Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree651Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Great work, Todd and everyone else. Sorry I didn't make it out to support tonight.

What is the next step?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Nice job Todd!!

Ritchie makes a good point, RC guys should get a crack at the construction. Alot of RC guys are in the construction field and it would be a great oppurtunity. I am down for giving my input on the complete electrical side of things, on or off the clock...

Kyle
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Next Steps

Thank you for the kind words. It is humbling.

What's next?

First off, the $19K won't be available until after the turn of the year. It will be part of the 2011 budget, which will be submitted for approval in October. Our chunk is from a King County open space grant intended for North SeaTac Park, so it can't be redirected to street lights on 180th. It's "ours," but we have to wait for it.

$19K is a nice chunk of money, but it certainly won't build the whole thing. I will be researching grants and other funding opportunities. I think it's likely we will secure some more funds along those lines, though as to the quantity and timing, I can't say. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. With the council passing the bill, the park department's posture toward the project will change as well. I expect there will be more help forthcoming. That said, they are firing people. Fewer, both in numbers and proportionately than other parks departments in the area, but they feel the crunch, too. Capital outlays are usually an easier ask than either operations or personnel. One person's $40K salary plus benefits for a year would go a long way with this project.

The point is, we have to be very creative and stretch every dollar that comes our way. In-kind contributions, especially of time and equipment, will be a huge help. Obviously, as the funding picture becomes clearer, we can start planning in greater detail. Though, I think it's obvious that first up is clearing the site. We aren't doing anything with what's there.

Onroad then offroad/offroad then onroad, supercross/euro, chicane-straight-sweeper/sweeper-straight-chicane...that's all yet to come.

In my cost work up I got bids for different parts of the project, as well as numbers from a current red book. I have a sense of what the different stages should be, though I think I'm somewhat high on most of it. And that of course assumes that we are contracting everything. There's reason to believe that the city will throw in at different parts. The maintenance shop is literally across the street. And then there's what we can do for ourselves.

So, first up: we need a database of contacts for every conceivable kind of labor, equipment, and supply that we can think of. Free lumber for a drivers stand? Perfect. A day's worth of backhoeing? Oh yea. A buddy who sells firewood commercially? Hook him up. He can have whatever he can haul out. Brainstorm first, edit later.

I am researching and writing grant requests. Any help, contacts, or suggestions are appreciated. As it happens, I don't really know anyone in the RC industry. There may be sponsorship opportunities there. Or not. I don't know.

Also, if there is the sense that this is the Seattle RC Racers' track, or Hangar 30's track, I hope that is dispelled over time. This facility should be a net gain for the racing ecosystem in the Puget Sound region. We are the friend of all race programs, and all should feel that they have a home here if they want it.

There will be more to come. And again, thanks for the support, encouragement, and participation. And double thanks again to the guys who made it last night. I felt you right behind me, and it really made a difference. The council had met me several times already, but it was you guys who gave it the stamp of legitimacy. One dude in a suit isn't exactly a new or impressive thing. But a bunch of RC zealots with their shiny cars (and a couple of badass grubby trucks) in the front row? That got their attention.

[email protected] is the contact email.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Maybe we can get them to volunteer for us!!
http://www.redrc.net/2010/09/pattaya...ng/#more-35782
Old 10-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

I'm just wondering if there's somewhere I can read updates on this center?

I moved to New Mexico but visit a couple times each year. Used to race at all the Atomic Hobby events before it closed and occasionally Seattle Indoor Raceway..
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K
I'm just wondering if there's somewhere I can read updates on this center?

I moved to New Mexico but visit a couple times each year. Used to race at all the Atomic Hobby events before it closed and occasionally Seattle Indoor Raceway..
Stay tuned here... Todd (PutAwayWet) is excellent at keeping the status updated...
Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Congratulations you guys! I saw this originally but wasn't sure how serious it all was. Definitely a huge benefit for the NW as a whole. If only we can get a council to make it sunny for more of the year!
May want to contact Gary at 4 Seasons Raceway in Lacey. He has all kinds of equipment and is very generous. I'm sure for a small fee he'd let it be borrowed to clean up the place, push dirt, etc. He had his friend come out with a bulldozer and clear a bunch of trees/shrubs at my house for a new driveway!

Good luck to all and congrats again!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Dirt and Turf

I have a couple of updates for the North SeaTac project.

First, let me apologize a little and make some excuses for letting the airwaves go silent the past couple weeks. I experienced a big relief and the inevitable deflation after the city council passed the bill. Between that, the new Hangar 30 season, the Timezone GP, coaching soccer, and y'know, work/family/life, I sort of turned my head.

But...I've got some good news and what I hope is some fuel for the imagination. The question before us is how best to proceed economically and effectively. Believing, above all, that action creates results, I would like to see something materialize at the site this spring.

As some may or may not know, Magnuson Park is a busy place. One of the club's co-tenants is Arena Sports who runs an indoor soccer program in Hangar 2. They are realizing a long-term plan to retrofit Hangar 27 for their home. In fact, they are firing up their program in Hangar 27 this fall and winter, leaving their installation at Hangar 2 for eventual scrap. In the process of making friends at Magnuson, I've become acquainted with the CEO of Arena Sports. He has generously agreed to donate all of the artificial turf for both indoor soccer fields in Hangar 2 for us to take and use. We just have to come get it. This will take place some time this fall/winter. What's more, SeaTac Parks has agreed to let us store said turf across the street from North SeaTac Park at the city's maintenance shop.

Why artificial turf you ask? In my research into offroad tracks around the world, I have repeatedly come across dual (or even triple) surface outdoor offroad tracks. Particularly in Europe where they build tracks in parks. High wear features: jumps, table tops, certain turns, are built and covered with artificial turf. As it is a public park and not someone's business and livelihood to be out there every day with a hose and wheelbarrow maintaining jump faces for customers, I truly believe this makes a ton of sense. Rather than price out a few dozen yards of high grade topsoil which mix we're going to have to take our best guess at and God help us if we're wrong, we can use the native dirt, the free turf which is in excellent condition, and build a great track (or two) on a budget.

For the skeptics, I encourage you to look at the 2006 Torino IFMAR track. Dirt and turf. Look at what they're doing in Pattaya for Buggy worlds. Dirt and turf. Look at the Euro Champs track in Austria. Dirt and turf.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Clearly, this points toward taking on the offroad tracks first. The turf score was somewhat unexpected. But if it opens a door to action, let's walk through it. Offroaders and crawlers: You're Up.

The fun part is upon us. Dreamin' and Schemin'. Thoughts and observations are welcome.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Totally agree Todd, as a long time reader of Radio Race Cars (UK Based) magazine, they race a ton on non dirt tracks. The most common surface for the Brit's appear to be natural grass surface. They also as Todd says use artificial turf and bricks as well. My .01 opinion is that we should look at all possibilities, collect as much freebies as possible and make two really cool tracks that fit our needs and those of others too.

Steve
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes, in England we go so far as to put Astroturf on top of grass !! Believe me, it's the best way for consistent traction.

Jacko
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if there is enough of it, cover the entire track, make a layout that promotes drainage. benifit of covering the entire track is you don't have to worry about the off road cars tracking dirt onto the pavement track. same with the bicycles. thinks me might hang on to the cougar a little longer
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think astroturf is a great idea, Todd. I was thinking that myself after reading one of the UK RC mags a few weeks ago. I think it would be a great way to keep the track in better shape.

As has been said, drainage is also going to be key. I don't know if any of you noticed but we seem to get a lot of rain up here.

Do you know if a water hook-up at the track will be possible? If not astroturfing the whole track will be a must. Dry, dusty tracks are no fun to race on.

I have a business trip to the UK coming up so I'll see if I can schedule in a few visits to local tracks and get some up-close pics and some tips from the local owners for us.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Turf wars...

http://www.youtube.com/user/WatchTeamDurango#p/u
Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default eyes open for ideas

Just keeping it up the list so people don't forget to think about ways to make it happen.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The only negative I see with turf is theft. It may get stolen. Sounds silly but not really, this used to happen at my old high school all the time. Also Norcal Hobbies had the same happen, they had nice turf on the infield and it was taken.

But I love the idea of doing a multiuse track. Even maybe a basher track or rally type course too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.