Originally Posted by malkiy
You need to start racing again
I may, or may not be building something right now
Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
I may, or may not be building something right now
Will be great to see you come back. I’m sure it wont take you long to get back to national level speed.

Now talk Garber into coming back.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

UGGGHHHHHHHHH. Is it time for a Hangar race yet? My family is driving me crazy
Old 10-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nortran11
UGGGHHHHHHHHH. Is it time for a Hangar race yet? My family is driving me crazy
Are you sure YOU'RE not driving them crazy? I saw where you pitted last time....
Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Seattle RC Racers and all friends. We are H30 racing tonight! Get your Wednesday night race on.

I was a bit mixed up at one point about when we were racing. Two red-eyes to NYC in the space of a week can mess a guy up, and since then I've been balls to the wall and not sure which way was up. In short, pay no attention. Check the calendar!

SRCR Calendar
Old 10-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30, Round 2 Results

The race report is a couple days late, that's totally my fault. I've been trolling the deepest, darkest corners of the Dark Web in search of all-steel transmission gears for a Tamiya M-03. As always, a big thanks to Jesse for the (promptly written) race report.

Like the familiar snuggle of an old pair of underwear, the Hangar 30 bullring fits into the Northwest RC landscape as a stabilizing force in uncertain times. Our humble Wednesday night rumbles become an event, while the track itself becomes that friendly face that welcomes you with open arms, yet has the uncanny ability to savagely bitch-slap your pride if disrespected. One month on since the last midweek tilt, those that attended round two of "Wednesday Night Worlds" came hungry for a damn-fine set of heats, entertaining mains, and some bonus practice time to boot. As if that wasn't enough, there was international flavor, as we had a visit from the UK's Alistair Walker. With all this fun, you'd never know that our sport is on on the brink of collapse... or is it?

As many of us have seen & read, there's been a barrage of chatter on the interwebs about the 'State of RC'. While I believe that (as with any competition based activity) there will always be a degree of issues or incidents that arise, what I don't believe is that suddenly my beloved nerdy pastime is on life support and "needs to be saved." In fact, I take offense to it.

If there is one major glaring problem in this hobby that I see, it's that of perception.

It's no secret that this hobby isn't the cheapest form of entertainment around. It never has been, nor was it ever meant to be a "cheap thrill". That doesn't mean however, that a racer needs to go buck-wild to have a bitchin' time. Paul Nortness debuted his new $110.00 3Racing Sakura touring car in Scale Spec on Wednesday. Why is this worthy of inclusion in a race report? Simple: The budget chassis is what represented the Scale Spec class during it's heyday. Never was the size of your pocketbook the determining factor for our bread and butter class. It's nice to see a racer get back to the basics of what I still call my favorite class. Contrary to popular belief, the budget racer is alive and well.

I watched as friends and track rivals Todd Mason and Brian Bodine traded blows yet again in the Stock 12th scale class. Todd has begun to up his game substantially, pushing Brian and Stuart harder with each race, but that didn't stop the smiles and good camaraderie. Contrary to popular opinion, you can race someone clean, hard, and to the brink; all while equally enjoying the moment across all involved.

For the first time since I rejoined this hobby, I felt myself take a step forward in my own Stock TC program. You won't see it on a time sheet, but rather my personal confidence. As my goals and accomplishments have changed with each race, I finally felt the confidence to really dig in a push to catch someone that is truly faster than me. Because of this, I now have setup changes to make and lines to tidy up. No longer do I feel like I'm just "in the race", but rather a part of it. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to finish first to "win". You just need realistic goals based on your skills.

I watched what has to be the most refreshing thing to occur in club racing in quite some time. The novel idea of several like-minded idiots racing ridiculous "hobbyist" race cars in a 6-minute pit-maneuver-fueled shit show. He who laughs most is the real winner here. While we all cherish our good, clean competition, having a fun class like open novice is a great way to break up the mood. Contrary to popular belief, 'Run what ya brung' racing is a breath of fresh air, and something that this hobby could use more of.

The truth is, RC doesn't need to be "fixed", but rather the perception of those participating in it. Or, rather it could be that On-Road doesn't suffer from the same pitfalls that the Off-Road segment is struggling with. Or, maybe it's just our club and local community that is weathering the storm better than others. Or, maybe, there was never a problem to begin with. Whatever your feelings are on the 'State of RC', I think we can all agree that we have it pretty damn good in the PNW. Thanks to all those that make racing bitchin'.

Join us for more bitchin' times tonight at the Community Center Gym! Doors at 5, racing at 7. Be there.

Results can be viewed here.
JeffofSpace likes this.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Apologies if I rambled a bit. Tried something new on this one but I kinda missed the “race report” part of it.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Howdy, hope y'all are well. I am looking to make the Nov 14th race at Hanger 30. Looking to run the Stock touring with my TC5 17.5 but wondering if you guys run a VTA class or etc?

https://seattlercracers.com/onroad-racing/

Old 10-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 27Oct2018 Race Report

Happy Halloween to all of the Seattle RC Racers out there! We raced last night. At 24 entries, It was definitely a lighter turnout than normal, which some thought was maybe because Diehard was opening their season, but I checked and saw only a couple of guys who I might call regular onroaders. Nah. It was Halloween party night, plus anyone with kids in school has about 40 things going during fall weekends.

We were graced with Andrew Cartwright's presence (and Debbie's), and I had a chance to talk with him. Andrew has been racing for a very long time and has seen ebbs and flows. He does think that our hosting indoors and outdoors, plus the revival of Rose City, Vancouver BC, and NORA has simply thinned out our fields. The Canadian dollar at 0.76c makes for an expensive visit for our northern friends—that's a factor. But mainly, being both year round, and no longer the only game in town has changed the dynamic for us.

We do need to work on our outreach and awareness. There is a threshold for enjoying onroad racing that can be hard to get past, which simply puts a greater premium on getting new guys to try it. At the same time, it's just plain tough to get good. It takes time and there are no shortcuts. I don't think people are too lazy to try, or have an instant gratification mindset. That gets thrown around sometimes and I think it's an easy but cheap comment to make. I think it's more of an energy allocation thing that people do. It pretty quickly sinks in that it's a long haul to master the sport, and along the way you'll have to suck up some fair to middlin' results. Guys then do the calculation and make their decision. Myself, I've done the same with golf. I have total respect for that game and admire my few friends who can strike the ball and credibly claim to be playing the game. Me? I'm just swinging sticks in a pretty grass field. Truly, my ineptitude dishonors the grounds keeping effort. I know what I would have to do to get better; I'm just not willing to make that investment at this time. I have to say the same must apply to the guys who look at our sport. It looks awesome. It surely must be fun to be a competent racer. But, it's just not in the cards for them. Fair enough. We have to find the few who will flip the switch to “go” and put in the time.

NORA is pulling good entries this fall, as their new track and fresh look has upped the interest. I happen to enjoy NORA very much, and Jim and the crew are doing good things there, so it's not like I feel there is a problem. So, y'know, maybe it's NORA's turn to be the belle of the ball. That's ok. I don't have to call races when I go to NORA. That's a good thing!

Meanwhile, we still have Big Smooth. Truth is, there's nothing like it anywhere. I've been to New York, and as good as that track is, ours takes it. If hauling ass is your thing, Seattle is still number one. Especially with a fresh vacuum, which we did last night. The track was immaculate. Also, teardown went like butter. Again. Thanks for hanging! Many hands make light work.

Big Chill next weekend. That 0.76c Canadian dollar? That works in our favor. Team Mason is having a crack at some Canadian fun. Hope to see you there.

Heats and all the data are up on RCScoringPro.com

Results attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mains 27Oct2018.pdf (230.6 KB, 60 views)
Q2 27Oct2018.pdf (228.9 KB, 33 views)
Q1 27Oct2018.pdf (229.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-29-2018, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by justinart24
Howdy, hope y'all are well. I am looking to make the Nov 14th race at Hanger 30. Looking to run the Stock touring with my TC5 17.5 but wondering if you guys run a VTA class or etc?
Justin, the Hangar doesn't run a 17.5 class.....Per ROAR rules, Stock TC is 21.5. The closest thing to VTA would be Scale Spec.

Here's the current specs and rules...

https://seattlercracers.com/specsrules/
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nortran11
Justin, the Hangar doesn't run a 17.5 class.....Per ROAR rules, Stock TC is 21.5. The closest thing to VTA would be Scale Spec.
Here's the current specs and rules...
https://seattlercracers.com/specsrules/
Thanks for the info! I will have to pick up a 21.5 motor before then. For the Scale Spec class, what kind of bodies and setups are people running? Silvercans? 25.5 motors? Thanks in advance! I look forward to racing again.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justinart24
Thanks for the info! I will have to pick up a 21.5 motor before then. For the Scale Spec class, what kind of bodies and setups are people running? Silvercans? 25.5 motors? Thanks in advance! I look forward to racing again.
There is a club/region spec 25.5 MaClan motor....They may have some left for $60... All the rules are on the site
justinart24 likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
There is a club/region spec 25.5 MaClan motor....They may have some left for $60... All the rules are on the site
I think NORA is still roar approved open motor.
justinart24 likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I think NORA is still roar approved open motor.
Yeah, NORA is just ROAR approved 25.5. Definitely look into any restrictions at your local venue (and others nearby you may like to attend). If I didn't already have the Reedy, I would probably looking at the Maclean just in case I wanted to run w/ the Seattle group on occasion. So technically as is I couldn't run my TC w/ them unless I bought a new motor...which honestly isn't likely to happen. Now would they let me run my Reedy ROAR motor for a 1 or 2 off race as an exception...maybe. It would be something I'd have to check w/ the race organizers before I committed to driving 1.5-2 hours each way.

Fortunately I have my RT 21.5 F1 car.

Edited to remove my mis-information.

Last edited by Helios; 10-29-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:14 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Helios
Yeah, NORA is just ROAR approved 25.5. But if you plan on running w/ the Seattle or Vancouver, BC clubs, they utilite the Maclean as a "Spec" motor. Double check though...I seem to recall hearing they were both utilizing the same motor to allow drivers to run back and forth w/o having to swap equipment. Good food for thought if you haven't purchased a motor already. If I didn't already have the Reedy, I would probably looking at the Maclean just in case I wanted to run w/ one of the groups on occasion. So technically as is I couldn't run my TC w/ them unless I bought a new motor...which honestly isn't likely to happen. Now would they let me run my Reedy ROAR motor for a 1 or 2 off race as an exception...maybe. It would be something I'd have to check w/ the race organizers before I committed to driving 1.5-2 hours each way.

Fortunately I have my RT 21.5 F1 car.
Vancouver BC Canada Scale Spec are 21.5 open ROAR approved not 25.5Tmotor...
Helios likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.