Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center >

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Like Tree768Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Well thats good things are moving forward. Can't wait to see it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Holy driving surface(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay6XZ...layer_embedded
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like that!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Update and Offroad Track Design

The permit for clearing should be out Monday or Tuesday, with a bid request for tree removal to follow very shortly after. I will post it here, but it will also go out to the small jobs inventory maintained by all of the local municipalities.

We should get a flood of bids in short order. The chief of maintenance at the parks department is pretty confident that it will come back at roughly $10K, maybe less. King County has popped up and will take many of the larger root balls for anti-erosion work, and the remainder of the material will actually stay on site, most likely in the lot between us and the BMX track.

I am hopeful, even optimistic, that we will see a cleared site by mid to late July. Now, what will we have to work with? "Cleared" is not graded, or filled, and certainly not landscaped. That said, once cleared, I'm reasonably certain that the city will be willing to get back in there and do some basic dirt pushing. If we can hit that $10K figure for clearing, that will leave us with a few thousand dollars to spend on the offroad track and rock crawler area. While we won't know for certain what we're dealing with until the trees are gone, I find it unlikely that we will score a significant amount of fill, let alone fine grade dirt. We will probably have to use what is there. Personally, I don't find that a discouraging scenario.

I have been researching tracks the world over, and there is everything one can imagine. From southern blue groove outdoor clay to English turf, there is a group of RC crazies racing on it. For us, given our budget, the site, and the resources I've rounded up, and the skill and insights in our local community, I think a multi-surface track is a likely pick. I really like this one:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

For those who have visited Four Seasons in the past few months, or were down to TZ2 for ROAR Nationals, you've seen the soccer turf deployed at those two tracks . There is more--a lot more--where it came from. Turf resists wear in areas where that is crucial, particularly jump faces. For a park track, open to the public, durability will be a paramount criteria. Also, we should strike a balance with the layout. An 1/8th scale supercross track is great for those with mad skills, but a nightmare for a dad who has to constantly flip his 10-year-old son's Slash back onto its wheels. We are serving a broad constituency, not the least being the good citizens of SeaTac, who are investing in a fun place to take their kids on a summer day. That said, accessible doesn't have to mean boring. We can get it right for most.

Anyway, that's your rainy Saturday update.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Dirty work

Todd, Please get a hold of me when or if you need good clean fill dirt...I still have alot of contacts in the "Dirt" business from when I was Dump Trucking and may be able to get you good delivered free material.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default Bid Request

The bid request for tree removal is finally out. Bids are due by July 19 at 5pm. If you are an excavation contractor, or have family or friends who are, this is paying work. Our project is creating real jobs!

It has gone out to the King County small jobs inventory as well. Attached are the forms.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bid Packet 19July2011.pdf (105.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: pdf
Bid Map 19July2011.pdf (79.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
The bid request for tree removal is finally out. Bids are due by July 19 at 5pm. If you are an excavation contractor, or have family or friends who are, this is paying work. Our project is creating real jobs!

It has gone out to the King County small jobs inventory as well. Attached are the forms.
That is fantastic news Todd. Let me just throw an idea out there. I notice in the bid that the contactor must pay prevailing wage. Simply put you will take it in the shorts. Prevailing wage is the major cause of cost over runs in all government contracts. I don't want to start a diatribe, but that is a system that needs to be abolished. Usually end up with a bunch of losers getting paid way more than they are worth. But i digress, and onto my main question.

Our club has people of many trades and experience. Not to mention people of intelligence and resourcfulness. I am sure the club could come up with equipment and know how to at least do have 3/4 of the work. That would save tons of money to be used elsewhere on the project. Even if we had to rent the equipment we would still be way ahead and not flushing money down the toilet. Well breaks over back to work.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You speakest out of your ass, prevailing wage is Not the major.cause.of.cost overruns, cost (prevailing wage) is figured into the bid. It does raise the cost. I also disagree with calling people names who happen to luck into these jobsCarry on.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Out of retirement just to make a post about this. I will sorta side with Ritchie on this and also make a clarification.

The clarification: This project is on government land and/or funded by the city of Seatac and therefore subject to prevailing wage laws.

The commentary part 1: Cost over runs have nothing to do specifically with prevailing wage.

The commentary part 2: Prevailing wage does drive up the overall cost of the projects that must follow the applicable laws.

The commentary part 3: It's not the workers fault that they are getting paid prevailing wage or that the wage is over inflated.

The commentary part 4: Luck does not have a thing to do with it.

The commentary part 5: While I have seen a few "losers" on prevailing wage jobs I have seen way more of these types on non-prevailing wage jobs. "Losers" have trouble passing drug tests and actually showing up and meeting the requirements asssociated with prevailing wage jobs.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Not going to argue with you Ritchie I like you. I will concede the cost over run part. In my haste to write on my break I mis-typed. As Mike pointed out I meant to say inflates the overall cost. However; it does effect over runs if the project gets behind and the contractor has to take an allready way over inflated wage and time and half it or even double it. I have seen several companies fold because of those laws and can prove it. My distain is by no means in vain. Plus to clarify I did not call everyone that does it a loser( was speaking of personal experience and individuals I have had business contact with). When someone gets paid more to hold a stupid stop sign in a street with a week of training than someone with 8 years of college in the medical field, we have a government spending problem. Again I digress.

I will say no more on that subject. Just it seemed to be misunderstood.

My whole freaking point in all this is too save our club money. Why would we pay more for something than it's worth? Why would we pay more than someone would pay to have it done in there own yard? If what Mike said is true ( and I have no reason to doubt him) that we have to pay it than so be it. ( would explain why the DOT is going broke).

Again just trying to make the most of what we have. Could you maybe clarify Todd before this gets turned into a town meeting. . Do we have the legal ability to do most of the work ourselves?

If I offended anyone I am sorry, but I have seen lives destroyed because of this very thing so I am alittle sensitive to the process.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

I had what I believed was a low-cost solution with a mix of volunteer help and some guys willing to throw in some favors they were owed by some other guys with the heavy equipment experience we needed. In short, I had a line on exactly what you describe. Having to tell grown men that their many hours of attention to the matter were basically wasted...care to kick someone you like and appreciate in the nuts? It's a wooonndereful experience.

When do you stand on principle and when do you choke it down and tell yourself this is how shit gets done?

I should write a book. One starts to get the feeling that it's like this. From small-scale government all the way up to the top: what you think it's all about it's not, actually.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Suspended

I had what I believed was a low-cost solution with a mix of volunteer help and some guys willing to throw in some favors they were owed by some other guys with the heavy equipment experience we needed. In short, I had a line on exactly what you describe. Having to tell grown men that their many hours of attention to the matter were basically wasted...care to kick someone you like and appreciate in the nuts? It's a wooonndereful experience.

When do you stand on principle and when do you choke it down and tell yourself this is how shit gets done?

I should write a book. One starts to get the feeling that it's like this. From small-scale government all the way up to the top: what you think it's all about it's not, actually.
That sucks Todd. Sorry you had to do that. Its a wonder they get anything done. Hopefully we'll get back to the country our forefathers meant us to have. Anyway enough political crap.

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. Its really appreciated.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey guys, sorry to butt in with a slightly off-topic post.

I've been looking at relocating into the Seattle area due to work offers I've received and thus have been reading this forum section a lot lately, trying to get a feel for the scene, tracks, etc.

The issues you guys are facing are the same everywhere. I am in Texas now and it's no better here as far as just getting it together, getting it to happen and making everyone happen. I guess that's just how it goes.

That's pretty amazing if ya'll can get city land. So far only one track (that I know of) in this big ol' state has pulled that off.

I hope you all get it sorted out.

PS- How many trees are you talking about? I used to remove trees as a summer job when I was a teenager back in New Orleans, they grow huge there. It's not a fun job, but it's not impossible either. Was just curious.

Good luck all, I hope you get it squared away.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Always wondered why You wore those Rose colored glasses.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Hey guys, sorry to butt in with a slightly off-topic post.

I've been looking at relocating into the Seattle area due to work offers I've received and thus have been reading this forum section a lot lately, trying to get a feel for the scene, tracks, etc.

The issues you guys are facing are the same everywhere. I am in Texas now and it's no better here as far as just getting it together, getting it to happen and making everyone happen. I guess that's just how it goes.

That's pretty amazing if ya'll can get city land. So far only one track (that I know of) in this big ol' state has pulled that off.

I hope you all get it sorted out.

PS- How many trees are you talking about? I used to remove trees as a summer job when I was a teenager back in New Orleans, they grow huge there. It's not a fun job, but it's not impossible either. Was just curious.

Good luck all, I hope you get it squared away.
No offense please, And We know things are always bigger in Texas, But what You all call Mountains, We call Hills out here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.