Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center >

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Like Tree608Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Old 06-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A couple of items I want to bring you all up on.

1. You may remember our honey bucket had been vandalized the last time out. Well, it was repaired, and then shortly after it was vandalized again. So, the parks department had been paying for it, but the rental company pulled the unit and said they would not rent to that spot again. So, I got after it and here is the new school way. We now have two honey buckets; they have been moved across the track to the BMX side. Ours are the two on the east end of the row. They have combo locks on them, which I will open on race days. A limited number of other people know the number. If you are a clubby and practice on off days, grab me at the next race and I will give you the combo. Keep it to yourself.

2. I caught hell for the tents and trucks blocking 20th Ave last time out. So, the gate will be open between 8 and 10 for drop-off and set up, but all tents have to be off the road, and all cars have to be parked on 136th.

3. I got out tonight and mowed and weed whacked around the track. It's looking quite nice. I know it's a little lumpy, but I think it's rather pleasant out there. Don't hesitate to try pitting there, or on the east side of the track. You can drop your stuff off through the BMX gate if you like.

See you Saturday
Old 06-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Race Time?

Trying to workout the schedule for tomorrow. If the gates open from 8-10, is the racing from like 11 - 4 PM for example?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lence
Trying to workout the schedule for tomorrow. If the gates open from 8-10, is the racing from like 11 - 4 PM for example?
That's pretty typical. 11 am Q1 , Depends on turn out, could be more like 5pm end ?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Default 1July2017 Race Report

It gets better, against all fair expectation, it gets better. We were 50 entries strong, the weather was what I consider “Seattle Perfect”--a morning marine layer that gives way to the sun at midday, treating us to hot afternoon qualifying, and happy hour mains. Mwah! So nice.

A big thank you to Jake and Mike who revived the old Fantasy World spray rig. Jake took it, and 12(?) jugs of soda, and laid down a thick, even coat over the whole track. Conditions were superb.

I know I go on and on about Scale Spec, but y'know, it really does the trick for this club. Mike B was the dominant driver of the day, and I'll simply state that he handed out the beatings liberally. So, that left Gary, Jim, and Stuart (throwing in for the first time in years) to fight out the “best of the rest” honors. Gary and Jim are longtime friends, but on track they are fierce rivals. On this Saturday, it was Jim who had the upper hand, though only just, as the two of them battled each other and managed traffic for the entire main.

We had a three-car Novice turnout for qualifying, and they had a wonderful time and requited themselves admirably. I'll call out that young Emma Lence has taken up the 1/12th scale cause handed down by her older sister McKenna, who was off doing some other summertime thing. Sara caught on quickly in her first-ever race, driving a TA05 to good effect and an eventual TQ. I hope we see them again.

Modified Touring drew the usual crew of stars, and I'll get to them. But first, a wave goes to Matt Percival who got himself a hall pass from toddler duty, and where do you think he wanted to spend his Saturday? With us! Considering he doesn't get out much, he drove with conviction and speed. Nice work, Matt! Anyway, Trav TQ'd, putting Korey on the two-step. But, to their mutual dismay and frustration, Trav and Stuart found each other again in the main warm-up and both were broken out of the race. It was one of those things, and I won't belabor it, but for a few minutes you could tell that given the means, they would have blood eagled each other on the drivers stand. But, they cooled off, and they had conciliatory words afterward, for which I must extend gratitude to Trav for making the first move and talking it through with Stuart. It was one of those times when a watchful father waits to see how things shake out, as there are lessons to learn and character to reveal that don't necessarily follow from dad stepping in and trying to make it happen. It's the second time they've destroyed each other, the last being the chassis snapping affair last season. I think two is enough. No more! After that, Korey was rampant in the main, with Jake and Brian in a close two-three fight that this time went to the Russian Concussion.

Gary and Jim swapped places in the Formula One race, with Gary leading the way for most of the day and following through for the win in the main. Jim challenged hard, but he had back luck in the main and had to retire early, opening the door for Dave Hawley come through for a good second place. I'll say I think the Seatac R/C Raceway offers the best F1 action I've seen.

Stock Touring was another furious fight between Donny and George for the two-spot. Korey was gone-dy all day, TQ'ing and checking out in the main. Donny has been quick since he first showed up ages ago at SIR, so in that respect, it was no surprises. But George is a more recent addition, coming up from Cali last year and joining us for 1/12th and TC both. He is quick. George had the better of Donny in qualifying, but Donny turned the table in the main, getting by for a solid second place, trailed closely by George.

Modified 1/12th has gotten better and better throughout the season, and we have finally drawn even with the Mod TCs in qualifying times. I think some credit must go to the excellent track prep, but also the hard work we've put in is having its effect. And George! He has gotten fast, so we are now a legit three amigos. Sadly, Stuart kitted his car in the third qual, leaving George and I to settle it between ourselves. Tragically, after six-30 of nose to tail, we got together and broke each other out. Not how I want to see it go, and for sure we know better...(sigh).

We take a longer break, leaving room for the TZGP, which a whole crew from up here will be supporting in two weeks time. But we come back at the end of the month. Good luck to all, both in Battle Ground, and in Victoria, where I know a handful are bound next weekend.

Results attached.
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-finalresults_07-01-2017.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It was a great day of racing for sure.

Scale Spec is truly a fun class to run within our club. I think mine is ready for the TZGP....maybe haha. Would love to see more of the fast guys run it. I know, there's a lot of people that want Scale Spec to be for the slower guys, but that's not the intent of the class at all. Having the fast guys run it really teaches you a lot about set up and driving skill. Having the fast guys in there gives everyone a great opportunity to ask questions from people who may be a little more advanced than you are. And don't think for a second that the fast guys don't ask questions amongst themselves, they most certainly do.

I've been testing a lot of things on my car, some work, some don't. The club as a whole isn't elitist at all. Don't be afraid to ask some questions, most people will be glad to help the best they can.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

It was 18 to 20 bottles of soda to cover the entire surface ( instead of just spraying the racing line for that particular layout ). There was also a residual amount of soda from a previous track prep, which increased the grip in the groove for that particular layout.

Curious if people in all classes liked that layout ? I found it fast but also technical in mod TC, allowing a couple places to attempt passes.

Jake
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

I thought it was a great layout! I'd say it raced well for all classes, and the east side was/is a challenge every time we take it at speed. I'm going to stop calling it a sweeper, though. The west side is a proper sweeper, the east side, particularly with the bump on the outside, is more of a two turn combo through which it's possible to carry momentum if the turn-in is correct.

And here at Team Mason, we don't say that cavalierly! Stuart kitted his 1/12th scale in Q3 bouncing it off that darn thing and into the boulder. Ouch. It's one of those "keep it real" features on the track.

All that said, yes, it is another solid option.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I wonder if this layout with a mandatory chicane at the bump in the road would be worth putting into play? Would help both the bump and those that found the barrier by getting wide at high speed. We had thought it was a possibility, maybe this is a reason to do it. This layout had a couple spots that if you hit it right felt good, but it seemed to hard to do consistently. A nice challenge.

-a
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I thought it was a great layout! I'd say it raced well for all classes, and the east side was/is a challenge every time we take it at speed. I'm going to stop calling it a sweeper, though. The west side is a proper sweeper, the east side, particularly with the bump on the outside, is more of a two turn combo through which it's possible to carry momentum if the turn-in is correct.

And here at Team Mason, we don't say that cavalierly! Stuart kitted his 1/12th scale in Q3 bouncing it off that darn thing and into the boulder. Ouch. It's one of those "keep it real" features on the track.

All that said, yes, it is another solid option.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
It was a great day of racing for sure.

Scale Spec is truly a fun class to run within our club. I think mine is ready for the TZGP....maybe haha. Would love to see more of the fast guys run it. I know, there's a lot of people that want Scale Spec to be for the slower guys, but that's not the intent of the class at all. Having the fast guys run it really teaches you a lot about set up and driving skill. Having the fast guys in there gives everyone a great opportunity to ask questions from people who may be a little more advanced than you are. And don't think for a second that the fast guys don't ask questions amongst themselves, they most certainly do.

I've been testing a lot of things on my car, some work, some don't. The club as a whole isn't elitist at all. Don't be afraid to ask some questions, most people will be glad to help the best they can.

Couldn't agree with this more. Scale Spec is a pretty kick-ass class, and I'm having a ball running it this summer.

I'm gonna "grow some balls" as Korey put it, and move up to run Stock for indoors, but Scale Spec has honestly been the best way for me to get acclimated to racing again. Been a long time, but I'm having the more fun racing now than ever!

P.S. I figured out that my "rolling chicane" car for the Main was NOT a speedo issue, but rather the sensor wire connection to the ESC. The speedo had a nasty dead spot and only gave partial throttle, almost like it went into "limp-mode".

I fully blame my crew chief for this, and I take back all the terrible things I said under my breath about my Justock ESC. Lova ya, Hobbywing!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was kidding (kinda). Just do whatever class is most fun for you .

I liked that layout. It had it's own set of challenges that some others don't. I think a legit chicane back by "the bump" would be interesting. It would change the dynamic of that area of the track a lot.

-Korey
Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I was kidding (kinda). Just do whatever class is most fun for you .

I liked that layout. It had it's own set of challenges that some others don't. I think a legit chicane back by "the bump" would be interesting. It would change the dynamic of that area of the track a lot.

-Korey

I know, I thought it was pretty funny. Wednesday Night Worlds can't come soon enough.

A chicane would be pretty cool. Coming from a Scale Spec standpoint, It'd prevent us going full wood for 50% of the layout, and would add an interesting braking/passing zone. Otherwise, I really dug the layout.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I might be heading down that way for practice at the track this Wednesday. Would anyone need me to bring anything? 10% off sale untill July 4th as well.
I need to justify the trip to my wife
Old 07-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sounds like Myself, Mr. GripworksRc and Peeler are going to have a weds practice session if anyone can break loose we will be there all day
Old 07-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by REECE.
Sounds like Myself, Mr. GripworksRc and Peeler are going to have a weds practice session if anyone can break loose we will be there all day
If anyone needs me to bring anything specific email at [email protected]
Text at
Old 07-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Was there practicing today and the track is in great shape. Won't make it tomorrow. Have fun all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.