Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
What would you want in an indoor onroad track? >

What would you want in an indoor onroad track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you want in an indoor onroad track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

you'd only have to compare SIR summer turnout to FW turnout to see most disagree
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
you'd only have to compare SIR summer turnout to FW turnout to see most disagree

That's okay, it's just my opinion....also not a knock on FW by any means (or any other parking lot program). It's my preference to run on a dedicated track when possible.

Also, comparing any future indoor onroad endeavors to SIR is useful only to a point. Different people involved, location, financial situation, "politics", among many other things determine success or failure. Granted, you won't see me opening up a shop/track anytime soon...or ever.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I used to race down at SoCal, and can tell you that indoor asphault is BADASS. Ritchie is right... it is NOT dirty, traction is the most consistent, and it never wears out or needs replacing. And since it is indoors and meant only for RC cars, it can be absolutly as smooth and bumpfree as you want it to be, making it perfect for 1/12th and WGT as well.

But since I am stuck way out on the peninsula, I probably wont be able to race there anyway
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Bow to the Mullet King

Originally Posted by joeymdz
rc plus is 70x35

its not that small mullet king
I wasn't saying anything bad about RC Plus. I love the track, I was just trying to put it in perspective. 6000 sq ft / 2450 sq ft = 2.45 times as big. OOPS my bad. LOL

Troy
Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Indoor asphalt sounds really cool

Probably the best combo would be an indoor carpet track with a great outdoor asphalt track (parking lot or other) and a hobby shop catering to racers as well as bashers and backyard guys. I personally like the season changes, running carpet in the winter and the classes that offers. Then running asphalt in the late spring and summer.

I think one thing to think about is an indoor facility is great up here 8 months out of the year. but, the hot months are a killer. No one wants to be inside. Air conditioning would be very expensive. In the summer Indoor turnouts would be way down, and all the gas guys will be outside.

my .02
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

there needs to be a indoor carpet or asphalt track in the everett area . at least for the people inbetween north and south as seems like all the tracks are either in seattle or further south and skagit and further north. sucks in order to play with my cars for a day it involves a roadtrip . i personally like carpet.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
Probably the best combo would be an indoor carpet track with a great outdoor asphalt track (parking lot or other) and a hobby shop catering to racers as well as bashers and backyard guys. I personally like the season changes, running carpet in the winter and the classes that offers. Then running asphalt in the late spring and summer.

I think one thing to think about is an indoor facility is great up here 8 months out of the year. but, the hot months are a killer. No one wants to be inside. Air conditioning would be very expensive. In the summer Indoor turnouts would be way down, and all the gas guys will be outside.

my .02
+1
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I've always thought about having a covered outdoor track.
The structure would be simple and less expensive than a regular building, and yet it would allow racing year round. You could even run gas if you wanted.
You would still have seasons and temperatures to contend with, but this would just make the racing a little more realistic. Being covered, and permanent, you would always have a groove and be able to hook up--even in the winter.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

To elaborate on the HYPOTHETICAL location SHOULD one be built it would be between exit 135-140 on I-5 and be located within a mile or two of the onramp.

I can say that it is very unlikely nitro would be allowed ever due to location and surrounding businesses.

I am quite sure the previous business was required to have heating and air conditioning which would mean that part is already taken care of.

Currently I am thinking asphalt is more realistic but I have more things to consider.
Main thing is that the selling side of R/C is extremely volatile. I am a small volume dealer for Traxxas/AE/Kyosho etc already and have found many obstacles in getting there including less-than-friendly people already in the business. So I am going to work very hard to not step on any toes or burn any bridges if this becomes a reality. Another important factor is startup costs. Asphalt seems a little cheaper to begin with and maintain?

To be honest my dream is an offroad facility but with 4S and TRCR (and now a track in Bremerton to if its done?) there is way too much competition and the startup is way too expensive.

I started as a basher and would definitely want to cater to that crowd as well so would definitely keep that in mind. However "basher" type inventory is A LOT and the main focus in the beginning are OEM and AEM parts for the vehicles being raced. That brings up another point......What is the most popular kit for racing right now? My only experience in these cars is a couple TT-01 drifters and a TC3. Neither of which are racing machines.

Either way the building needs more work than originally expected so IF this were to happen it wouldn't be up and running until end of the outdoor racing season here anyway.
I am also curious how many people would be interested in helping build such a venue? As stated before I don't know much about onroad yet so would need suggestions and ideas on how to make it most successful. Especially from the group I would be promoting to the most. I can't offer monetary compensation for any work performed but would be happy to offer something like an hour worked = hour of free track time or something similar? Ideas on that are welcome also.

I appreciate all the input so far and welcome more.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
One word: TIMEZONE!
Wish they were closer ... it's 350 miles round trip for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jubilee
That's okay, it's just my opinion....also not a knock on FW by any means (or any other parking lot program). It's my preference to run on a dedicated track when possible.

Also, comparing any future indoor onroad endeavors to SIR is useful only to a point. Different people involved, location, financial situation, "politics", among many other things determine success or failure. Granted, you won't see me opening up a shop/track anytime soon...or ever.
no problem,

little side story, i lobbied doug pretty hard for a outdoor program at SIR. we had a track out front, doug hated the idea, some racers just stayed inside and practiced instead of coming outside, (they had your opinion), but as soon as the first car that pulled into the parking and the man stepped out and said, "hey i didn't know you guys were here, i drive by all the time" let me go home and get my toys and i'll be right back" then doug understood the importance of the outdoor program. back to your regular thread now.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DIALED
I've always thought about having a covered outdoor track.
The structure would be simple and less expensive than a regular building, and yet it would allow racing year round. You could even run gas if you wanted.
You would still have seasons and temperatures to contend with, but this would just make the racing a little more realistic. Being covered, and permanent, you would always have a groove and be able to hook up--even in the winter.
reminds me of Burien, kinda like sort of.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
To elaborate on the HYPOTHETICAL location SHOULD one be built it would be between exit 135-140 on I-5 and be located within a mile or two of the onramp.

I can say that it is very unlikely nitro would be allowed ever due to location and surrounding businesses.

I am quite sure the previous business was required to have heating and air conditioning which would mean that part is already taken care of.

Currently I am thinking asphalt is more realistic but I have more things to consider.
Main thing is that the selling side of R/C is extremely volatile. I am a small volume dealer for Traxxas/AE/Kyosho etc already and have found many obstacles in getting there including less-than-friendly people already in the business. So I am going to work very hard to not step on any toes or burn any bridges if this becomes a reality. Another important factor is startup costs. Asphalt seems a little cheaper to begin with and maintain?

To be honest my dream is an offroad facility but with 4S and TRCR (and now a track in Bremerton to if its done?) there is way too much competition and the startup is way too expensive.

I started as a basher and would definitely want to cater to that crowd as well so would definitely keep that in mind. However "basher" type inventory is A LOT and the main focus in the beginning are OEM and AEM parts for the vehicles being raced. That brings up another point......What is the most popular kit for racing right now? My only experience in these cars is a couple TT-01 drifters and a TC3. Neither of which are racing machines.

Either way the building needs more work than originally expected so IF this were to happen it wouldn't be up and running until end of the outdoor racing season here anyway.
I am also curious how many people would be interested in helping build such a venue? As stated before I don't know much about onroad yet so would need suggestions and ideas on how to make it most successful. Especially from the group I would be promoting to the most. I can't offer monetary compensation for any work performed but would be happy to offer something like an hour worked = hour of free track time or something similar? Ideas on that are welcome also.

I appreciate all the input so far and welcome more.
count me in, more then happy to help out, no charge, no comp needed. can only do nights and weekends
I think you'll find the local guys will be more then happy to help out,

as far as car kits, anything from AE TC5, xray, Schumacher, to tamiya, its all over, probably more xrays then anything, with AE coming in 2nd
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Thanks a lot Sky. Would be much appreciated. I would never ask someone to work for free and surely not a stranger so that means a lot. I could at least bring the beer!

Will keep updating as things go and I find out more information. This is not even to the crawl phase yet so please be patient.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KR145
http://www.timezoneracing.com/

heres the link should get you a clue.
I've been to there website at least ten times, and does not answer my questions. Why the smart ass vibes man?

I mean get a clue man, I was speaking of TZ not TZ2. Which TZ looks like NW's only permenent facility. And it looks way to open for the electric guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.