hard. Maybe because after all this time, an observation is that there's no easy way. What they see on track when they stop to watch is a product of countless hours invested over years. What do I recommend? 10,000 Hours. See you on the other side. But there's more than a little of the Smugness Trap in that perspective. Which is off-putting and counterproductive. Which I try to combat with earnestness and transparency while at the same time thinking there's no helping anyone, really. The ones who go on the journey and figure it out are the ones who stick.

Probably, I need to draft a recommended starter package and post it up. It helps, if only to give a general idea of what to look for.
bshookup, gwhiz, jo_er86 and 2 others like this.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cuz your a blur of speed gwhiz. Lol!
ty for the compliments. Was a bit nervious. Nerve racking to do. Lol, but we got it done. Was truly a great day racing. My 2nd bad weekend but still fun.
as far as a.good starter car. I looked at Xpress at1s and a 3racing Sakura I think. Both lower end kits and I lack the knowledge and years most of you have. Again ty for the great day all. See you at the track.
d
Old 08-21-2023, 01:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor changes

I get it on the switch to 21.5. The trend is occurring in offroad as well. Faster motors are causing a split in the classes, so that "STOCK" which was 13.5, is now 17.5 and offering "PRO STOCK" 13.5. They are doing this for 4wd and Stadium Truck and doing the 17.5 to 21.5 move in Stock 2wd.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey! Guys, This weekend 9/2 is apparently the last outdoor race of this season, Spread the Word.

Im not ready for indoor rug, But well that’s just how it goes, Sooo! Let’s go out in style!!!
bshookup, gwhiz and shudson like this.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Orange you glad...

Originally Posted by busman
Hey! Guys, This weekend 9/2 is apparently the last outdoor race of this season, Spread the Word.

Im not ready for indoor rug, But well thatís just how it goes, Sooo! Letís go out in style!!!

Old 08-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gwhiz
Oohhh! I Like!
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

hubba hubba. LOL
Is that your new ride gwhiz?
-d
Old 08-30-2023, 09:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all, thanks again for the warm welcome back on the 19th. It means a lot to me. Special thanks to Greg, Mike, Todd and few others for helping me get up to speed with the new hardware after so many years away from the hobby.

Looking forward to the last Saturday on asphalt this weekend. My goal on the 19th was to get a decent amount of clean track time and to try my best to not be a liability in the very competitive 21.5 class. No major incidents but I spun at the end of the back straight during the 21.5 A main and will dive deeper into what I think the issue might have been further down.

The track: brilliant and well maintained. A Washington State gem. On the "Beast Mode" layout I really like T2 and T3. This a textbook complex corner and great track design. Reminds me of The Druids corner at Oulton Park. Take a little off in T1 (Seatac) to link T2 and T3 in a single motion while exploring the outer track limits with throttle steer. Drop two wheels into the outside curb/green but push too hard and you will drive into the turtles, a perfect risk/reward corner.

Racers: very talented and helpful, just as I remember it always was.

The car: Ran the Mi8 CF kit setup which the team says is really good for low to med bite asphalt. Overall kit instructions were above average but I didn't read the warning about using too many shims on the rear diff and grooved/coned my flat washer. Seems like a common mistake as several users mentioned doing the same thing in the Mi8 facebook group. No big deal, I pulled the shims and ran the diff with some notchy-ness to it on Saturday. By the end of the day it was mostly smooth but its since been fully rebuilt with new parts.

Balance was okay through low speed corners but I noticed visible body roll at the end of the high speed front straight into T1. I think this is just because I didn't have the tools to setup per kit spec. Kit measures the droop from the bottom of the chassis to the center axel with a tool I did not have. I have an old Team Associated TC droop gauge that measures from the bottom of the chassis to the bottom of the knuckle. I went with a conservative 3mm but it may have been too much droop length considering I could easily upset the balance of the car coming off the back straight into the beginning of the S turn. If the tires were not clean or warm, snap oversteer was consistently exhibited without careful throttle. I set the rear droop to 4mm at the knuckle to start with and will further adjust during practice this Saturday. Overall I liked the suspension feel and response into, mid and exit on most corners, I just feel like the weight transfer was too extreme on some higher speed corners, usually before the S turn (back straight) or if I misjudged the T2/T3 complex corner with too much throttle steer and had to dump it.

I only spun at the end of the back straight once during the day and it just so happened during the 10 car A main. Not a good place to be for anyone as drivers were approaching fast. In sim racing (iRacing) it is generally advised to leave the spun out car in place and let the approaching traffic decipher what to do. Once traffic has passed the spun driver will make a safe and predictable re-join. Tough to do in RC racing to be honest, cars stopped on track are hard to see in the peripheral. In sim racing the spotter will call out slow cars coming up. This corner had the metal barrier preventing me from driving onto the island. Every situation in racing has a lot of variable but I thought in this situation it would have been impossible for the drivers on the back straight to safely negotiate around my car given the speeds of that corner or my position on the racing line. I noticed the approaching drivers were at about the beginning of the back straight so I gunned it and got my car to outside of the track. Heard a bit of contact/grumbling but I think the approaching drivers were able to get through without too much of an issue. What's a good protocol for this in RC racing? I think I have heard the commentator mention a stopped car on the (inside/outside) of the straight but would calling it out myself help in these specific situations (i.e. hey fellas, stopped on end of back straight)?

What I think happened:
Either I ran over a leaf which may have snapped the rear around or I hit that diff shim notch at exactly the wrong time. Also possible driver error on my part. Hard to say without tape review but I am looking into it. It is very important to me to be responsible for my actions on the track.

Tires:
Cold dirty tires most of the weekend. My sauce was on back order and didn't ship until this week. Things got real nice in the practice session before the mains. Track temp was up and the car seemed to be really hooking up. Picked up a TC tire warmer which should help with that as well.
busman and bshookup like this.

Last edited by shudson; 08-30-2023 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
hubba hubba. LOL
Is that your new ride gwhiz?
-d
Yes indeed. There will be no shortage of citrus tones!
skypilot and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shudson

I only spun at the end of the back straight once during the day and it just so happened during the 10 car A main. Not a good place to be for anyone as drivers were approaching fast. In sim racing (iRacing) it is generally advised to leave the spun out car in place and let the approaching traffic decipher what to do. Once traffic has passed the spun driver will make a safe and predictable re-join. Tough to do in RC racing to be honest, cars stopped on track are hard to see in the peripheral. In sim racing the spotter will call out slow cars coming up. This corner had the metal barrier preventing me from driving onto the island. Every situation in racing has a lot of variable but I thought in this situation it would have been impossible for the drivers on the back straight to safely negotiate around my car given the speeds of that corner or my position on the racing line. I noticed the approaching drivers were at about the beginning of the back straight so I gunned it and got my car to outside of the track. Heard a bit of contact/grumbling but I think the approaching drivers were able to get through without too much of an issue. What's a good protocol for this in RC racing? I think I have heard the commentator mention a stopped car on the (inside/outside) of the straight but would calling it out myself help in these specific situations (i.e. hey fellas, stopped on end of back straight)?
Welcome again back to the RC track. It looked like you were doing great! You are absolutely correct, calling out your own stranded car is the appreciated protocol. It's sometime hard to think and speak fast enough to warn others, but it's great to do when you can.

If you get lost on droop settings, a simple and effective way to measure it is to measure up travel over ride height. For example, my rear ride height is usually 5.4mm. I can lift the rear of my car off the setup table until the wheels begin to lift off the table, and stick the ride-height gauge under the rear of the car again to measure the up travel. If the gauage reads 7.4mm, then I have 2mm of up-travel. Between 2 and 3.5mm of up-travel on asphalt is a good general range. Less up-travel if you are spinning out off power. After measuring your up-travel with the ride height gauge, it is good to use your associated droop guage or calipers to make sure your droop is the same for both wheels. I have all the fancy droop gauges, but I check the up-travel every once in a while too to see if I'm still in the ballpark.

- Brian
busman and shudson like this.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool

shudson and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

A great track and a great group of racers. Thanks everyone.

Seatac Asphalt Season Finale - Sep. 2 2023
Old 09-03-2023, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Default 2023 Season Finale

We enjoyed a strong final day of the 2023 season at Seatac RC Raceway. Let me extend gratitude both personally and on behalf of the Seattle RC Racers for the support of our racers throughout.

Consistent with the idea that "You're not living if you're not learning," a couple things to observe and consider.

The stalwarts of a program are critical to its success. This borders on truism, but in practice there is nuance. The Comp Committe - itself comprised of stalwarts - hashed out the Super Stock TC spec before the season and decided to stick with 17.5, which has run reliably for years. One-third through the season we experienced rumblings of discontent regarding both USGT and Super Stock. Neither was really matching the enthusiasm of the racers who actually showed. USVTA rose, rendering USGT redundant for the "cool body racing" crowd. At the same time, USGT experienced a wave of discontent because of tire wear. And 17.5 Super Stock was no longer meeting the need for a true touring class that suited the non-pro veteran TC racers. So, our group of non-Comp Committee stalwarts asserted themselves and migrated the program to USVTA and 21.5 Stock TC after the Sizzler. And y'know, it worked. USVTA and 21.5 Stock both gathered steam and ran stronger through the balance of the season.

New racers are hard to come by and essential. But something to think through is that no one can do another's hard work for them. We all have to go on our journey to pick up a new sport or hobby, and there are precious few shortcuts. Every program, nationally or locally, has its unique character. The best we can do is to put the best version of ourselves forward and trust we will find our following. The Seattle RC Racers are a serious group of racers overall, which is not to say I think we're unwelcoming. But at no time is anyone giving anything away - no gifts to anyone! Allow me to be clear there is no comparison implied by that statement, simply that it's a description of our collective temperament as a club.

Based on this season's journey as a group, and where we arrived in the final races of our season, I think we're in good shape. We always need to be working to improve. But I think we have shown to the outside, and most importantly to ourselves, that we are capable of it.

Attached are the final season points.
Attached Files
gwhiz, shudson and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

https://youtu.be/pUHOOGn_xcU?si=dN41HuzOZZEhGQt0
stock 21.5 B-Mains

https://youtu.be/6JuVWLC_jIQ?si=RSTLVO6mYpTgJMmB
U.S. VTA/Trans am A-Mains 10 cars!

https://youtu.be/lYf7qc1MPTU?si=K7i2-gI0ytl9Q_s8
Stock touring 21.5 A-Mains

https://youtu.be/mpTroeK42mM?si=e52qP8cU5M3oFgud
Open mod A-Mains THE FAST GUYS

hopefully my future videos will be better...gonna try diffrent angles at diffrent tracks and zoom settings...ill hopefulyl get it together. Till than squint really hard at the tiny cars or use a large TV lol. Ty all for having me. See you at the track
d

hanulec and shudson like this.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

My daughter did the 2 summer sizzler videos. Why i didnt post em. Lol. Shaky and my daughters commentary...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.