Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it? >

Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it?

Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it?

The Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation has a relatively new superintendent who is looking to make use of a lot of open/unused space in a number of Seattle area parks. In California this is a proven model as there are a number of very well known and high end tracks located in city parks. The Skagit River Raceway in Burlington is located on park property and has been enormously successful.

This is the very early stages but there is a group of us interested in petitioning Seattle Parks and Rec to consider building or allowing someone to build an outdoor off-road track on park land. We would need to show that there is interest and the intent to use the facility by a significant number of people (that number is not known right now).

Hypothetically, if there was a decent sized, well maintained off-road track open to multiple classes, nitro and electric and free to the public to practice located in Magnuson Park would you use it? What about a different Seattle city park? Would it be a primary track for you or just a special occasion track? We're trying to ascertain whether there is enough interest in off-road RC racing within Seattle city limits to justify an in-park track and if so, which park.

We encourage you to offer feedback, criticism or praise and to share your ideas for how this plan might work! Thank you.

Last edited by jerobert; 09-09-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Correcting Title
Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is a fantastic idea and it's one I've had before. It would be great to see something like this happen, there are some challenges of course, but I would be one that would use it.

Whenever I see a unused golf course I always wonder why there aren't any R/C Club Courses. Something that can host a variety of land and air users. I'd be willing to pay $500-1000 a year on such a club as a member.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

This is a real good possibility. I would look at it. There are a lot of details that probably are more important than the track it self. However, getting a track where hobbyists can come and play is a great start.
Genghes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am hoping to get a gauge of how many of us live in Seattle and have to drive an hour in any direction to find the closest off road track.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default New Track

Hummm! Interesting concept. Magnuson Park isn't very far from my current house and would certainly be tempting to use. Of course when we move to Eatonville, not so much.

Granpa
Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jerobert
The Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation has a relatively new superintendent who is looking to make use of a lot of open/unused space in a number of Seattle area parks. In California this is a proven model as there are a number of very well known and high end tracks located in city parks. The Skagit River Raceway in Burlington is located on park property and has been enormously successful.

This is the very early stages but there is a group of us interested in petitioning Seattle Parks and Rec to consider building or allowing someone to build an outdoor off-road track on park land. We would need to show that there is interest and the intent to use the facility by a significant number of people (that number is not known right now).

Hypothetically, if there was a decent sized, well maintained off-road track open to multiple classes, nitro and electric and free to the public to practice located in Magnuson Park would you use it? What about a different Seattle city park? Would it be a primary track for you or just a special occasion track? We're trying to ascertain whether there is enough interest in off-road RC racing within Seattle city limits to justify an in-park track and if so, which park.

We encourage you to offer feedback, criticism or praise and to share your ideas for how this plan might work! Thank you.
Since this is exactly what I was going to do in Longview (300 house subdivision Put the brakes on it) I figured Id give ya my Opinion.

There will be a lot of work as well as $ to accomplish this. The location is still a long ways North, Lots of Racers in Tacoma area and is quite a drive North.
Area 52 is in that similar area.... as well

The Federal way area would be more centralized for the Seattle/Tacoma crews and not to bad for travel from Portland as well..

Nothing happens Fast with the County/City. Could take a Year to finalize. And plan on about $25,000-$35000 minimum for all the amenities, Stand, Power,Water, Fence, Dirt, etc etc etc. Some Municipaliities will have a capital investment if there is a return investment to them, like consessions or % of rac fees, this could make some initial cost a bit smaller.

It is a LARGE commitement for sure... But could be well worth it in the end. Another Plus would be a dedicated Hobby Shop to be present at the Track on Race weekends. Tuff for a Track to survive with out Parts support.

I spent almost 2 years on this to have it blow up in the final months of planning, and Cowlitz county REALLY wanted it to succed as well....

Anyways my $.02

Stav
Old 09-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I appreciate your input, Chris. We love area 52. But it is more than an hour from Seattle.

We're trying to start smaller and see what type of traction it receives. Seattle has a progressive new Superintendant, so hopefully he'll consider it.

Magnusson is a de-militarized naval base with lots of land and areas away from housing.

But we'll see.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerobert
Hypothetically, if there was a decent sized, well maintained off-road track open to multiple classes, nitro and electric and free to the public to practice located in Magnuson Park would you use it? What about a different Seattle city park? Would it be a primary track for you or just a special occasion track?
I live in Seattle and I'd definitely use such a track. When I lived in Boston, outdoor offroad was my favorite form of racing. After moving here, I switched to onroad because there was no outdoor offroad close enough to Seattle. There still isn't.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Great feedback Chris. I'm sorry to hear all your hard work was frittered away. Working with (or against) private land “committees” can be incredibly frustrating.

If we can put together enough signatures showing interest we might convince the city to contribute some labor, machinery, materials, etc. Right now they're willing to invest in skate parks that include large pools, ramps, railings, etc. That can't be cheap.

We're also thinking that the track would start off relatively sparce and really be about land claim. Once we can show consistent usage we can go back to the city and ask for more support to expand the program/track. In the near term, we have access to a tractor with all the attachments needed to move the earth around. Granted it would be nice to get several dozen truckloads of clay dirt in there to trick it out but just laying down the track with some corrugated pipe boundaries would be a great start. Then a driver's stand and go from there.

How many of you would sign a petition for a Seattle city park off-road track (even if you wouldn't use it all that much)?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would sign a petition and use as I live in seattle not far from that, It would be great. John B.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I would definately be interested if what you are suggesting could actually be delievered. Any thought on just having dirt, dirt. I used to race on normal dirt many years ago and it was quite fun. It might help to just get the ball rolling to do it simple, then a year or so later discuss changes then.

Keep us posted.

Steve
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We're busy gathering data from the largerst online retailers (how many visitors and orders from the Seattle area), top RC related periodicals (subscription numbers) and any other data we can find to support an arguement that a park facility would be used by a significant number of residents. It's an uphill battle for sure but one that's worth trying.

Anyone know a Parks and Rec employee who loves RC car racing?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

i would use the track.. that would be great if it would actually happen.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

I will definately sign a petition. Unfortunately I would only be able to use it for special events. I am down in Olympia.

BeRad
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Magnuson Park? Really?

Originally Posted by jnyrcr
I would sign a petition and use as I live in seattle not far from that, It would be great. John B.
BOYEEEE! That would be great for me,too.I'm a Seattle boy,too. No way anyone could keep the BMX ers off of the track,however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.