Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Like Tree592Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
It's not my plan to break out Masters for regular club races; racers with 13.5s have been very much on pace and not rolling road blocks in our modified field.

I will be happy to sort out the 13.5s into a dedicated heat for the first round, but after that, I will let the re-sort have it's effect, whatever that may be.

For both days of the Sizzler, Masters 40+ will be its own class and field.

FWIW, I plan to race Masters at the Sizzler and will have a 13.5/blinky in for this coming Saturday. Rolling out at 4.1-4.2 with a Fantom D4.

Hopefully everyone have their TC in requirement min weight per Roar rules in all classes
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just as a counter point to the 13.5 ratios posted. The sweet spot for my Team Powers V2 seemed to be 4.5. The newer motors may like less gear. I can't wait to watch the masters class, what a great edition to the program.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
Hopefully everyone have their TC in requirement min weight per Roar rules in all classes
That is certainly the expectation. Stock, Mod, and Masters are standard ROAR TC classes with a 1350g minimum weight.

1450g for Scale Spec.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I hope the 1450 gets changed at some point... adding 100 grams to get to minimum is nuts.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lence
Trying to head-up on Wednesday? 3:00 PM +
What an amazing day of practice.

We left the house at 12:30 PM. Max brought a few of his friends to drive for the 1st time.

Max was running his CRC-XTI with a 6.5 for the 1st time outside. I was amazed at how well he drove the car. Jaco Pink, CRC SPEC in the front. Lots of on-road trucks to slice and dice. The car ran amazing, and it was great for Max to get a little feel of the Reedy 6.5 M3

I was running both my 17.5 and 4.5 ARC R11s with the 2017 parts. Really both of the cars at one point Donny built and now I am the proud owner of.

Within the 1st 5 laps, my 17.5 car smashed the wall dead on breaking many things. As my only TCs are all R11s I have like 3 or 4 of each part, I could fix it, but that is why I bought two cars.

I blame it on Max because he was talking smake to me at the time and I cannot walk and chew gum let alone talk and race. Really the fault was mine as I was telling everyone to run inside and not hit the wall.

My 4.5 car was running really well, and I ran a few rounds of practice without hitting the wall.

Eric a 1st timer, was doing very well with Mckenna's CRC, and drove hard and fast, through a full set of tires, and was 1/2 way through the next set when he followed my example and hit the wall in the same location.

Then he went on to have the same crash with the 25.5 scale spec.

Start the day with 5 cars end the day with 2.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The higher minimum weight allows some of the older tub chassis cars to still be relevant. It's just a question of when those older cars can be considered too old. This is something we will discuss at our next Comp Committee meeting I think .
Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
I hope the 1450 gets changed at some point... adding 100 grams to get to minimum is nuts.
you could always try these...

Old 07-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Only 100? Damn, you're lucky...
Old 07-27-2017, 03:48 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
The higher minimum weight allows some of the older tub chassis cars to still be relevant. It's just a question of when those older cars can be considered too old. This is something we will discuss at our next Comp Committee meeting I think .
Well
Is the Pro 4 HPI is too old ???? well ,That's the car I am current running in Scale Spec and Tamiya EVO5 in 17.5 stock
TA05 Ver2 tub chassis I finished in second Places in RRR their big race last year
Yes older TC require a lot more work to keep up with the high End today TC
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

How much weight are you adding to those?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
How much weight are you adding to those?
Well it is a little over 70gm....I heard R11 is pretty heavy as box stock :0
beside there aren't the many of racer who are running the old school TC now day
Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
Well it is a little over 70gm....I heard R11 is pretty heavy as box stock :0
beside there aren't the many of racer who are running the old school TC now day
Depends a lot on your electronics. R11 is around 1375g with a 7500 battery, box stock. Dropping 25g for 1350g is the hard part with a 7500. Then we had to go and add active toe in the rear....20 more grams....sigh

But honestly, I think 1400 is plenty without having to mortgage your house for tungsten.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
Depends a lot on your electronics. R11 is around 1375g with a 7500 battery, box stock. Dropping 25g for 1350g is the hard part with a 7500. Then we had to go and add active toe in the rear....20 more grams....sigh

But honestly, I think 1400 is plenty without having to mortgage your house for tungsten.
I was just kidding about the R11 being heavy
Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

When I ran the TC4, I used just about every "bolt-on" mod still available to shed weight. In the end with a 6000 pack, I came in just at 1450. That higher weight was the only way I was able to stay semi-competitive.

Having said that.... I'm fairly certain I was the only one running such a car (tub chassis) and being semi-competitive with it. It's not exactly the most popular car anymore.... lol.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Comp Committee has discussed the Scale Spec weight issue every year since 2009. It's not about some special love for tub cars. Scale Spec includes the recycler spirit of the original VTA movement.

I believe it was Trackside, Scotty Ernst's old track, where there was a crew of guys with left over 6-cell packs and 27t brushed motors made obsolete by the Stock TC migration to lipo and brushless. They put their heads together and came up with a way to keep all the suddenly obsolete stuff they had lying around in service while sustaining their interest in a hobby they saw running away from them. They cut down their round cell packs to four cells, bolted their Monster and Cobalt brushed motors in, slapped the HPI muscle bodies and tires on, and messed around with weight and gearing until they figured they had it right. In not too long, VTA was born. Those original 4-cell, 27t VTA cars made for slow, fun racing. (If I have the story right, a big consideration was that one of the main advocates for the class had a beloved XXXS that he insisted be competitive. It wasn't the weight so much as the spur gear limitation of that design. So, I guess in that case, it was about a very particular tub car )

It was too much fun, and they promoted the idea outside of their local scene, and other clubs took up the cause. Locally, no one wanted to run round cells, but we loved our Tamiya silver cans, so our version was lipo/540J. That was a very nice car to drive. Of course, this being racing, it took all of five seconds for "improvements" to be introduced: Big Block, 13.5, and the usual blah blah blah. That said, the lipo/540J VTA formula was a solid class for a couple seasons, with a reliable turnout at Fantasy World, especially.

This club's first Comp Committee (Knudtson, Bodine, DuTemple, Brown, Kuney) combined the great GT3 class from SIR with VTA, adopted the brand-new-at-the-time Novak 25.5 spec motor, and gave us what has been the most important class this club has run in the years since. With only two major changes in that time: USGT spec tires and ROAR-approved 25.5s, we have kept a steady spec. (If I actually were the boss, the 25.5 would be the outdoor motor as well, but I'm not, sadly )

So, now, do we lower the weight? I for one do not want to foreclose on the recycler ethos that is an important part of the class. But I also recognize that two-year-old TC6s or T4s are now "vintage," and decent rollers can be had for less than the cost of a new Tamiya tub kit (let alone the inevitable hop-ups). Extending the life of old gear is a good thing, but I am not interested in anachronism for its own sake. Go play swords at a Renn Faire if that's your thing. Taping heaps of lead and brass to otherwise trim and sporty gear is painful.

If we drop the weight to 1400g, tubs are going to suffer. But maybe that's okay? Maybe tubs are an anachronism and we needn't be constrained by how low they cannot go. The true recycler spirit may be better reflected in the secondhand Stock TC from three seasons ago (including the A700s that were once bemoaned as the death of the class! It's a funny ol' world.)

We're going to have a good discussion about the Scale Spec weight.
T-Hawk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.